Winter 2014-2015

Aikenrooster

I read in the paper on Sunday that as there are those who suffer in the winter due to some kind of seasonal disorder, those that love winter suffer the same in the summer. It mentioned those who cringe when they hear "Folks, today there will be sunshine and 90 degrees!" That's me. I hate the summer and love the winter. :)

On a morning like this, I can understand that point of view.

The temp here just got above freezing, but I am not complaining about the temp. On the contrary, it is truly a beautiful day outside -- refreshingly crisp with clear blue skies and sunlight illuminating the fall colors in brilliant contrast.

It is a pleasure just to stand outside and watch the leaves fall on such a morning.

• Like 2

I read in the paper on Sunday that as there are those who suffer in the winter due to some kind of seasonal disorder, those that love winter suffer the same in the summer. It mentioned those who cringe when they hear "Folks, today there will be sunshine and 90 degrees!" That's me. I hate the summer and love the winter. :)

The temp here just got above freezing, but I am not complaining about the temp. On the contrary, it is truly a beautiful day outside -- refreshingly crisp with clear blue skies and sunlight illuminating the fall colors in brilliant contrast.

It is a pleasure just to stand outside and watch the leaves fall on such a morning.

Just make sure you have those slippers on so you don't catch a cold. ;)

I think this is the third straight night its gotten below 32. This weather sucks

I have heard from my parents the same thing. That weather system finally made it here. It was around 32 here last night. Today is a sunny, clear, crisp 50 degrees...

By the time in the morning I thought to make the post about what a beautiful morning it was watching the leaves fall, I was dressed in several layers. T-shirt underneath, long sleeve shirt over that, bigger fleece long sleeve shirt over that, thick coat over it all.

Feet were well protected as well, starting with woolen socks.

When it is cold like this (hovering around ten degrees with wind chill), I wear two pairs of thermal tops and bottoms, turtleneck, insulated vest, pullover sweater and a hooded sweatshirt with two pairs of those fingerless gloves. Woolen socks too with knee high insulated boots.

When it is cold like this (hovering around ten degrees with wind chill), I wear two pairs of thermal tops and bottoms, turtleneck, insulated vest, pullover sweater and a hooded sweatshirt with two pairs of those fingerless gloves. Woolen socks too with knee high insulated boots.

Are you in there somewhere?.... :LOL:
  • Like 2

It has been cold all week. There was a lockdown at my college that lasted for almost 2 hours.

At least no one was hurt. Classes were cancelled. Then two days later, I saw Fleetwood Mac.

• Like 1

Just stopped in Genesseo, IL, east of Quad cities. Only a couple of inches of snow, but Illinois ain't touched the roads. Hirschbach did a 180 and was pointed the other way on the freeway. I don't know how he kept it from rolling oover or jackknifing.

Call me a pussy, but I'm not risking it anymore. Too many close calls through the years.

Actually, you can't catch a cold by exposure to cold temperatures. Colds are caused by a virus. You catch them because you're inside more, and thus more prone to—

…Yeah, I don't care either.

• Like 3

Actually, you can't catch a cold by exposure to cold temperatures. Colds are caused by a virus. You catch them because you're inside more, and thus more prone to—

I don't go out much in the winter and the cold I have now is the first one I've had in about three years, so I don't know about catching colds because you are inside more. And I caught it from my husband, who spends all day outside in the cold.

:huh:

Yeah, I don't care either.

:laughing guy: Its true what you say but that part struck the funny bone....

I don't go out much in the winter and the cold I have now is the first one I've had in about three years, so I don't know about catching colds because you are inside more. And I caught it from my husband, who spends all day outside in the cold.

:huh:

It's probably like global warming. Unpredictable. ;)

If I said I was raped or someone tried to kill me, no one would notice and they would just continue going on with their thread. :sarcastic:

Tonight in Goatnut,TN it's freaking cold but me and my oldest son are outside next to our fire pit making smores. Not so bad

I wish I was there. Gotta love our Appalachian mountains, from Nova Scotia to Georgia!
  • Like 1

If I said I was raped or someone tried to kill me, no one would notice and they would just continue going on with their thread. :sarcastic:

We would probably wonder why you are posting such things in a thread about winter . . .

• Like 4

We would probably wonder why you are posting such things in a thread about winter . . .

Case closed. DPR wins this one outta court

• Like 1

Ice Visible on Lake Superior Weeks Ahead of Schedule

Nov 15, 2014, 6:03 PM ET

By DAN PECK

Share on email

212 Comments

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/HT_lake_superior_ice_jtm_141115_16x9_992.jpg

A thin layer of ice visible on Lake Superior in Ashland, Wisc., Nov. 15, 2014.@clkoval/Twitter

Cold temperatures and snow across the Great Lakes in November is certainly nothing out of the ordinary, but this morning, a layer of ice was visible on parts of Lake Superior in Ashland, Wis.

While this may not seem unusual given the current stretch of unseasonably cold temperatures, it is actually several weeks earlier than normal.

The first sightings of ice on Lake Superior and the Great Lakes overall usually occur during the beginning to middle of December. However, a perfect combination of last season's record ice coverage, cooler summer temperatures, and an early blast of arctic air this fall has allowed for areas of ice to form earlier than normal for the second year in a row.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/HT_noaa_average_ice_jtm_141115_4x3_992.jpg

GRERL/NOAA

PHOTO: Ice, on average, usually begins to form in shallow parts of the Great Lakes

Last winter featured relentless, record breaking cold leading to the second highest ice coverage on record for the Great Lakes as a whole.

Lake Superior also set a record for the longest length of time that ice was observed on the lake. In 2013, ice was first observed on Nov. 25, and it did not all melt until early June 2014.

http://a.abcnews.com/images/US/HT_noaa_lake_superior_ice_jtm_141115_4x3_992.jpg

GLERL/NOAA

PHOTO: Ice coverage on Lake Superior for the 2013-2014 season

The extent and longevity of the ice coverage were both equally impressive. It is also important to note that this year the ice is being observed about 10 days earlier that last year's record-breaking season. However, an early start to ice formation does not mean another record breaking ice coverage season is on the way. The overall winter pattern over the next few months will ultimately determine where this year's ice coverage will go.

After a summer that lacked much intense heat for the region and the early arrival of long lasting arctic air, it is not taking much kick off some ice forming on Lake Superior once again.

The overall weather pattern will continue to favor below normal temperatures across the Great Lakes region for at least the next seven to 10 days -- perfect conditions to help add to the ice in place that's already setting up a wintry scene.

Into the third week of November and still no snow in urban Manitoba. It has tried snowing many times, but nothing has stuck. Now the place just feels weird with freezing temps yet a completely dry landscape.

I hate winter.

I hate being cold.

I much prefer summer.

(But at least I ain't old) :)

Carry on.

:codger: Edited by Narpski

Tonight in Goatnut,TN it's freaking cold but me and my oldest son are outside next to our fire pit making smores. Not so bad

I wish I was there. Gotta love our Appalachian mountains, from Nova Scotia to Georgia!

Have you ever seen pictures of Goatnut?