The Rise of the Geeks; the reason Rush is now popular?

GeddyRulz

This is what made Rush "cool", technologically speaking...

It's seriously my favorite interview of theirs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRe1jO87Fdo

Heh, I used to work at TechTV. I don't remember them doing any interviews with musicians while I was there, unfortunately (I left before this was filmed). Nice to see them interview Rush.

What did you do?

Heh, I used to work at TechTV. I don't remember them doing any interviews with musicians while I was there, unfortunately (I left before this was filmed). Nice to see them interview Rush.

What did you do?

I worked in IT/Ops and did systems administration and ran the email and Lotus Notes servers.

• Like 1

What did you do?

I worked in IT/Ops and did systems administration and ran the email and Lotus Notes servers.

Cool. What I love about that interview is how Alex seems like he just woke up and doesn't want to be there and both of them seem like they're trying hard to keep a straight face and be polite with the interviewer's mostly nonsensical questions and comments. Some of their responses are priceless.

• Like 1

What did you do?

Well,

Aren't you special!! :LOL: :P

What did you do?

Cool. What I love about that interview is how Alex seems like he just woke up and doesn't want to be there and both of them seem like they're trying hard to keep a straight face and be polite with the interviewer's mostly nonsensical questions and comments. Some of their responses are priceless.

I thought Alex was going to fall asleep at first :LOL:

What did you do?

Well,

Aren't you special!! :LOL: :P

:P

I only appeared on the channel once, talking about some product or another.

• Like 1

I don't understand why they were ever considered geeks. There was nothing geeky about them in the seventies, and there is definitely nothing geeky about them today. We should all be such geeks.

I don't know…writing 20-minute long epics inspired by Lord of the Rings seems pretty geeky to me.

How different is that than what Pink Floyd did? Or Days of Future Passed? Or Tommy? Or :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: the one and only Quadrophenia? :wub:

The word didn't even exist in the seventies. At least it didn't where I was from. You were either cool or not. That's it.

Not in my case..... :)

What's that you say, Narps?

Well,

You can't be cool if you have never eatin' a corn dog. :P

:LOL: :cool:

I meant I was not "cool". I am now but wasn't then.... :LOL: BTW I with be passing by a Sonic later today and have another opportunity for that first corn dog. Will it happen? I will take a selfie if it does.....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2nWRoPKhnfk/T3CXZp35i-I/AAAAAAAAAPk/8YUDYxHZnfc/s1600/326-6.jpg

• Like 3

I don't understand why they were ever considered geeks. There was nothing geeky about them in the seventies, and there is definitely nothing geeky about them today. We should all be such geeks.

I don't know…writing 20-minute long epics inspired by Lord of the Rings seems pretty geeky to me.

How different is that than what Pink Floyd did? Or Days of Future Passed? Or Tommy? Or :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: the one and only Quadrophenia? :wub:

The word didn't even exist in the seventies. At least it didn't where I was from. You were either cool or not. That's it.

Well,

I meant I was not "cool". I am now but wasn't then.... :LOL: BTW I with be passing by a Sonic later today and have another opportunity for that first corn dog. Will it happen? I will take a selfie if it does.....

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-2nWRoPKhnfk/T3CXZp35i-I/AAAAAAAAAPk/8YUDYxHZnfc/s1600/326-6.jpg

:blink:

Well,

WTF? :laughing guy:

Now he will never try one. :LOL:

• Like 1

Rush was considered geeky because they made 20 minute songs based on the work of Ayn Rand, made shorter songs based on the work of Ayn Rand, based 12 minute songs on poems by Coleridge, used French in their lyrics, cited Shakespeare, cited Twain, cited a bunch of authors, were actually articulate and intelligent in interviews, didn't party (relatively) on the road, studied French on the road, took their music very seriously (to the point other bands made fun of them for not having any fun).

I never understood why people get their panties in a wad when someone mentions that Rush was geeky or nerdy. Of course they were. And they were pretty proud of it, too.

• Like 3

Rush was considered geeky because they made 20 minute songs based on the work of Ayn Rand, made shorter songs based on the work of Ayn Rand, based 12 minute songs on poems by Coleridge, used French in their lyrics, cited Shakespeare, cited Twain, cited a bunch of authors, were actually articulate and intelligent in interviews, didn't party (relatively) on the road, studied French on the road, took their music very seriously (to the point other bands made fun of them for not having any fun).

I never understood why people get their panties in a wad when someone mentions that Rush was geeky or nerdy. Of course they were. And they were pretty proud of it, too.

I don't care one way or the other.

The point of my post was only to say no one was described as a "geek" in the seventies because the word hadn't become popular to use. Nor did we use the word "nerd".

:)

Didn't they call one of the film segments "Revenge of the Nerds?"

Yes, exactly! From that chapter title forward, they were talking about Rush being “more popular than they ever were!” That’s when I put it together: a lot of other “geek” things have become popular in the past several years, too… we’re seeing a Geek Revolution, and Rush could be riding the wave.

The point about LONGEVITY being a factor is also valid. In that case, perhaps it was inevitable that people would come around to appreciate Rush: all they had to do was stick around long enough! But I think it's more of a Perfect Storm effect: longevity, yes, but also The Times - how at this point in history, Geek Culture is cool.

To those who don't believe they were ever geeky: are you kidding?? And to those who believe they were always cool: yes, but always an interesting mix of cool AND geeky! Like most of us, I imagine! I don't like the label "nerd," but I embrace being "geek" -- geek has SOME cool in it!

:goodone:

Edited by GeddyRulz

The point of my post was only to say no one was described as a "geek" in the seventies because the word hadn't become popular to use. Nor did we use the word "nerd".

I find that hard to believe seeing how pervasive both words were in the early 80s. Revenge of the Nerds came out in 1984, and I'd be surprised if the word only had mainstream use for a couple of years before being used as the title and concept of a movie.

• Like 1

I find that hard to believe seeing how pervasive both words were in the early 80s. Revenge of the Nerds came out in 1984, and I'd be surprised if the word only had mainstream use for a couple of years before being used as the title and concept of a movie.

Etymology

The first documented appearance of the word "nerd" is as the name of a creature in Dr. Seuss's book If I Ran the Zoo (1950), in which the narrator Gerald McGrew claims that he would collect "a Nerkle, a Nerd, and a Seersucker too" for his imaginary zoo.[3][5][6] The slang meaning of the term dates back to 1951, when Newsweek magazine reported on its popular use as a synonym for "drip" or "square" in Detroit, Michigan.[7] By the early 1960s, usage of the term had spread throughout the United States, and even as far as Scotland.[8][9] At some point, the word took on connotations of bookishness and social ineptitude.[5]

An alternate spelling, as nurd, also began to appear in the mid-1960s or early 1970s.[10] Author Philip K. Dick claimed to have coined this spelling in 1973, but its first recorded use appeared in a 1965 student publication at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute.[11][12] Oral tradition there holds that the word is derived from "knurd" ("drunk" spelled backwards), which was used to describe people who studied rather than partied. The term nurd was in use at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology as early as 1971.[13]

The Online Etymology Dictionary speculates that the word is an alteration of the 1940s term nert (meaning "stupid or crazy person"), which is itself an alteration of "nut".[14]

The term was popularized in the 1970s by its heavy use in the sitcom Happy Days.[15]

• Like 2

the early fans were the equivalent of todays metal fans. in general, long haired pot smoking dudes wearing black. man was it great!

the geeks started circa moving pictures/ exit stage left, gained momentum with signals and hit full stride in time to the cheese of the 80's keys........

• Like 1

Why does no one know anything?

http://www.vulture.com/2013/03/evolution-of-the-tv-nerd-screech-urkel-abed.html

1974: Potsie, Happy Days

http://pixel.nymag.com/imgs/daily/vulture/2013/03/12/12-nerd-potsie-happy-days.o.jpg/a_560x375.jpg

Happy Days is credited for first popularizing the word nerd, and it was usually directed at Potsie, even if by today's standards he doesn't seem like much of one. (If anything, the more awkward Ralph Malph feels nerdier in retrospect.) Potsie was fairly square, but other than the Fonz, so were all of Richie Cunningham's friends (and Richie); plus, he came off as a heartthrob when he'd sing with his band. He and Ralph were more goofy idiots, in the Rosencrantz and Guildenstern vein, than modern nerds. It says a lot about how far the nerd has come that at one time it just meant "Not the Fonz." By that standard, everyone's a nerd.

1978: "The Nerds," Saturday Night Live

Bill Murray and Gilda Radner's nerds (Todd DiLaMuca and Lisa Loopner) were the real deal. They had the look and the voice and, most important, the personality. Murray explained what was so special about them in the SNL oral history Live From New York: "No one ever saw nerds enjoy themselves, really get funny. You never saw what really tickled them." Their nerds weren't just cheap jokes — they had real heart. It paved the way for TV nerds we care about.

• Like 1

I knew a few proper punks back in the 70s who were well into rush the guys were quite big in the punk movement not sure if the word geek would generally apply to them but could be wrong. Wouldnt describe myself as a geek but certainly have a few geeky interests. I dont think you could class rush as a rock band for geeks per se the fans multi-varied in nature but yeah they obviously a band made for em.
  • Like 1

I get the impression that the interviewer thought "the new album" he reference there at the end contained new songs...I don't think it clicked with him that it was a collection of previously-released stuff.

Those of us who watched Happy Days in the 70s were well-versed in the use of "nerd". :)

• Like 2

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2013-12/enhanced/webdr02/10/13/anigif_enhanced-buzz-20234-1386699644-0.gif

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2013-12/enhanced/webdr06/10/11/enhanced-buzz-11893-1386693425-7.jpg

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/2013-12/enhanced/webdr03/10/10/enhanced-buzz-6142-1386689721-12.jpg

http://s3-ec.buzzfed.com/static/enhanced/webdr06/2013/6/27/15/enhanced-buzz-15694-1372360798-21.jpg

• Like 5