The Rise of the Geeks; the reason Rush is now popular?

GeddyRulz

I watched Rush: Beyond the Lighted Stage again yesterday (such a great movie!), and at the end, it finally occurred to me WHY Rush has gotten mainstream acceptance in the past few years and was finally inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. It’s the “Rise of the Geeks” factor. What’s geeky is now popular. Superhero and Sci-Fi movies are all the rage; relatively cool people are comfortable wearing superhero t-shirts like the Green Lantern and the Flash; young people flock to Comic Cons, whether they read comic books or not (and popular actors attend, too); the Big Bang Theory is the number one comedy on television. Simultaneous with all this, Rush gets put in Rolling Stone magazine, gets a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame, is invited to appear on the Colbert Report, becomes the subject of a full-length documentary, and gets inducted into the Hall of Fame. Geeky is now cool, and Rush have always been one of the most geeky bands around, ergo they’re now seen as somewhat “cool” by the masses, too.

I think they recognize this recent cultural shift, and they’re rolling with it. Look for a moment at Rush’s most recent studio album, Clockwork Angels. It’s a futuristic concept album, a geeky thing. Just a handful of years ago, Neil Peart was still saying Rush would never do such a thing ever again, and yet now they have. Why’d they change their minds and do it? Perhaps because they know geeky things, even things like Rush concept albums, are now accepted and even embraced in today’s cultural environment. Nick Raskulinecz recognizes it, too. Throughout the recording, he encouraged and pushed the band to be themselves and really go for it – do all the things Rush is known for doing and has been criticized for in the past. I think Nick knew the resulting album, from the minds and talents of geeks, would be popular. It stood to reason: if Rush music is geeky and geeky is now popular, Rush should be as Rush-like as possible, because that’s actually a recipe for success today, not failure.

• Like 1

I can see that as being a good reasoning in part for why Rush has been getting more mainstream popularity in the past few years.

However, the members of Rush have always pretty much stated that they go where the music takes them for the most part. If they like the sound and think it's "cool", they'll pass it on to the audience as well. :finbar:

The people who now have power and influence were the nerds and geeks of the 70's and 80's. Plus, someone made the observation that Rush had endured so long, it is hard to hate and reject anyone for that long, so even people who couldn't stand them in the 70's, 80's , or even 90's have softened to them and come to appreciate them for their longevity, if nothing else..
  • Like 2

I don't understand why they were ever considered geeks. There was nothing geeky about them in the seventies, and there is definitely nothing geeky about them today. We should all be such geeks.

I don't know…writing 20-minute long epics inspired by Lord of the Rings seems pretty geeky to me.

• Like 1

I don't understand why they were ever considered geeks. There was nothing geeky about them in the seventies, and there is definitely nothing geeky about them today. We should all be such geeks.

I don't know…writing 20-minute long epics inspired by Lord of the Rings seems pretty geeky to me.

How different is that than what Pink Floyd did? Or Days of Future Passed? Or Tommy? Or :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: the one and only Quadrophenia? :wub:

The word didn't even exist in the seventies. At least it didn't where I was from. You were either cool or not. That's it.

• Like 2

How different is that than what Pink Floyd did? Or Days of Future Passed? Or Tommy? Or :sigh: :sigh: :sigh: the one and only Quadrophenia? :wub:

The word didn't even exist in the seventies. At least it didn't where I was from. You were either cool or not. That's it.

Not in my case..... :)
  • Like 1

Exactly,

And BTW, I don't give a rat's a*** if they are liked or not!! :LOL: :7up: :rush: :haz:

• Like 2

What's that you say, Narps?

Well,

You can't be cool if you have never eatin' a corn dog. :P

• Like 3

Well,

:LOL: :cool:

• Like 1

Well,

I meant I was not "cool". I am now but wasn't then.... :LOL: BTW I with be passing by a Sonic later today and have another opportunity for that first corn dog. Will it happen? I will take a selfie if it does.....
  • Like 2

Well,

I meant I was not "cool". I am now but wasn't then.... :LOL: BTW I with be passing by a Sonic later today and have another opportunity for that first corn dog. Will it happen? I will take a selfie if it does.....

Like Sheldon would say: Pics or it didn't happen!!!

• Like 3

Well,

I say he doesn't. :LOL:

BTW Narp, If you some how get the courage to try one. Don't forget the MUSTARD!! :D

The OP brings up some good points. The nerd culture has definitely moved more in to the mainstream over the last several years. It's something that has probably helped Rush's fan base expand but I don't think that's the only factor. The bands longevity I believe has a lot more to do with why they're still popular now. When a band has been around for as long as Rush has, the fan base spans generations and that helps a lot to keep their following going and remain very strong.
  • Like 1

Well,

BTW Narp, If you some how get the courage to try one. Don't forget the MUSTARD!! :D

And have some Tums or Rolaids handy.

• Like 1

Well,

I say he won't,

BTW Narp, if you do find the courage to try one. Don't forget the MUSTARD!!! :D

My posts are delayed or some thing? :LOL: Probably this crappy computer!!

Edited by troutman

Well,

I tend to have acid reflux issues to begin with and use Tums frequently. I just checked and have 2 left.... :)
  • Like 1

Well,

He can handle it,

I think? :unsure:

:P

• Like 1

Well,

They do need mustard!

• Like 1

This is what made Rush "cool", technologically speaking...

It's seriously my favorite interview of theirs:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRe1jO87Fdo

Heh, I used to work at TechTV. I don't remember them doing any interviews with musicians while I was there, unfortunately (I left before this was filmed). Nice to see them interview Rush.