Favorite closing track?

The Analog Cub

73 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite closing track?

• Working Man
    • In The End
    • Fountain of Lamneth
    • Something For Nothing
    • Cygnus X-1
    • La Villa Strangiato
    • Natural Science
    • Vital Signs
    • Countdown
    • Between The Wheels
    • Mystic Rhythms
    • High Water
    • Available Light
    • You Bet Your Life
    • Everyday Glory
    • Carve Away The Stone
    • Out Of The Cradle
    • We Hold On
    • The Garden

Voted Natural Science. A great multi-part end to an equally great album.

Honorable mentions are We Hold On for the same reason, The Garden for nearly being career-defining, and Cygnus X1 for being a pretty good cliffhanger.

Honorable mentions are We Hold On for the same reason, The Garden for nearly being career-defining, and Cygnus X1 for being a pretty good cliffhanger.

If The Garden is almost career defining, then Rush has had a pretty boring career..haha

If The Garden is almost career defining, then Rush has had a pretty boring career..haha

:syrinx:

It's not great, but for an album that could be their last, it has a good tone. They're probably not gonna go out with a 30 minute prog-rock epic as much as many would like that.

:syrinx:

It's not great, but for an album that could be their last, it has a good tone. They're probably not gonna go out with a 30 minute prog-rock epic as much as many would like that.

I mean, I love The Garden, it's a great song. I was just giving you shit haha

This forums use of the term "ninny" to describe those who love this song is patronising and lame.

This forum's use of the term "ninny" to describe those who love The Garden is a way of reclaiming that word from others (*cough*Sheldon*cough*) who originally used it in a disparaging way.

• Like 4

This forums use of the term "ninny" to describe those who love this song is patronising and lame.

This forum's use of the term "ninny" to describe those who love The Garden is a way of reclaiming that word from others (*cough*Sheldon*cough*) who originally used it in a disparaging way.

Also sarcasm.

We are proud ninnies. A badge of honor..... :madra:
  • Like 3

In my opinion, they had a run of near-perfect album closers from their debut through Moving Pictures (I voted for Vital Signs), but from Signals on, it became much more hit-or-miss, with some of them being great, and some being pretty bad.

I love Between the Wheels, Mystic Rhythms, Everyday Glory, and The Garden, but man...High Water, You Bet Your Life, Out of the Cradle, and We Hold On are all pretty lame IMO.

That we are! :)

Me too!

:rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: :rose: <- The Garden!

• Like 2

OK...I eliminated the epics, because that's just not fair. La Villa, NatiSci, Lamneth...they are much more than just closing songs. That being done...

I ended up choosing Mystic Rhythms. It closes that collection of songs perfectly.

• Like 2

My top 3 are so close they're like 1a, 1b, and 1c and I'm not sure which is which :wacko:

Between The Wheels

Natural Science

Something For Nothing

Since if I don't decide I'll still have made a choice :P , I may as well decide on...

Something For Nothing :haz:

P.S.: 6 votes for The Garden :wtf: This forum must be suffering form a mass insomnia outbreak :zzz:

Edited by Pause Rewind Replay
  • Like 2

Oh, and for the openers vs. closers question (interesting idea!) :

Winners in bold:

Rush: FMW /Working Man

FBN: Anthem/In The End (complete and utter destruction)

CoS: Bastille Day/TFOL (If you only have one classic song on an album, make it the opener)

2112: 2112/SFN (I just voted SFN as my favorite closer, but against 2112... nope)

AFTK: AFTK/Cygnus X-1

Hemi: Hemi/LVS

PeW: TSOR/NatSci (have me choose which kidney to keep why don't you..)

MP: TS/Vital Signs (despite my handle, TS is just too musically awesome)

Signals: Subdivisions/Countdown

P/G: DEW/BTW (ouch, ouch, ouch, ouch...)

PoW: Big Money/Mystic Rhythms

HYF: Force Ten/High Water

Presto: SDT/Available Light (fantastic bookends, SDT by a millimeter)

RTB: Dreamline/YBYL ( I like You Bet Your Life... but not against Dreamline)

Cp: Animate/Everyday Glory

T4E: T4E/Carve Away The Stone (another wipeout)

VT: OLV/Out of The Cradle (on either version, OLV kicks ass)

S&A: Far Cry/We Hold On (So far they've played Faithless and Spindrift on tour and ignored We Hold On :wtf: )

CA: Caravan/The Garden (aww... your pretty little garden just got run the f@ck over by a steamliner :bang bang: )

The final score: 13 openers and 6 closers.

I'm gonna do the openers vs. closers (winners in bold):

Rush: FMW/Working Man

FBN: Anthem/In the End

CoS: Bastille Day/FoL

2112: 2112/SFN

AFTK: AFTK/Cygnus X-1

Hemi: Hemi/LVS

PeW: TSOR/NatSci

MP:TS/VS

Sig: Subdivisions/Countdown

GUP: DEW/Between the Wheels

PoW: Big Money/Mystic Rhythms

HYF: Force Ten/High Water

Presto: Show Don't Tell/Available Light

RTB: Dreamline/YBYL

CP: Animate/Everyday Glory(hole)

T4E: T4E/CATS

VT: OLV/OoTC

S and A: Far Cry/We Hold On

CA: Caravan/The Garden

Final Score: 10 openers and 9 closers

Let's try again:

Finding My Way = Working Man

Anthem > In The End

Bastille Day = The Fountain Of Lamneth

2112 ≥ Something For Nothing

AFTK < Cygnus X-1

Hemispheres > La Villa

TSOR < Natural Science

TS ≥ Vital Signs

Subdivisions > Countdown

Distant Early Warning ≤ Between The Wheels

The Big Money ≥ Mystic Rhythms

Force Ten >> High Water

Show Don't Tell < Available Light

Dreamline >> You Bet Your Life

Animate >> Everyday Glory

Test For Echo >> Carve Away The Stone

One Little Victory > Out Of The Cradle

Far Cry > We Hold On

Caravan = The Garden

12 openers better, with 3 close and 4 far. 4 closers better, with 1 close. 3 too close to call.

Yeah! :madra:

• Like 2

OK...I eliminated the epics, because that's just not fair. La Villa, NatiSci, Lamneth...they are much more than just closing songs. That being done...

I ended up choosing Mystic Rhythms. It closes that collection of songs perfectly.

I love Mystic Rhythms. My problem with it is it just doesn't feel like a closer. I feel like Marathon would have been a better closer.