Would Geddy Lee be as cool and loved if he was more like...

KennyLee

"Gene has actually asked poor people to thank him for being so rich that he creates jobs for people"

Not defending him as I really know nothing about him outside of his stage persona except that he dated Cher for awhile and had (has?) a tv show (which I never watched). That said, the quote above looks like something one would say tongue-in-cheek (no pun intended concerning Gene) to someone who sort of puritanically accuses you of being rich while other's suffer; you say something like that just to piss them off or get under their skin, not because you really think that. I always get into trouble with an uptight Leftist acquaintance of mine because he can't hear anything without thinking that it expresses someone's deepest-held convictions. It's nearly impossible to joke around with the guy.

To be fair, Gene Simmons isn't known for being very serious about anything. And he does have a sick sense of humor, which is something I admire in anyone. Unfortunately, some rock stars become so drug-damaged and psychotic that their narcissism becomes a public hazard whenever they're in town. So far, the worst I've seen with Simmons is that he's arrogant and sleeps around a lot. Big anomaly there.

Who would want him anymore (not that he was someone who ever appealed to me enough to even think that way about him)? I doubt if he is anything to write home about these days in the sack.

Never trust a man who won't take off his sunglasses. :cool:

Well, that proves that sort of thing doesn't last forever for anybody. Glad our favorite band took the route of just being good at playing music. :LOL:

Never trust a man who won't take off his sunglasses. :cool:

Geddy just sort of peers over the top of his - a sure sign he wants to take things seriously. An endearing trait. He's a straight shooter.

• Like 3

I would definitely think less of him. I'm happy that he's not a squeaky-clean church (temple) boy, but I'm also quite happy that pretty much the worst thing he can be accused of is smoking pot and the occasional swear word.

Well, he does have one major flaw.... his favorite team uses the designated hitter. *BLASPHEMY*. They play on grass, outdoors, and with 9 in Heaven... not 10.

However, Geddy is absolved of his baseball sin because he gave that incredible gift of signed baseballs to the Negro League Museum in Kansas City, which gets back to the point of people loving Geddy (and the band) because they are decent people. That is most definitely a continued draw to the band for me.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 2

I certainly think the good nature and generally positive vibe Geddy puts in the universe is an endearing factor for diehard fans.

That said, I think it is a bit odd to compare Gene Simmons to Geddy Lee. Gene Simmons is a businessman who plays a bass (moderately well) and occasionally writes lyrics (again, not all that well - there are only so many cheesy metaphors for sex and partying, you know?) as a means to support his business venture. Kiss is an entertainment corporation. They are not artists. Geddy, on the other hand, is a musician, an artist, who has some business savvy. There is a big difference.

The irony, of course, is the connection between the two bands. And, as much as I really don't like Kiss (okay, I like Hard Luck Woman, but that's about it), I always give them credit for being the pioneers of the big, bedazzling rock show and for what they did to help launch my favorite band. Like it or not, we have Gene Simmons to thank for the opportunity to appreciate Geddy. :)

• Like 2

Isn't Gene Simmons a nice Jewish boy from NY? Seems like a decent enough guy to me, but then I haven't followed them since Destroyer (actually I bought Rock n Roll Over; it did for KISS what Power Windows did for Rush at the time; I moved on). I think he and Geddy are buds, too.

I think Geddy and him are friends but Gene is nothing like Geddy.

Gene has actually asked poor people to thank him for being so rich that he creates jobs for people. He peddles all his Kiss crap and bleeds his fans. He also thinks he's way more talented than he is. He treats music like just a paycheck. Nothing artistic at all in it for him. Just a jerk in my opinion.

Saw this after I posted my little analysis of Gene. So, yeah, digital high five...

One other thought on Gene and Kiss (and it's social/political). When I was young and stupid (redundant, I know), I didn't have too many issues with Kiss. On one hand, I knew very little about good music, let alone musicianship - so I didn't realize how mediocre Kiss really was/is. On the other hand, I was a stupid, hormone ravaged boy who didn't get the awful context of misogyny in Kiss (not that they were alone in that) and actually thought some of that over-the-top sexual tone and objectification was okay. But then I both grew up and became a father to a daughter. I would let Geddy watch my kids. If Gene Simmons ever came anywhere near my daughter, I would be on the news...

• Like 3

Gene is a goof!!!! This has to be the dumbest question ever asked!!!!! Dummy up :rage:

He's Gene Simmons...FROM KISS. He thinks that monogamy and polygamous relationships are just big words like gymnasium.

• Like 1

I would definitely think less of him. I'm happy that he's not a squeaky-clean church (temple) boy, but I'm also quite happy that pretty much the worst thing he can be accused of is smoking pot and the occasional swear word.

Well, he does have one major flaw.... his favorite team uses the designated hitter. *BLASPHEMY*. They play on grass, outdoors, and with 9 in Heaven... not 10.

However, Geddy is absolved of his baseball sin because he gave that incredible gift of signed baseballs to the Negro League Museum in Kansas City, which gets back to the point of people loving Geddy (and the band) because they are decent people. That is most definitely a continued draw to the band for me.

My favorite thing about Geddy, outside of his involvement with Rush, is his devotion to baseball. I've always thought that three promising signs in anyone is a like of baseball, dogs, and good beer.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone, Rush is such a great band because of who they are. I think the fact that they are Canadian does shape their behavior because all the folks I know who hail from there are salt of the earth, give the shirt off their backs kind of people. It may be a cliche but I found it to be true. Geddy, Alex and Neil respect each other and it shows. Here's a recent sample of the classless behavior of Simmons http://m.sltrib.com/sltrib/mobile3/58183544-219/simmons-kiss-band-stanley.html.csp
  • Like 2

I agree with everyone, Rush is such a great band because of who they are. I think the fact that they are Canadian does shape their behavior because all the folks I know who hail from there are salt of the earth, give the shirt off their backs kind of people. It may be a cliche but I found it to be true. Geddy, Alex and Neil respect each other and it shows. Here's a recent sample of the classless behavior of Simmons http://m.sltrib.com/...tanley.html.csp

Damn straight, that,s who we are, salt of the earth, nothing in the universe better than being a Canadian!!!!, oh wait, yes there is-----RUSH :rush:
  • Like 1

While I agree it's been awesome to have learned what great guys RUSH are over the years, I have to say that unless they had turned to be absolute cretins, they would still be my favorite band. I fell in love with their music right off the bat. I still vividly remember to the first time I listened to Permanent Waves from start to finish and thinking "Wow! This is the best album I've ever heard in my life!" Caress of Steel was my second RUSH album, and that just sealed the deal. Spending the next 6 months or so buying and experiencing all of the rest of their albums was pure music heaven. I felt pretty much from the get go that their music was simply the perfect music for me. For so many years I was absolutely baffled as to why the whole world didn't agree with me. So anyway, getting back to the question, I would have to say that even if Geddy was just like Gene Simmons or in some other way not the great guy he seems to be, I would still be grateful to him (and Alex and Neil) for producing the great music I have gotten so much enjoyment out of listening to for all of these years.

Oh and by the way KennyLee, I can't wait to see Krush tomorrow night at Hilltop! It's going to be a fun night!

• Like 1

The cool thing about back in the day was I barely even knew they were Canadian. The thought of them or any of the bands I loved being good, bad people, their religious affiliations etc. never crossed my mind. It was all about the music for me. It just worked out that I loved Rush and couldn't stand Kiss either way....... :)

I was about to say the same thing. Years ago we didn't know anything about the band. But you could tell when you did see interviews with them that they were good guys. And you could tell by the kind of lyrics that Neil wrote that he was a really smart guy. I really didn't know I heck of a lot about them until probably the last 10 years or so. But I have to say that the fact that they're the kind of guys that they are has kept me a fan even more.

• Like 3

"Gene has actually asked poor people to thank him for being so rich that he creates jobs for people"

Not defending him as I really know nothing about him outside of his stage persona except that he dated Cher for awhile and had (has?) a tv show (which I never watched). That said, the quote above looks like something one would say tongue-in-cheek (no pun intended concerning Gene) to someone who sort of puritanically accuses you of being rich while other's suffer; you say something like that just to piss them off or get under their skin, not because you really think that. I always get into trouble with an uptight Leftist acquaintance of mine because he can't hear anything without thinking that it expresses someone's deepest-held convictions. It's nearly impossible to joke around with the guy.

To be fair, Gene Simmons isn't known for being very serious about anything. And he does have a sick sense of humor, which is something I admire in anyone. Unfortunately, some rock stars become so drug-damaged and psychotic that their narcissism becomes a public hazard whenever they're in town. So far, the worst I've seen with Simmons is that he's arrogant and sleeps around a lot. Big anomaly there.

The "telling poor people to thank him" part was very paraphrased. It was from an entire interview where Gene said everyone should thank him and all of the top 1% for creating jobs. So much as to say "has a poor person every given me a job or created a job?". He spoke for about 10 minutes on it. It wasn't a passing comment or a joke.

Sorry, Gene was just an example of a character below Geddy. The overall heart of the question was more if Geddy was not the exemplary human being he is, would you love him as much or how would it affect your feelings toward Rush.

I think most everyone understood the meaning of the question.

• Like 1

I don't think it's necessary to pit Geddy against Gene Simmons to understand that Geddy is a classy guy, and that being a classy guy contributes to being respected and beloved by your fans.

I don't think it's necessary to pit Geddy against Gene Simmons to understand that Geddy is a classy guy, and that being a classy guy contributes to being respected and beloved by your fans.

Wasn't pitting, just comparing the two. A "what if" scenario.

• Like 1

No he literally said that and was being 100% serious. Gene is not so much as a musician like he once was. Today's Gene Simmons is a Buisness Man first, and an artist second.

Today's Gene Simmons is a Buisness Man first, and an artist second.

Not even much of an artist. Much like a basketball player (to me anyway) he would rather look good doing it than getting it done.

His playing was mediocre. Too much about the glam and the production of the show.The music was secondary at best.

• Like 3

Today's Gene Simmons is a Buisness Man first, and an artist second.

Not even much of an artist. Much like a basketball player (to me anyway) he would rather look good doing it than getting it done.

His playing was mediocre. Too much about the glam and the production of the show.The music was secondary at best.

I agree! He's not the same man he used to be!

• Like 1

FWIW,

I'm not really a Kiss fan, and I was not aware of Gene Simmons' aforementioned comments. But I will take just a moment to defend him at least a little. I was trying to remember where I had seen and become impressed by him, and it finally came to me. I saw him a while back on Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader, where he won $500,000 for a charity. I can't personally remember the charity he played for, but according to wikipedia it was The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation. I remember him coming across as quite intelligent, and that he seemed to genuinely want to do well for the charity. I honestly don't know all that much about Kiss or any of the members, or Gene Simmons' true character, but I feel compelled to at least give him some credit for what I actually saw with my own two eyes a few years ago.

• Like 1

FWIW,

I'm not really a Kiss fan, and I was not aware of Gene Simmons' aforementioned comments. But I will take just a moment to defend him at least a little. I was trying to remember where I had seen and become impressed by him, and it finally came to me. I saw him a while back on Are You Smarter than a 5th Grader, where he won $500,000 for a charity. I can't personally remember the charity he played for, but according to wikipedia it was The Elizabeth Glaser Pediatric AIDS Foundation. I remember him coming across as quite intelligent, and that he seemed to genuinely want to do well for the charity. I honestly don't know all that much about Kiss or any of the members, or Gene Simmons' true character, but I feel compelled to at least give him some credit for what I actually saw with my own two eyes a few years ago.

So, was he smarter than a 5th grader? :outtahere:

I never knew any personal details of his life. Actually, I was wondering how old he is, so I looked him up. Now I understand why he took Geddy under his wing. He was born in Israel and his mother was a Holocaust survivor as well. It said he came to the USA when he was eight years old and didn't know one word of English.

It said he came to the USA when he was eight years old and didn't know one word of English.

Plus ca change...

Although I think he does know the English word for money...

• Like 2

This was really not a "bash Gene" thread. I just used him as an example. More the idea was, "Would you be less of a Rush fan if they were not the great people they are?".

You know, if they were always in the news for being in trouble with the law, abandoned their kids, were on their 7th marriage, trashed hotel rooms, spit on homeless people, whatever... would their music be as special to you?