Narp, how goes the delve into the later career?

The Analog Cub

I'll take any Rush, pretty much, and I'll keep hoping for more. They always write in good faith, I believe, with maybe the exception of Roll the Bones (song) which they must have known would annoy some fans but they did it anyway. Even Tai Shan probably came from some earnest place in their musical souls. I'm not quite sure if I believe them about not trying to write pop songs. The Speed of Love, fabulous song though it is, seems like it has taken from the pop songwriter's handbook, but again, I think written in good conscience ("it's where they were at the time" and all that). Clockwork Angels, with its return to heaviness and progginess and narrative impulse, may very well be a response to the enthusiasm of their fan-producer, Nick Rascalsinus ('k, I'm not even going to try to spell), and if that's true, I think we have a lot to thank him for.

At any rate, here's to many more years of Rush, more Rush albums, Rush box sets of rare and unreleased tracks, "vault" editions, and bootlegs.

:cheers:

:cheers:

Here's a Rush recording question.

Why is Geddy's bass always front and center and Alex off to the side? Is there a technical reason for this?

That's interesting, I never noticed that. Usually there is only one bass track (or maybe multiple 'tracks' of the same performance mixed together) so it kind of makes sense to place it in the middle. On the other hand, guitars are usually layered to give them some thickness, or because they want acoustic and electric (like on 2112) - so it makes sense to pan those left and right. This is what I do when I record my own music - I'll play the same part twice, and place the tracks left and right. I just think it sounds more interesting. So . . . probably I should have just said, "I don't know!"

• Like 1

I'd have to listen to everything to say with certainty, but it seems like every song, with headphones, the bass is always center.

I think this is done to everyone's advantage, not because of an ego problem that a lot of bands have.

Keep the guitar pushed throughout the mix as it is easily heard, whereas the bass isn't. Since the bass is pushed to the front of the mix, we can all hear Geddy's distinct bass tone and his virtuosic parts while still being able to hear Alex just fine.

• Like 2

I came here to complain about S&A. I couldn't even get to the end of The Larger Bowl, and now that Spindrift is on. If you want two songs infinitely worse than The Speed of Love, you've got them.

It is true that Alex saves Spindrift and makes it listen-friendly without having to resort to a bottle of Rolaids at the end of it.

The Larger Bowl is about 20 times better than Speed of Love. It's also better than all but 3 songs on CP.

• Like 1

The Larger Bowl is about 20 times better than Speed of Love.

This is correct.

The Speed of Love is also about 20 times better than The Larger Bowl.

http://www.mhhe.com/math/devmath/dugopolski/elem/instructor/ppt/ppt01/img016.jpg

• Like 6

I'd have to listen to everything to say with certainty, but it seems like every song, with headphones, the bass is always center.

I think this is done to everyone's advantage, not because of an ego problem that a lot of bands have.

Keep the guitar pushed throughout the mix as it is easily heard, whereas the bass isn't. Since the bass is pushed to the front of the mix, we can all hear Geddy's distinct bass tone and his virtuosic parts while still being able to hear Alex just fine.

:goodone:

Yep,

That's one of the first things I noticed about the band back in the day. It's the perfect balance. JMO. :D

Well, if Rush calls me up and asks for my unprofessional and insignificant opinion on their next producer, I am going to suggest that they ditch Nick Raskulinecz and ring up Terry. Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

Well, if Rush calls me up and asks for my unprofessional and insignificant opinion on their next producer, I am going to suggest that they ditch Nick Raskulinecz and ring up Terry.

Don't see that happening since they parted ways. But I could be wrong. :unsure: :P

So between those albums there are about 35-40 songs that you like (and possibly more that will grow on you). Not bad huh?

That's a pretty good estimate. I would say Presto had the most and Roll The Bones has the least. The lousy sound and production post Test For Echo really ruins the last few for me. Vapor Trails I just can't get past it at all (or hear the good songs through it). S&A and CA I can hear through it at least. I already knew CA was mostly good anyway as I have listened to it many times. If the production was better I could rate it much higher all-time. I need to listen to them again to really get a gauge on what I like for sure and what I don't. With music, first impressions are not always lasting ones.....

So between those albums there are about 35-40 songs that you like (and possibly more that will grow on you). Not bad huh?

That's a pretty good estimate. I would say Presto had the most and Roll The Bones has the least. The lousy sound and production post Test For Echo really ruins the last few for me. Vapor Trails I just can't get past it at all (or hear the good songs through it). S&A and CA I can hear through it at least. I already knew CA was mostly good anyway as I have listened to it many times. If the production was better I could rate it much higher all-time. I need to listen to them again to really get a gauge on what I like for sure and what I don't. With music, first impressions are not always lasting ones.....

Glad to hear Presto may be on its way to the bottom. :)

You are pistol for sure....... :D
  • Like 1

:smoke: :smoke: :smoke: :LOL:

• Like 1

The Larger Bowl is about 20 times better than Speed of Love.

This is correct.

The Speed of Love is also about 20 times better than The Larger Bowl.

http://www.mhhe.com/math/devmath/dugopolski/elem/instructor/ppt/ppt01/img016.jpg

:ebert:
  • Like 1