Best Geddy Vocal- Tell Us Which Song You Think Is Best!

Segue Myles

Today's Geddy (1994-Present): Nobody's Hero, Everyday Glory, Earthshine, The Larger Bowl, Headlong Flight, The Garden

Why do you start "Today's Geddy" at 1994?

When I listen to bootlegs from RTB-CP I started noticing another change in Geddy's voice around Roll The Bones and Counterparts, though not as drastic a change he went through after Hemispheres. I love Hemispheres but man, that tour killed what was left of 70's Geddy's voice. Since 1991-1994ish his voice and singing style has sounded the same to me apart from the age factor. Subtle this time, but it's there.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

My favorites by era...

Sector 1 - Here Again, In The End, Bastille Day, 2112

Sector 2 - Xanadu, Hemispheres, Natural Science, Red Barchetta

Sector 3 - The Analog Kid, Red Sector A, Marathon, Prime Mover

Present - Available Light, Ghost of Chance, Everyday Glory, Resist, Vapor Trail, The Way The Wind Blows, Clockwork Angels

Hemispheres. I know it killed him vocally but I am and will forever be grateful that he did. So much emotion on that song.

Big fan of his vocal on Bravado also.

• Like 1

For me it's between Cygnus X-1 Book II, Witch Hunt (from P/G Live), and Xanadu. They are all such beautiful and emotional vocal performances. I also love The Speed of Love, Available Light, Mystic Rhythms, Time Stand Still, 2112, Resist (R in R) and Natural Science

You have excellent musical taste!

• Like 1

Today's Geddy (1994-Present): Nobody's Hero, Everyday Glory, Earthshine, The Larger Bowl, Headlong Flight, The Garden

Why do you start "Today's Geddy" at 1994?

When I listen to bootlegs from RTB-CP I started noticing another change in Geddy's voice around Roll The Bones and Counterparts, though not as drastic a change he went through after Hemispheres. I love Hemispheres but man, that tour killed what was left of 70's Geddy's voice. Since 1991-1994ish his voice and singing style has sounded the same to me apart from the age factor. Subtle this time, but it's there.

I think it was Kenny that wrote something here a couple of weeks ago that really hit me hard. He said that Geddy burned his voice out for the fans. And he did.

• Like 1

For me it's between Cygnus X-1 Book II, Witch Hunt (from P/G Live), and Xanadu. They are all such beautiful and emotional vocal performances. I also love The Speed of Love, Available Light, Mystic Rhythms, Time Stand Still, 2112, Resist (R in R) and Natural Science

He really, truly, absolutely, stunningly, undeniably, indisputably has a fantastic, awe-inspiring taste! That selection is delicious!

• Like 2

He really, truly, absolutely, stunningly, undeniably, indisputably has a fantastic, awe-inspiring taste! That selection is delicious!

It would be interesting to find out why we have similar taste in music. It must be something. Maybe a musician would know what the songs have in common.

His vocal performance on Witch Hunt from the Grace Under Pressure Tour, as mentioned above, was spectacular.

His performance on the Snakes and Arrows Live version is also worth of note ;)

His vocal performance on Witch Hunt from the Grace Under Pressure Tour, as mentioned above, was spectacular.

His studio performance was stellar.. you're telling me the GUP tour version is even better?

His studio performance was stellar.. you're telling me the GUP tour version is even better?

Segue, I thought the studio version had good vocals too. Now I can't even listen to it anymore, it pales in comparison to the GUP version. I've never heard such emotion before in Geddy's vocals, truly transcendent. Check it out ASAP
  • Like 2

It would be interesting to find out why we have similar taste in music. It must be something. Maybe a musician would know what the songs have in common.

Who knows? Maybe its because we are not both expert musicians, so we enjoy a lot of music at the same level of understanding?

Plus all the songs I love, you love and the simple fact is that it is because those songs rule!

• Like 1

The more I consider this the more I think that all of 2112 (both sides) was Geddy at his peak vocally. His entire range was displayed there if you listen all the way through.....
  • Like 2

Segue, I thought the studio version had good vocals too. Now I can't even listen to it anymore, it pales in comparison to the GUP version. I've never heard such emotion before in Geddy's vocals, truly transcendent. Check it out ASAP

I second that.

You simply must get the DVD, Segue. You won't be sorry!

I second that.

Youtube won't play it in my tablet...to lazy to fetch computer...aww man more Rush! Yaaaaay!

Ok downloaded Witch Hunt from the tour...audio only...

The more I consider this the more I think that all of 2112 (both sides) was Geddy at his peak vocally. His entire range was displayed there if you listen all the way through.....

I think he was faultless as well...

I second that.

Oh wow...I could cry this just improved my opinion on a song I already considered one of the best ever written...I am blown away...that bit where he yells is...spellbinding...

• Like 3

I second that.

Oh wow...I could cry this just improved my opinion on a song I already considered one of the best ever written...I am blown away...that bit where he yells is...spellbinding...

Nix the audio. You have to watch the man do it. Can you get a reasonably priced one on Amazon? Geddy was at his peak. I suspect also that since this concert was filmed in Canada, that someone close to him was there that night sitting up front and more toward Alex. Geddy has a to-die for smile when he recognizes someone he has affection for, and you can see his face light up when he looks that way and recognizes whoever it was.

P.S. No, it wasn't me. I was biz that night. :LMAO:

Edited by Lorraine