Superconductor video

YYZumbi

Wow. I never even knew that a video to that song existed. After watching about 90 seconds, I wish I STILL didn't know. Pretty cheesy. I always thought the song was o.k. I'm in the "I really love the album Presto" group.

Clem

Presto is close to a classic! I have a few teensy issues but on the whole I think it is chock a block full of classuc tunes!

Unlike my favourite Rush albums, of which there are more than a handful, there is a track I don't really like. I don't skip it, but I cooe with it: Superconductor.

But its better than every song on VT and half the tracks on SA. IMO.

This song makes Tai Shan sound like essential Rush. Awful.

Nothing will make Tai Shan sound like essential Rush. Tai Shan is one of those personal spiritual experiences that should have remained deeply personal. If China sings to you, frickin' keep it to yourself, maybe.

Sorry, I think that's as pissy as I'm likely to get. It's getting late and I still haven't finished grading these @#$%&*! papers. Maybe I should get off the forum. Does this thing suck hours away from everybody else's life?

Well, I love the song and video, they are over saturated and done up for a reason, clearly this song was done with the lyrics in mind. If they were trying to do this song and video with straight lyrics on another topic it would be terrible, but they fit together perfectly

Just to make something clear here, I both love the song Superconductor and the video, the only thing that I found annoying was that Geddy and Alex was on wrong sides on the stage.

And Toymaker, Tai Shan, thats my favorite song from Hold Your Fire, its beatiful.

I love Superconductor, its a great song! Live anyway.

Ick! It was painful enough live on the Presto tour.. but on RTB when they abbreviated Xanadu and then broke into Stupidconductor it really solidified my hatred of the song.

I mean... c'mon... shorten XANADU to fit in that steaming pile of cow dung of a song?????

That would piss me off as well! :madra: :P

Edited by troutman

and the cherry on top is the awful video complete with Ged and Al on the wrong sides of the stage...

It was obviously done intentionally. The theme of the video is being manipulated and controlled like puppets. Come on. Geddy or Alex would've noticed that they were on the wrong sides of the stage. It was intentional. They being on the opposite sides of the stage signifies that they are not the real Alex and Geddy. They are just brainwashed pawns being controlled by their "master". It also means that it is not really their song or their video. It's a Rush in an alternate universe. So the Rush we know didn't record that song or video. The entire video is a subliminal acknowledgement that recording the song itself was a huge mistake and the horrible cheesiness of the video was all intentional to convey that to their fans. Seriously, this video might be the most brilliant thing they've ever done....so many layers.

• Like 7

Not their greatest song, but the video is kind of silly and is when they were learning to let their sense of humor come through in their videos (like Time Stand Still).

Regardless, Geddy still looks awesome. And, it is a better song than Scars.

• Like 1

Geddy still looks awesome.

:eh:

He can't help it if he's beautiful. :)

• Like 2

And, it is a better song than Scars.

The very definition of "damning with faint praise."

• Like 4

Not their greatest song, but the video is kind of silly and is when they were learning to let their sense of humor come through in their videos.

What's really hard for me to stomach is the uninspired nature of the material, meaning the music itself. I can't think of Neil playing a song where it doesn't "sound" like him—except this one.

There are a few good songs on this album though. Presto, Available Light, The Pass, and Show Don't Tell. I remember when it came out. That was a sad day. I actually went to a record shop/store outside of Ft. Knox. The owner literally gave me a copy and said "just take it. I can't possibly take money for this piece of crap. These guys are lost."

True story

and the cherry on top is the awful video complete with Ged and Al on the wrong sides of the stage...

Seriously, this video might be the most brilliant thing they've ever done....so many layers.

Turn in your Rush card.

Seriously, this video might be the most brilliant thing they've ever done....so many layers.

Turn in your Rush card.

I think it's ironic, too. I think it's sort of bad-on-purpose. The way the audience is rawkin' out in a cheesy sort of way. Anyway, this video isn't as bad as Afterimage, which is one of the hidden videos on Chronicles.

Turn in your Rush card.

Anyway, this video isn't as bad as Afterimage

Afterimage is not a bad video at all. How do you figure? I'm genuinely moved by it

• Like 1

Just so I'm not misremembering: is afterimage the video that starts with mostly extreme closeups on Geddy's face, and then at some point shows some pouting kid staring at an overturned tricycle? Something like that?

I think maybe it could have been a good video, but they spent most of their video budget on the other videos!

Edited by toymaker

Just so I'm not misremembering: is afterimage the video that starts with mostly extreme closeups on Geddy's face, and then at some point shows some pouting kid staring at an overturned tricycle? Something like that?

Yeah that's it. Personally I just wanna see them play. I see the genuine emotion in their faces, dedicating this song to a departed friend.