Why was Signals "the end" for some of you?

Lorraine

Pardon me! The FRONT Row Club. Mea culpa. Now they'll never sell me a front row ticket since I can't even get the name of their secret club correct.

Woe is me. Forever doomed to the back of the concert hall with Narpski and sundry other tawdry Rush fans.

Did you call me tawdry?.... :LOL:
  • Like 2

Some of the best sounding Rush records had nothing to do with Terry Brown.

:eh:

Agree to disagree. I assume you mean that the newer records are the best sounding Rush.

I whole heartedly disagree.

No. I meant Power Windows and Grace Under Pressure. Counterparts was very clean. Am I talking about song quality? Not necessarily. Just the sound.

VT-CA have not been produced or mixed to impress.

Yes, but Terry wasn't just about the sound of the recording. Terry was way more. There is no way Terry would have let Geddy get away with some of the melody lines on the later albums or Alex's 12 guitar sound. He was the best they ever had.

I agree he was their best producer, but I am glad they got rid of him. I'm happy with the music they created after his departure

My point exactly.

I wholeheartedly disagree.... :)

It's not like Rush was all of the sudden going to make AFTK over and over again just because they kept Terry. They had already decided to change their direction, Terry obviously didn't know how to treat the new direction (see Signals), they had to ditch him

BOOOOO!

There are lots of people that yearn for the days of 20 minute epics, double necks and power chords. I can't blame the band for moving in the direction they did, but I don't get how they wouldn't want go back to their roots at some point? I know Ged and Alex were fans of bands like Yes and Led Zeppelin and I often wonder if the hated the fact the Yes went from "Close to the Edge" to "Owner of a lonely heart" and Zeppelin went from "Whole lotta love" to "Hot Dog". You gotta think that they wished those old bands made music like they did in the 70s like every other fan on the planet? Or do they sit back and say "I wish Zeppelin would put out more tunes like Hot Dog because that's where there artistic sided were taking them"?

I just don't get it. As a guitar player, I can play plenty of technically challenging stuff, but when playing in front of people I much prefer to play stuff that gets the audience moving, even if its something simple like Jessie's Girl or Echo Beach. If I were in Rush I would surely prefer to play the tunes that make the audience go nuts, and I would strive to write more music in that vein. Give the people what they want IMO.

Agree to disagree. I assume you mean that the newer records are the best sounding Rush.

No. I meant Power Windows and Grace Under Pressure. Counterparts was very clean. Am I talking about song quality? Not necessarily. Just the sound.

Yes, but Terry wasn't just about the sound of the recording. Terry was way more. There is no way Terry would have let Geddy get away with some of the melody lines on the later albums or Alex's 12 guitar sound. He was the best they ever had.

I agree he was their best producer, but I am glad they got rid of him. I'm happy with the music they created after his departure

My point exactly.

It's not like Rush was all of the sudden going to make AFTK over and over again just because they kept Terry. They had already decided to change their direction, Terry obviously didn't know how to treat the new direction (see Signals), they had to ditch him

For me signals was probably the last good album. I didn't like the direction they were moving after Moving Pictures, but the music was still really good. After signals it really didn't excite me any more and it still doesn't. So yes, I think Terry Brown had a huge influence on Rush's sound, even on the keyboard stuff. Once he was gone the band just stopped sounding like Rush, and they've never been able to recapture that.

• Like 3

My point exactly.

For me signals was probably the last good album. I didn't like the direction they were moving after Moving Pictures, but the music was still really good. After signals it really didn't excite me any more and it still doesn't. So yes, I think Terry Brown had a huge influence on Rush's sound, even on the keyboard stuff. Once he was gone the band just stopped sounding like Rush, and they've never been able to recapture that.

Exactly^

• Like 1

My point exactly.

I agree with this. For those of us who got into Rush in the pre-Signals era, Rush had a certain sound and style, and each new album "made sense" in the context of that sound and style...you could trace a somewhat "logical" progression from the debut through Hemispheres. Certainly PeW and MP were deviations from that progression, but the changes still made sense in the bigger scheme, but starting with Signals, that band was gone -- what followed was still called Rush and still had the same members, but it wasn't the same band we'd grown to appreciate. Illusions were painfully shattered, I suppose.

In some ways I'm envious of you younger fans who came to know Rush after they began to have a variety of styles to offer. The Rush we old folks came to know and love left the stage a long time ago.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 3

My point exactly.

I agree with this. For those of us who got into Rush in the pre-Signals era, Rush had a certain sound and style, and each new album "made sense" in the context of that sound and style...you could trace a somewhat "logical" progression from the debut through Hemispheres. Certainly PeW and MP were deviations from that progression, but the changes still made sense in the bigger scheme, but starting with Signals, that band was gone -- what followed was still called Rush and still had the same members, but it wasn't the same band we'd grown to appreciate. Illusions were painfully shattered, I suppose.

In some ways I'm envious of you younger fans who came to know Rush after they began to have a variety of styles to offer. The Rush we old folks came to know and love left the stage a long time ago.

That's so sad, but I understand how you feel.

There are lots of people that yearn for the days of 20 minute epics, double necks and power chords. I can't blame the band for moving in the direction they did, but I don't get how they wouldn't want go back to their roots at some point? I know Ged and Alex were fans of bands like Yes and Led Zeppelin and I often wonder if the hated the fact the Yes went from "Close to the Edge" to "Owner of a lonely heart" and Zeppelin went from "Whole lotta love" to "Hot Dog". You gotta think that they wished those old bands made music like they did in the 70s like every other fan on the planet? Or do they sit back and say "I wish Zeppelin would put out more tunes like Hot Dog because that's where there artistic sided were taking them"?

I just don't get it. As a guitar player, I can play plenty of technically challenging stuff, but when playing in front of people I much prefer to play stuff that gets the audience moving, even if its something simple like Jessie's Girl or Echo Beach. If I were in Rush I would surely prefer to play the tunes that make the audience go nuts, and I would strive to write more music in that vein. Give the people what they want IMO.

I had forgotten that Yes did Owner Of A Lonely Heart. A far cry from Close To The Edge for sure. When you put Rush in that context, I understand how some of you feel.

From what I have read and listened to in interviews, they did say they wanted to get away from the seventies' epics. I do think they still have it in them to write more music like that. Whether they will or not remains to be seen.

Exactly^

I believe they DID recapture that with Clockwork Angels, albeit in a style that was slightly modernized. CA has captivated me like nothing they've done since the very early 80s.

I wonder what CA would have sounded like if Broon produced it? Well, a girl can dream, right? :)

• Like 4

Exactly^

I believe they DID recapture that with Clockwork Angels, albeit in a style that was slightly modernized. CA has captivated me like nothing they've done since the very early 80s.

I wonder what CA would have sounded like if Broon produced it? Well, a girl can dream, right? :)

Cleaner and better would be my guess. Much better..... :)
  • Like 3

Exactly^

And hopefully the songs wouldn't have had so much filler in them. "You don't need to repeat the chorus so many times, guys. I think the fans are smart enough to get the gist of Wish Them Well."

• Like 1

My point exactly.

Please don't lump ALL fans that got into the band pre-Signals into the same group.

My first show was on the PeW tour and for *me* Signals was a very logical progression when you consider how much more prevalent keys were on MP than on the album before. It was the next step and absolutely the same band.. and then P/g! PoW were progressions from that point. Still the same band.

Just because YOU don't like the direction the band progressed into doesn't mean it's not the same band or that they're any worse because of the choices they made.

• Like 1

My point exactly.

Please don't lump ALL fans that got into the band pre-Signals into the same group.

My first show was on the PeW tour and for *me* Signals was a very logical progression when you consider how much more prevalent keys were on MP than on the album before. It was the next step and absolutely the same band.. and then P/g! PoW were progressions from that point. Still the same band.

Just because YOU don't like the direction the band progressed into doesn't mean it's not the same band or that they're any worse because of the choices they made.

No of course not, but "worse" or "better" are wholly subjective terms. For me (see what I did there?), Rush quit being Rush when they cut signals. Same band name, same band members, but not the same band.

Exactly^

And hopefully the songs wouldn't have had so much filler in them. "You don't need to repeat the chorus so many times, guys. I think the fans are smart enough to get the gist of Wish Them Well."

One of my least favorites on the album due to this. Geez. Its a weak song in my opinion.... :huh:
  • Like 1

Think of it this way, when you talk about direction you are talking about movement. I this case from being a hard rock power trio to being some kind of progressive soft rock trio. I don't really appreciate progressive soft rock, but as the move in that direction was gradual, there has to be a point where they crossed a line. I think signals is probably an accurate estimate of where that line might be. It doesn't matter how good the songs are after that point, I'm not denying that they aren't good. They are just no longer in the genre of music that I or most of the bands original fan base enjoy. If they had slowly bridged in to being a full on country band would you still feel the same about them? The band has been able to maintain its popularity for the most part by devoting a good chunk of their shows to the pre signals era and I firmly believe that the day they stop playing their oldies is the day the band will be playing theatres and not arenas.

Exactly^

One of my least favorites on the album due to this. Geez. Its a weak song in my opinion.... :huh:

But you don't understand! Even if you're going through hell you just keep on going! And that's what the song is doing...

Not a fan of Wish Them Well, either. Not counting BU2B2, it's the only song on CA that I don't like.

Think of it this way, when you talk about direction you are talking about movement. I this case from being a hard rock power trio to being some kind of progressive soft rock trio. I don't really appreciate progressive soft rock, but as the move in that direction was gradual, there has to be a point where they crossed a line. I think signals is probably an accurate estimate of where that line might be. It doesn't matter how good the songs are after that point, I'm not denying that they aren't good. They are just no longer in the genre of music that I or most of the bands original fan base enjoy. If they had slowly bridged in to being a full on country band would you still feel the same about them? The band has been able to maintain its popularity for the most part by devoting a good chunk of their shows to the pre signals era and I firmly believe that the day they stop playing their oldies is the day the band will be playing theatres and not arenas.

They essentially have already stopped playing their oldies. 2112 was the only 70s song played on the CA Tour

They essentially have already stopped playing their oldies. 2112 was the only 70s song played on the CA Tour

Maybe that is because they played so many songs from CA?

I'm listening to 2112 now. Before that i had on Grace Under Pressure (p/g for those of you in the secret club ;) ;) ). For myself, if I listen to their albums in progression, I don't seem to notice such a big difference in them. When I go backwards, that's when I notice it the most.

• Like 1

Maybe that is because they played so many songs from CA?

I'm listening to 2112 now. Before that i had on Grace Under Pressure (p/g for those of you in the secret club ;) ;) ). For myself, if I listen to their albums in progression, I don't seem to notice such a big difference in them. When I go backwards, that's when I notice it the most.

I agree with you there. If I listen to the albums is order, I don't really notice a big jump until P/G to PoW
  • Like 3

I'm willing to bet they'll bring some more back for the next tour, like Xanadu or The Trees. Apart from that, they generally haven't gone farther back than Permanent Waves except for 2112.

:LOL: I have to laugh to myself picturing JARG and others listening to 2112 in 1976. I know what I would have been like had I known of the album's existence (too painful a regret to dwell on for long).

Attention all Planets of the Solar Federation

We have assumed control.

We have assumed control......

Like - wow, man!!! This is wild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smoke: :cool:

• Like 1

I have no issue with any eighties Rush album aside from Presto. It would be a top ten effort if it had the production of Moving Pictures and a completely new version of Supercinductor. The backing vocals on the chorus are HIDEOUS!!

Signals sounds fine to me. Perfect? No. But I love it!

I'm with you, this thread isn't about our current feelings but the feelings of those around when it was released. Now I recognize it as a natural evolution from PeW-MP-signals

:goodone:

That's exactly what is is. I will be the first to admit it was damn hard getting used to the band expanding after ATWAS. :rush:

• Like 1

I'm willing to bet they'll bring some more back for the next tour, like Xanadu or The Trees. Apart from that, they generally haven't gone farther back than Permanent Waves except for 2112.

I just hope Ged can keep his vocals in shape, he's struggled with both Xanadu and The Trees
  • Like 1

:LOL: I have to laugh to myself picturing JARG and others listening to 2112 in 1976. I know what I would have been like had I known of the album's existence (too painful a regret to dwell on for long).

Attention all Planets of the Solar Federation

We have assumed control.

We have assumed control......

Like - wow, man!!! This is wild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smoke: :cool:

Others right here.... :codger: Edited by Narpski
  • Like 3

I just hope Ged can keep his vocals in shape, he's struggled with both Xanadu and The Trees

As long as they keep touring I can overlook any of the vocal problems. The boys can still bring it and that's all I care about. Seeing them live brings back so many awesome memories!! :haz: :7up: :rush: