Why was Signals "the end" for some of you?

Lorraine

It's important to remember, too, that the band are not just musicians but fans of music and other musicians. As much as they might have had their vision of what they wanted their music to be, they also had their antennae up and running at full power. What you can't deny is that no matter how many synthesizers and sequencers there are in the songs, the complex arrangements and playing chops are still undeniably Rush. At least I think so. Sometimes, for me, listening to the later Rush albums is kind of like a treasure hunt (somewhere in all of this is a cool Rush Thing)!
  • Like 2

:LOL: I have to laugh to myself picturing JARG and others listening to 2112 in 1976. I know what I would have been like had I known of the album's existence (too painful a regret to dwell on for long).

Attention all Planets of the Solar Federation

We have assumed control.

We have assumed control......

Like - wow, man!!! This is wild!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :smoke: :cool:

In about '78 I had a buddy come over who thought Elvis was the epitome of rock (I grew up in a small Texas town that was -- and probably still is -- about 20 years behind the times). I put plugged in my 8-track version of ATtK and let him listen to Xanadu. About halfway through the song, he was jumping around my living room not unlike this guy:

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view4/4548424/tom-cruise-on-oprah-o.gif

• Like 1

It's important to remember, too, that the band are not just musicians but fans of music and other musicians. As much as they might have had their vision of what they wanted their music to be, they also had their antennae up and running at full power. What you can't deny is that no matter how many synthesizers and sequencers there are in the songs, the complex arrangements and playing chops are still undeniably Rush. At least I think so. Sometimes, for me, listening to the later Rush albums is kind of like a treasure hunt (somewhere in all of this is a cool Rush Thing)!

But will they ever do another Xanadu?

Edited by Lorraine

:LOL: I have to laugh to myself picturing JARG and others listening to 2112 in 1976. I know what I would have been like had I known of the album's existence (too painful a regret to dwell on for long).

We have assumed control.

In about '78 I had a buddy come over who thought Elvis was the epitome of rock (I grew up in a small Texas town that was -- and probably still is -- about 20 years behind the times). I put plugged in my 8-track version of ATtK and let him listen to Xanadu. About halfway through the song, he was jumping around my living room not unlike this guy:

Hey,

My my old buddy "Jake" the Parakeet would freak out and fly all over the room when I played it! :7up: :D

RIP Jake :rush:

Edited by troutman
  • Like 1

We have assumed control.

:laughing guy:

You may have been raised in a small Texas town but you did better than me who wasn't. At least you knew of the album's existence.

We have assumed control.

:laughing guy:

You may have been raised in a small Texas town but you did better than me who wasn't. At least you knew of the album's existence.

We were transplants from California. :)

JARG, what did your Elvis friend do when Cygnus X-1 came on? :LOL:

Unknown...he had to leave before Xanadu was even finished. I doubt he ever heard any Rush beyond what he heard in my living room that day...my hunch is that his parents wouldn't have let him buy a Rush record if their lives depended on it.

• Like 1

I just listened to four of their seventies albums and went straight to 1996 Test For Echo (I still don't think that is Geddy's voice singing background).

And I have to say that I am glad they got out of the seventies. That music was what we used to call "heavy" and it was perfect for its time. They had to move on. If they hadn't, they wouldn't be around today.

And that they could move ahead musically without harming their popularity just goes to show how talented they are.

Just my opinion.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 2

I think Signals is merely okay. I don't think it was the end like others do, but I don't think Signals is that great either and it definitely has it's problems.

If there's an album that very well may spell the deathknell for Rush, it's Clockwork Angels! I don't think the record is bad at all, but I find it kind of mediocre (The production in general I find extremely irritating) and given the massive praise it gets, I fear the trio may think that something of CA's quality is "good enough" for the next and potentially final record. That would be "the end" of Rush for me.

I just listened to four of their seventies albums and went straight to 1996 Test For Echo (I still don't think that is Geddy's voice singing background).

And I have to say that I am glad they got out of the seventies. That music was what we used to call "heavy" and it was perfect for its time. They had to move on. If they hadn't, they wouldn't be around today.

And that they could move ahead musically without harming their popularity just goes to show how talented they are.

Just my opinion.

Sorry Lorraine, that is Geddy in the background!
  • Like 1

Just my opinion.

Are you absolutely positive? It doesn't even sound like him. It sounds like a woman. Who is that woman that sang on one of Rush's song background? Are you certain it isn't her doing that harmony?

Just my opinion.

Are you absolutely positive? It doesn't even sound like him. It sounds like a woman. Who is that woman that sang on one of Rush's song background? Are you certain it isn't her doing that harmony?

Aimee Mann did backup vocals on TSS, but it ain't her this time. Nope, that's pure Ged Man. It does sound a bit like a woman though Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 1

Just my opinion.

Aimee Mann did backup vocals on TSS, but it ain't her this time. Nope, that's pure Ged Man. It does sound a bit like a woman though

That's a pretty high pitch.

Just so we know we are talking about the same part of the song, it is when he sings "what a show - vertigo - video vertigo - test for echo - touch and go in slow mo" at about 2:40 and then it is at the end of the song too.

Edited by Lorraine

Just my opinion.

Aimee Mann did backup vocals on TSS, but it ain't her this time. Nope, that's pure Ged Man. It does sound a bit like a woman though

What part are you talking about? The "video vertigo" bit later in the song?

I'm listening to 2112 now. Before that i had on Grace Under Pressure (p/g for those of you in the secret club ;) ;) ). For myself, if I listen to their albums in progression, I don't seem to notice such a big difference in them. When I go backwards, that's when I notice it the most.

I agree with you there. If I listen to the albums is order, I don't really notice a big jump until P/G to PoW

And that's exactly when they first started to lose me, with PoW :(

• Like 1

Just my opinion.

I edited my comment that you quoted to include this:

Just so we know we are talking about the same part of the song, it is when he sings "what a show - vertigo - video vertigo - test for echo - touch and go in slow mo" at about 2:40 and then it is at the end of the song too.
Edited by Lorraine

I'm listening to 2112 now. Before that i had on Grace Under Pressure (p/g for those of you in the secret club ;) ;) ). For myself, if I listen to their albums in progression, I don't seem to notice such a big difference in them. When I go backwards, that's when I notice it the most.

I agree with you there. If I listen to the albums is order, I don't really notice a big jump until P/G to PoW

And that's exactly when they first started to lose me, with PoW :(

I was clinging to hope. And looking for those little moments. A drum fill at the end of Grand Designs. The ending bit of Big Money. But that album has grown on me.

Just my opinion.

On T4E it's all Geddy.. guaranteed.

I met Peter Collins at the Nashville show last year and talked to him a lot about the albums he produced (T4E is one of them) and asked specifically about guest vocalists. The ONLY spot on any of the records he produced that has vocals other than Geddy is TSS.

• Like 1

Just my opinion.

Hmm. Yeah, those are pretty high notes, but nothing higher than C, I think. In Tom Sawyer, he's singing an E (above that C) in the line "what you say about society" (just for some context). It may sound different, too, because that (Test for Echo) vocal is mixed together with a vocal that's an octave lower. The other thing about the song is that it's an alternate tuning guitar (I think it's in D, rather than E). Does anyone on the forum know if Alex's guitar on this song has every string tuned down a full tone?

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 1

Just my opinion.

Sure sounds like Geddy to me. Sounds like he's just singing the high parts in falsetto.

The liner notes don't list any additional vocalist. http://www.cygnus-x1.net/links/rush/albums-testforecho.php

• Like 1

Just my opinion.

On T4E it's all Geddy.. guaranteed.

I met Peter Collins at the Nashville show last year and talked to him a lot about the albums he produced (T4E is one of them) and asked specifically about guest vocalists. The ONLY spot on any of the records he produced that has vocals other than Geddy is TSS.

Hmmm...I assumed the female-sounding voice in Force 10 & Tai Shan was Aimee Mann as well.