Lacuna Coil, Segue's Favourite Band Ever

Also, due to a very small buget in the early days, LC had like three weeks to record each album, two months for Comalies. It wasn't until Karmacode they had the bigger budget and marketing behind them! Two years they spent writing and recording that. So the earlier albums impress more when you have some background.
  • Like 1

So Karmacode....

Wonderful record. Spun it twice. I detect a middle eastern flavor in this one which works really well, especially with the lovely vocalizing Christina Scabbia does.

My picks here.

1. To the Edge.

2. Our Truth

3. Within me

4. What I see

5. Closer

6. In Visible Light

7. Without Fear

8. Enjoy the Silence.

This band creates such a great mood.

Digging it.

Mick

• Like 1

Karmacode is my all time favourite album! Played it over a thousand times, and In Visible Light is possibly my all time favourite song.
  • Like 1

So my last album for tonight. then I'm going to rest on this band. for tonight.

Comalies.

This album to me had very anthemic type songs. Also I noticed the vocals seemed a lot.......warmer is the only word i can think of

My picks

1. Swarmed

2. Humane

3. Self Deception

4. Tight rope

5. Entwined

This band is a hook/melody machine and i'm loving it. Out of the 4 records i've heard today. My favs are Dark Adrenaline and Karmacode.

More tomorrow.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Comalies is the critics favourite. Most fans adore it. I have mixed views, I love it but rarely crave it. Entwined is a masterpiece.
  • Like 1

So my last album for tonight. then I'm going to rest on this band. for tonight.

Comalies.

This album to me had very anthemic type songs. Also I noticed the vocals seemed a lot.......warmer is the only word i can think of

My picks

1. Swarmed

2. Humane

3. Self Deception

4. Tight rope

5. Entwined

This band is a hook/melody machine and i'm loving it. Out of the 4 records i've heard today. My favs are Dark Adrenaline and Karmacode.

More tomorrow.

Mick

After a few more listens this album should become a favorite for you. Of course, i'm a bit bias since Comalies is the album that got me into them. Give "Daylight Dancer" a few listens when you get a chance. Excellent song!!

Segue, i've got some questions about Lacuna Coil's setlists. Maybe since you're so knowledgeable about the band you could shed some light on them for me.

I'm seeing them this wednesday and I looked up their set and they're doing 5 off the new one, 5 off Dark Adrenaline, 2 or 3 off Karmacode and 2 off Comalies. Do you know why the band ignores the material off their first two albums on most of their tours and why there's only 2 off Comalies which is their most popular album? Do they just not care for that stuff anymore? I know on the Dark Legacy tour a couple years back they dusted off a few songs from their earlier years but it shouldn't take a special tour for them to do more stuff off their first 3 albums. I've been wondering about this stuff since the Karmacode tour.

• Like 1

I can't remember

the source, but recently the band mentioned that much of the earlier material is hard to translate live. I don't agree as I think My Wings, To Live Is To Hide and Hyperfast should always be included as crowdpleasers, but it seems the band has more fun with the latest material, which I think was often written with the live performance in mind!

I think, however, this is a big mistake. For one thing, so many of their early ballads (majority of them major fan favourites) get overlooked, which is a shame as they are what i think Cristina excels at best. Sorry if I am not a huge help! I hope you enjoy the gig! Try and meet them if possible, they are lovely!

I can't remember

the source, but recently the band mentioned that much of the earlier material is hard to translate live. I don't agree as I think My Wings, To Live Is To Hide and Hyperfast should always be included as crowdpleasers, but it seems the band has more fun with the latest material, which I think was often written with the live performance in mind!

I think, however, this is a big mistake. For one thing, so many of their early ballads (majority of them major fan favourites) get overlooked, which is a shame as they are what i think Cristina excels at best. Sorry if I am not a huge help! I hope you enjoy the gig! Try and meet them if possible, they are lovely!

Actually, that does help. They're not the only band i've heard of to shy away from doing certain material because they don't think it translates well live. It's too bad they feel that way about the early stuff because I think if they did stuff off the first three albums more often those songs would get a great response from the crowd. They didn't come around here on the Dark Legacy tour so I don't know how well received the earlier songs they played on that tour were. I'm not sure about meeting them since i'm not one of those people who does that. If the opportunity presents itself to do it I will, but I don't go out of my way to meet the bands I see. I've never heard any bad stories about fans who have meet them though.

I can't remember

Actually, that does help. They're not the only band i've heard of to shy away from doing certain material because they don't think it translates well live. It's too bad they feel that way about the early stuff because I think if they did stuff off the first three albums more often those songs would get a great response from the crowd. They didn't come around here on the Dark Legacy tour so I don't know how well received the earlier songs they played on that tour were. I'm not sure about meeting them since i'm not one of those people who does that. If the opportunity presents itself to do it I will, but I don't go out of my way to meet the bands I see. I've never heard any bad stories about fans who have meet them though.

The Dark Legacy tour was awesome!

One massive thing in the bands favour, the gigs always feel like one massive party.

Another thing? They are so fun to talk to its...ridiculous...LC are the only band I have ever desired to meet!

On wednesday night I saw Lacuna Coil and it was the last show of their current North American tour. I didn't realise they had been over here touring for 15 weeks until Andrea had mentioned it when he was talking between songs. I guess they started touring before the new album came out. This show was booked at the last minute. Tickets had went on sale May 2nd and Andrea thanked the crowd for coming even though it was short notice. The venue they played fits about 1,000 people but maybe only 300 or so were there. I would like to think if the show had gotten an extra month or two to sell tickets like most shows, the turnout would've been a bit better. It was a small crowd but they were very vocal and into the whole show.

Holy shit, I haven't mentioned Cristina yet, what the hell is wrong with me? Her voice was flawless, how she sounds in the studio is exactly how she sounds live. That's how damn good of a singer she is. I haven't seen too many singers get into the show the way Cristina does. It's almost as if she's possessed something, she is just so locked in to what she's doing on the stage. Nothing breaks her focus while she's performing a song. It really makes you realise how passionate she is and how much performing means to her. As always she looked beautiful and was wearing a black dress that went down to her knees and the usual black boots she always has on. Andrea's performance was great as well and just like Cristina there isn't much difference with his studio and live vocals either. They both brought great energy to the performance and the band sounded great to. Honestly, this was one of the most perfect sounding concerts i've ever heard. The set was a few songs shorter than some of their other headlining shows on this tour. Maybe they really wanted to get home after being on the road for so long, who knows?

Here's the setlist:

Trip The Darkness

Kill The Light

Die & Rise

Swamped

Intoxicated

Victims

Fire

Fragments Of Faith

Zombies

Heaven's A Lie

Upsidedown

Spellbound

encore:

Nothing Stands In Our Way

Our Truth

I was disappointed that Hostage To The Light wasn't played since it had been in some of the recent sets. Hopefully they'll come around North America again for this album and I'll get another chance to see them do that song. Kill The Light, Swamped, Victims, Zombies, Heaven's A Lie and Nothing Stands In Our Way were the highlights of the show for me.

• Like 1

On wednesday night I saw Lacuna Coil and it was the last show of their current North American tour. I didn't realise they had been over here touring for 15 weeks until Andrea had mentioned it when he was talking between songs. I guess they started touring before the new album came out. This show was booked at the last minute. Tickets had went on sale May 2nd and Andrea thanked the crowd for coming even though it was short notice. The venue they played fits about 1,000 people but maybe only 300 or so were there. I would like to think if the show had gotten an extra month or two to sell tickets like most shows, the turnout would've been a bit better. It was a small crowd but they were very vocal and into the whole show.

Holy shit, I haven't mentioned Cristina yet, what the hell is wrong with me? Her voice was flawless, how she sounds in the studio is exactly how she sounds live. That's how damn good of a singer she is. I haven't seen too many singers get into the show the way Cristina does. It's almost as if she's possessed something, she is just so locked in to what she's doing on the stage. Nothing breaks her focus while she's performing a song. It really makes you realise how passionate she is and how much performing means to her. As always she looked beautiful and was wearing a black dress that went down to her knees and the usual black boots she always has on. Andrea's performance was great as well and just like Cristina there isn't much difference with his studio and live vocals either. They both brought great energy to the performance and the band sounded great to. Honestly, this was one of the most perfect sounding concerts i've ever heard. The set was a few songs shorter than some of their other headlining shows on this tour. Maybe they really wanted to get home after being on the road for so long, who knows?

Here's the setlist:

Trip The Darkness

Kill The Light

Die & Rise

Swamped

Intoxicated

Victims

Fire

Fragments Of Faith

Zombies

Heaven's A Lie

Upsidedown

Spellbound

encore:

Our Truth

I was disappointed that Hostage To The Light wasn't played since it had been in some of the recent sets. Hopefully they'll come around North America again for this album and I'll get another chance to see them do that song. Kill The Light, Swamped, Victims, Zombies, Heaven's A Lie and Nothing Stands In Our Way were the highlights of the show for me.

So jealous! Aaaah!

Well glad I am not alone! I think the new album is possibly their greatest yet, and I am so pleased that it translates well live!

Darn it, you got to see Intoxicated live. Well done. I have to see it done.

Here's the setlist:

Trip The Darkness

Kill The Light

Die & Rise

Swamped

Intoxicated

Victims

Fire

Fragments Of Faith

Zombies

Heaven's A Lie

Upsidedown

Spellbound

encore:

Our Truth

So jealous! Aaaah!

Well glad I am not alone! I think the new album is possibly their greatest yet, and I am so pleased that it translates well live!

The new stuff did translate well live and i'm really starting to think that Broken Crown Halo might be their best album to. Everything has just come together so perfect with it, there isn't a flaw to be found. I hope they try to tour for a bit behind it because I know there's a lot of fans that weren't too high on their last few releases, myself included, so it would be good to try and tour a bunch with this album to get those fans back. This album has renewed my faith a lot in the band and has reignited a passion for their music that I haven't had since I first got into them over a decade ago.

Edited by J2112YYZ

Here's the setlist:

Trip The Darkness

Kill The Light

Die & Rise

Swamped

Intoxicated

Victims

Fire

Fragments Of Faith

Zombies

Heaven's A Lie

Upsidedown

Spellbound

encore:

Our Truth

So jealous! Aaaah!

The new stuff did translate well live and i'm really starting to think that Broken Crown Halo might be their best album to. Everything has just come together so perfect with it, there isn't a flaw to be found. I hope they try to tour for a bit behind it because I know there's a lot of fans that weren't too high on their last few releases, myself included, so it would be good to try and tour a bunch with this album to get those fans back. This album has renewed my faith a lot in the band and has reignited a passion for their music that I haven't had since I first got into them over a decade ago.

I do love Shallow Life and Dark Adrenaline, but compared to my firmer favourites, I did have the opinion that if BCH didn't step it up just a tiny notch I would pretty much lose my number one favourite band.

But Broken Crown Halo is a beast of an album, the kind of music I thought would never come again from this band, and not only have I been bkown away, I have no doubt in my mind that LC is still ny favourite band!

I just don't understand all the lukewarm reviews...

Alright guys.

Anyone want to offer me a playlist of older Lacuna Coil songs to listen to? Or maybe an album to start with? I know the last two albums well but not much before that.

Cheers :D

Circle

To Myself I Turned

Reverie

Veins Of Glass

Falling Again

Heir Of A Dying Day

To Live Is To Hide

Purify

When A Dead Man Walks

1:19

Swamped

Heaven's A Lie

Daylight Dancer

Tight Rope

Unspoken

Entwined

This covers material on their first three albums. Keep in mind that musically they were a bit different than now. Also, their English wasn't always the best on those albums either. The way they worded some of the lyrics was a little odd but you still get what they're trying to say.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 2

Go on Amazon marketplace. Buy it all.

Give it time to sink in.

See them live.

Do it.

But seriously, early LC is very of its time, and for most American fans it takes a little getting used to, as they were very much a European entity up until Karmacode.

GET KARMACODE AND COMALIES!!

And Shallow Life...

Its useless asking me.

Give it time to sink in.

See them live.

Do it.

But seriously, early LC is very of its time, and for most American fans it takes a little getting used to, as they were very much a European entity up until Karmacode.

And Shallow Life...

Its useless asking me.

Oh no, don't tell a new fan to get Shallow Life. That's like suggesting to a new Rush fan to try Roll The Bones. Remember we're trying to turn people onto the band not drive them away.

• Like 1

Give it time to sink in.

See them live.

Do it.

And Shallow Life...

Its useless asking me.

Oh no, don't tell a new fan to get Shallow Life. That's like suggesting to a new Rush fan to try Roll The Bones. Remember we're trying to turn people onto the band not drive them away.

Erm....I love Shallow Life! It was a bit of a shock to the senses, but it is addictive pop rock!

OK...get it last...but get the deluxe version (the bonus tracks are LC at their very best, and I could slap them for leaving them off whilst lesser songs made the cut!).

Thing is, based on the new albums, if you love them, you should be OK with the rest of their discography.

And the odd misuse of English is utterly charming!

Haha...there was just talk about reviving this thread yesterday, and I see now that someone did!

I have Segue to thank for turning me on to this band- I'd never heard a note and never heard their name, even, when I first saw his posts raving about them on this forum.

I have four studio albums, and nothing live. But Broken Crown Halo was first, which I absolutely love...then Karmacode, then Comalies, and then Dark Adrenaline (which is my second favourite of these four).

I haven't heard anything of theirs yet that I don't like. And much of it is just mind-bogglingly good!

There are other bands, heavy bands who use a female lead vocalist...but out of any and all of them, LC seem to my ears to have something very special about them. It's not something I can readily define. It's just good!

• Like 3

Haha...there was just talk about reviving this thread yesterday, and I see now that someone did!

I have Segue to thank for turning me on to this band- I'd never heard a note and never heard their name, even, when I first saw his posts raving about them on this forum.

I have four studio albums, and nothing live. But Broken Crown Halo was first, which I absolutely love...then Karmacode, then Comalies, and then Dark Adrenaline (which is my second favourite of these four).

I haven't heard anything of theirs yet that I don't like. And much of it is just mind-bogglingly good!

There are other bands, heavy bands who use a female lead vocalist...but out of any and all of them, LC seem to my ears to have something very special about them. It's not something I can readily define. It's just good!

I agree!

Many femme metal fans argue that this band isn't technical enough (hhhmmmm...this sounds familiar...), or that they should drop the male vocals, or go ultra heavy...

But LC, who on paper sound quite average, are on record ultra addictive, and often heavily emotional, without any pretension at all!

I cannot define what it is about LC that I love so much, but from the debut EP to the latest full length, they have never let me down (although leaving the best songs off Shallow Life and releasing them as B-Sides comes close...).

Plus, in Cristina Scabbia, you have my all time favourite singer, and in Karmacode, my all time favourite album.

• Like 1

And just because they have a female vocalist does not mean I think Nightwish or Evanescence belong in the same category.

Saying all female fronted rock bands are the same genre would be like saying Yes and Van Halen are the same because they rock and have male singers.