Lacuna Coil, Segue's Favourite Band Ever

Haha...there was just talk about reviving this thread yesterday, and I see now that someone did!

I have Segue to thank for turning me on to this band- I'd never heard a note and never heard their name, even, when I first saw his posts raving about them on this forum.

Same here and now they're definitely in my top 10 :D

Edited by LittleRushmonkey
  • Like 1

And just because they have a female vocalist does not mean I think Nightwish or Evanescence belong in the same category.

Saying all female fronted rock bands are the same genre would be like saying Yes and Van Halen are the same because they rock and have male singers.

Yeah, they're not the same genre as Nightwish or Evanescence. I've always felt that Lacuna Coil was for the most part can be considered gothic metal. Except for Karamcode where they went for a more modern nu metal sound and Shallow Life where they went pop. Those two albums still contained gothic elements though.

Nightwish is obviously symphonic metal and are one of the pioneers of the genre. LC does have keyboards in their songs but the guitar is their main song driving instrument. Where as with Nightwish, the keyboards carry the song musically.

Evanescence sounded closest to Nightwish on their first album but I would still consider them more of a gothic style band but it's not the same style of goth that LC is. I've slowly stopped caring about Evanescence over the years because they take too damn long between albums. They've only released three albums since 2003, come on now.

There are musical and lyrical similarities with all three bands but there are a lot more differences when you actually take the time to really listen to them.

• Like 1

And just because they have a female vocalist does not mean I think Nightwish or Evanescence belong in the same category.

Saying all female fronted rock bands are the same genre would be like saying Yes and Van Halen are the same because they rock and have male singers.

Yeah, they're not the same genre as Nightwish or Evanescence. I've always felt that Lacuna Coil was for the most part can be considered gothic metal. Except for Karamcode where they went for a more modern nu metal sound and Shallow Life where they went pop. Those two albums still contained gothic elements though.

Nightwish is obviously symphonic metal and are one of the pioneers of the genre. LC does have keyboards in their songs but the guitar is their main song driving instrument. Where as with Nightwish, the keyboards carry the song musically.

Evanescence sounded closest to Nightwish on their first album but I would still consider them more of a gothic style band but it's not the same style of goth that LC is. I've slowly stopped caring about Evanescence over the years because they take too damn long between albums. They've only released three albums since 2003, come on now.

There are musical and lyrical similarities with all three bands but there are a lot more differences when you actually take the time to really listen to them.

Exactly, people like to generalise female fronted bands as if having a woman is enough to be a sole genre.

And as for Evanescence, I happen to think the wait is worth it. The last album i regard as a modern pop metal masterpiece, and a peak for the genre as a whole.

Haha...there was just talk about reviving this thread yesterday, and I see now that someone did!

I have Segue to thank for turning me on to this band- I'd never heard a note and never heard their name, even, when I first saw his posts raving about them on this forum.

I am so glad!

Don't let initial plays of the early stuff knock them down for you, because some new fans divide the band into two eras, but every album they release is a twist on the one before. Stylistically, the biggest jump in sound was between In A Reverie and the follow up Unleashed Memories.

But old school fans (aside from me) treat Karmacode as if it was a complete 180° from what came before, and I truly believe the album is NOT nu-metal. Prevalent bass-lines are not enough to make this Korn pt.II.

I am so glad!

Don't let initial plays of the early stuff knock them down for you, because some new fans divide the band into two eras, but every album they release is a twist on the one before. Stylistically, the biggest jump in sound was between In A Reverie and the follow up Unleashed Memories.

But old school fans (aside from me) treat Karmacode as if it was a complete 180° from what came before, and I truly believe the album is NOT nu-metal. Prevalent bass-lines are not enough to make this Korn pt.II.

But prevalent bass lines that sound like Korn combined with nu-metal riffs that sound like Korn does make Karmacode a very nu-metal album. If you stopped listening to the album through fanboy ears, maybe you would actually hear it ;)

Musically, it was an awful choice for the band to go that way on Karmacode. They were so hot after the success Comalies in the US after wowing crowds with their performances at Ozzfest in 2004. Their European style was different than what else was happening on the American metal scene at the time, so they stood out musically and in their presentation with the male/female vocals. The female happens to be one of the most beautiful women in the world which no doubt helped but they were still different from the other metal bands. But with Karmacode, most of the material just sounded like your average run of the mill mainstream US metal band. They weren't unique anymore, they sounded like everyone else except they had two singers. That doesn't mean that I think Karmacode is a terrible album or anything but it's one of those albums I have to be in the right mood for in order to listen to it all the way through.

It took them a few albums but at least they got back to being great again on Broken Crown Halo.

I am so glad!

But prevalent bass lines that sound like Korn combined with nu-metal riffs that sound like Korn does make Karmacode a very nu-metal album. If you stopped listening to the album through fanboy ears, maybe you would actually hear it ;)

Musically, it was an awful choice for the band to go that way on Karmacode. They were so hot after the success Comalies in the US after wowing crowds with their performances at Ozzfest in 2004. Their European style was different than what else was happening on the American metal scene at the time, so they stood out musically and in their presentation with the male/female vocals. The female happens to be one of the most beautiful women in the world which no doubt helped but they were still different from the other metal bands. But with Karmacode, most of the material just sounded like your average run of the mill mainstream US metal band. They weren't unique anymore, they sounded like everyone else except they had two singers. That doesn't mean that I think Karmacode is a terrible album or anything but it's one of those albums I have to be in the right mood for in order to listen to it all the way through.

It took them a few albums but at least they got back to being great again on Broken Crown Halo.

y

I honestly can hear the Korn influence, but I hear mainly a heavier version of Comalies, wiyh plenty of European influence and over all flawless vocals.

LC are huge fans of American metal and Euro-metal, and in all honesty karmacode moulds the two and truly sounds like neither.

Its not fanboy ears. The first time I heard Karmacode all I remember is being swamped by the middle eastern stylings, and the soaring vocals, and the cryptic lyrics.

It was a good two years before I realised that a lot of fans on the internet bashed it for sounding like Korn and being Nu Metal.

And I still don't hear it.

Sort of like Rush and their new wave influences. They incorporated their favourite elements, but never truly became new wave.

And like Rush, it appears LC lost a portion of their fanbase but won over a few more.

And I also love Shallow Life. And that to me is their weakest album, but I blame the producer. Overall, I still adore it!

Edited by Segue Myles

Let me tell you something about me and LC. When i first started with them i did not get it. I know Segue will defend against this and i will now too. But on first listens they sounded to down and goth for me. and i like goth rock in small doses. The other thing my brain said was........oh not this male female bullshit dynamic AGAIN.

oh boy i was wrong.

First of all the closet thing they'll ever come to goth was the debut record which is low on the ladder for me anyway.

I love thy pushed in a more pop direction too. Made it more digestable for me.

If anyone cares my rankings are

1. Comalies

2. Karmacode

3. Dark Adrenaline

4. Shallow Life

5. Broken Crown Halo

6. Unleashed Memories

7. in a Reverie

Mick

• Like 1

Let me tell you something about me and LC. When i first started with them i did not get it. I know Segue will defend against this and i will now too. But on first listens they sounded to down and goth for me. and i like goth rock in small doses. The other thing my brain said was........oh not this male female bullshit dynamic AGAIN.

oh boy i was wrong.

First of all the closet thing they'll ever come to goth was the debut record which is low on the ladder for me anyway.

1. Comalies

2. Karmacode

3. Dark Adrenaline

4. Shallow Life

5. Broken Crown Halo

6. Unleashed Memories

7. in a Reverie

Mick

Welcome back my Rush brother!

• Like 1

oh boy i was wrong.

1. Comalies

2. Karmacode

3. Dark Adrenaline

4. Shallow Life

5. Broken Crown Halo

6. Unleashed Memories

7. in a Reverie

Mick

Welcome back my Rush brother!

thank you. Everyone should take a break sometime. it does refresh you, lol

Mick

oh boy i was wrong.

1. Comalies

2. Karmacode

3. Dark Adrenaline

4. Shallow Life

5. Broken Crown Halo

6. Unleashed Memories

7. in a Reverie

Mick

It's odd because my lowest ranking releases for this band are still in my top thirty favourite albums ever!

It's not me being a fanboy. I love this band so much and its because I love them like this that makes them my undisputed number one band!

• Like 1

They're an entertaining band to watch live. I got to see them in 2003 when they were an opening act for Opeth here in Vegas. I kinda grew out of them though. Cristina Scabbia has a fantastic voice but Andrea Ferro's live singing, well, I am not a fan. Last thing I heard from them was Trip the Darkness as an acoustic piece on Youtube. I like that version of it.
  • Like 2

They're an entertaining band to watch live. I got to see them in 2003 when they were an opening act for Opeth here in Vegas. I kinda grew out of them though. Cristina Scabbia has a fantastic voice but Andrea Ferro's live singing, well, I am not a fan. Last thing I heard from them was Trip the Darkness as an acoustic piece on Youtube. I like that version of it.

I saw them last year and Andrea is a much better live singer. Both him and Cristina sang as good as they do on their albums that night. When you saw them, that may have been one of, if not the first time they ever toured North America and Andrea may have been still trying to find himself as a live singer. He's got no problem with that now. It always seem to me that Cristina has never had any problem knowing who she is on stage and performing to the highest level. Andrea is currently at the same standard of performing live that Cristina has always been. It makes their live shows that much better now.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

I saw them last year and Andrea is a much better live singer. Both him and Cristina sang as good as they do on their albums that night. When you saw them, that may have been one of, if not the first time they ever toured North America and Andrea may have been still trying to find himself as a live singer. He's got no problem with that now. It always seem to me that Cristina has never had any problem knowing who she is on stage and performing to the highest level. Andrea is currently at the same standard of performing live that Cristina has always been. It makes their live shows that much better now.

I love Andrea. He and Cri have the best studio chemistry of any male/female vocal group I have ever heard, and live...I just love them!

• Like 2

So a little heads up for new and old fans alike!

http://metalhammer.t...lectronic-sound

So LC, in the event of losing one guitarist, is heading it seems for a more electronic sound. Woop woop!

I love my LC dripping in synths, so this sounds up my alley! Hope they keep the intensity of BCH, but I am ready for a new era.

• Like 2

So LC, in the event of losing one guitarist, is heading it seems for a more electronic sound. Woop woop!

I love my LC dripping in synths, so this sounds up my alley! Hope they keep the intensity of BCH, but I am ready for a new era.

that could be epic.

can't wait.

Mick

• Like 1

that could be epic.

can't wait.

Mick

You know, I get so hyped up by any details of a new LC album it's ridiculous how stupid I get.

Fanboy!

As always I suspect the next album will disappoint. Because every time they release an album I am like "okay, its nearly two decades since you started. It's about time you do something sucky coz i am freaking out over my fanboi-isms!".

But noooo..I have to be wildly ecstatic EVERY TIME. Lol

I LOVE LACUNA COIL!

I ADORE LC's use of electronic stuff. whether it be a keyboard line here or a blip there......i think LC could make a hell of an electronica album.

Mick

Try the DA title track, released as the b-side to the Fire single. Electronica heaven!

• Like 1

Since I love BCH so much, I was kind of hoping the new album would continue in that direction. They've changed their sound with every album since Karmacode. It would be nice if they could stick with the same sound for more than one album now.

I understand that this musical direction is brought on because one of their guitar players left. Do they plan on hiring a new one? At least to play live if they aren't gonna be permanent?

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

Since I love BCH so much, I was kind of hoping the new album would continue in that direction. They've changed their sound with every album since Karmacode. It would be nice if they could stick with the same sound for more than one album now.

I understand that this musical direction is brought on because one of their guitar players left. Do they plan on hiring a new one? At least to play live if they aren't gonna be permanent?

No, they don't plan to hire a new guitarist.

And I must admit, I love LC constantly spicing things up! I've lost interest in bands like Within Temptation or Epica because every album sounds the same.

LC and Nightwish, whilst never totally transforming themselves, always seem to have fun changing things up!

And I must admit, I love LC constantly spicing things up! I've lost interest in bands like Within Temptation or Epica because every album sounds the same.

LC and Nightwish, whilst never totally transforming themselves, always seem to have fun changing things up!

I still love Within Temptation, they know what they are musically and they do it very well. I did lose interest in Epica a few years ago. While I can still tell the difference between all the Within Temptation material, Epica's stuff just all started to run together for me and it was hard to tell what was what with them anymore.

That's probably what LC is trying to avoid. Giving every album it's own sound will mean everything will always stay fresh and they won't get stuck doing the same thing over and over. Nightwish is always driven by the keyboards but they manage to tweak their sound enough on each album that they all still have an individual feel to them while still having their signature sound. Whether I like what LC has done or not, they do the same thing with each release too.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

I still love Within Temptation, they know what they are musically and they do it very well. I did lose interest in Epica a few years ago. While I can still tell the difference between all the Within Temptation material, Epica's stuff just all started to run together for me and it was hard to tell what was what with them anymore.

That's probably what LC is trying to avoid. Giving every album it's own sound will mean everything will always stay fresh and they won't get stuck doing the same thing over and over. Nightwish is always driven by the keyboards but they manage to tweak their sound enough on each album that they all still have an individual feel to them while still having their signature sound. Whether I like what LC has done or not, they do the same thing with each release too.

I am glad I evolved with LC. I discovered them the same day as HIM Nightwish and WT, amd of all these bands, WT and HIM gradually lost me on the way. But I love some of their work A LOT!

I believe you are correct, when they opened for Opeth, it was LC's first North American run. Even then, Cristina was fantastic and commanded the crowd. I may be wrong but I thought I read she was once doing jazz gigs on cruise ships or something to that effect. As for Andrea, on cd, he's good. I haven't seen them in concert since '03 but hopefully he has gotten better as a vocalist but even in the acoustic clip for Trip the Darkness at Virgin Radio studio, he was tough on my ears.

I listened to Dark Adrenaline this morning, because of something a couple of days ago that Segue posted in a different thread, about that album and its prevalence of pop hooks. I didn't agree wholeheartedly, as I've always thought that it is a fairly dark album (not as much as Broken Crown Halo, which I absolutely love...but pretty dark). And I love Dark Adrenaline, too...upon listening to again just today, I can hear the hooky pop leanings coming through...they're just cloaked in a while bunch of punchy, crunchy, heavy riffage and rhythms...which are fantastic.

My overall opinion of it is unchanged, though. I still love it!

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1