Best Song Ever?

Rutlefan

Obviously ask a thousand people and get a thousand different answers, and this has probably been done before (I'm far too lazy to search), but I was listening to Fleetwood Mac on the way in to work this morning it occurred to me that "Go Your Own Way" just might be the best song ever. What say you? I mean, what song do you think (not do you agree)?

I have two choices:

The Juliana Theory- August In Bethany

Fleetwood Mac- Gypsy

I could honestly never answer that question. I listen to way too many bands and wouldn't even know where to start when it came to picking my favorite song ever. Props to anyone who can actually do it though.
  • Like 2

Meat Loaf- For Crying out Loud.

Let me explain. In addition to being brought up in pop/rock and ever other genre. I was also bread in musical theater. Now Meat loaf was right up my alley. Loud, bombastic, over the top. Now this song, and I don't mind saying this, is IMO the greatest love song ever written. This song is going to be played at my funeral.

Nothing has topped it for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9grYYJ62h1k

Mick

Any one of Rick Astley's hits could qualify.

Nick Lowe thinks otherwise, as he explains from 0:55 to 1:35...

I could honestly never answer that question. I listen to way too many bands and wouldn't even know where to start when it came to picking my favorite song ever. Props to anyone who can actually do it though.

I respect that, though "favorite" is not necessarily the same thing as "best." If I had to pick a favorite it would probably be "Wish You Were Here," not "Go Your Own Way," yet I marvel at "Go Your Own Way" whenever I hear it. The lyrics, the vocals, the guitar, the drums. It's amazing to me. What's the saying? Lindsey has been touched by a "divine madness."

Meat Loaf- For Crying out Loud.

Let me explain. In addition to being brought up in pop/rock and ever other genre. I was also bread in musical theater. Now Meat loaf was right up my alley. Loud, bombastic, over the top. Now this song, and I don't mind saying this, is IMO the greatest love song ever written. This song is going to be played at my funeral.

Nothing has topped it for me.

https://www.youtube....h?v=9grYYJ62h1k

Mick

Excellent song. Bat Out Hell is my favorite tune from him but For Crying Out Loud is towards the top of the list of my favorite Meat Loaf songs.

• Like 1

I respect that, though "favorite" is not necessarily the same thing as "best." If I had to pick a favorite it would probably be "Wish You Were Here," not "Go Your Own Way," yet I marvel at "Go Your Own Way" whenever I hear it. The lyrics, the vocals, the guitar, the drums. It's amazing to me. What's the saying? Lindsey has been touched by a "divine madness."

Sorry, I worded that wrong by saying "favorite". Even so, for me to pick the best song of all time would be a very hard task. Too many great songs out there to ever windle the list down to just one.

Nope not that one, not disrespecting it, but I can't see why that would be the be all end all for people, there are plenty of kids today who probably have no idea what it is. I don't know why, but I always thought if some supercomputer compiled everyone's thoughts on music, that Ode To Joy would come out on top. It's perhaps the most recognisable work of music, and I think you would be very hard pressed to find someone who downright thinks its terrible. It is used so frequently, and is a joyful song to hear. Anyone who has learned music has probably played it, and it can easily be covered on any instrument adding an appropriate twist to raise anyone's enjoyment levels of the piece.

Sorry, I worded that wrong by saying "favorite". Even so, for me to pick the best song of all time would be a very hard task. Too many great songs out there to ever windle the list down to just one.

I'll have to agree here. How could one choose a "best" song? Best what—musicianship? lyrics? catchiness? production? raw emotion? All of those are different, and they're each subjective. I could probably write out a page of "best" songs. And my favourite changes from time to time.

There are many ways to look at this. What is my favorite or best seems to be the only way I can. What is popular does't mean what I think is best. I can appreciate so many songs but for me they must touch me deeply for various reasons. There are two that readily come to mind and for different reasons. One is really personal and one was popular in its day.

In The End live off of All The Worlds A Stage reminds me of my youth. Lonely in my room as a 16, 17 year old boy. My first and favorite recording ever and this song moves me like no other.

Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me by Elton John moves me in a similar way but slightly different. It came out in 74' when I was 14 and I remember it being on the radio and being a nice popular song. Since adulthood it has taken on a different meaning. Ever time I hear it, it makes me sad in a way and reminds me of my mortality. It gives me chills and touches me deeply like no other song does or has in that way..... :sigh:

• Like 1

Nope not that one, not disrespecting it, but I can't see why that would be the be all end all for people, there are plenty of kids today who probably have no idea what it is. I don't know why, but I always thought if some supercomputer compiled everyone's thoughts on music, that Ode To Joy would come out on top. It's perhaps the most recognisable work of music, and I think you would be very hard pressed to find someone who downright thinks its terrible. It is used so frequently, and is a joyful song to hear. Anyone who has learned music has probably played it, and it can easily be covered on any instrument adding an appropriate twist to raise anyone's enjoyment levels of the piece.

Well, I'm talking popular music of course. If all forms are allowed I guess I'd go with Beethoven as well and pick "Moonlight Sonata." Though maybe that's my "favorite" vs "best" :eh: . Best would be Beethoven's 9th, obviously, which trumps your "Ode to Joy"! Boo-ya! (just joking of course)

Edited by Rutlefan

"Thirteen" - Big Star

Good nomination. Any number of Big Star songs are candidates. For instance, I'll throw in Alex/Big Star's "Kangaroo" and "Take Care" for consideration, though I'm not backing down from "Go Your Own Way."

"Thirteen" - Big Star

Good nomination. Any number of Big Star songs are candidates. For instance, I'll throw in Alex/Big Star's "Kangaroo" and "Take Care" for consideration, though I'm not backing down from "Go Your Own Way."

Go Your Own Way is most certainly a great song. Hard for your ears not to perk up and the toe start tapping when it comes on. My favorite Mac song of many great ones....

Yeah, I hate to cop-out here too, but really....

It all depends on my mood. Perhaps I could name multiple songs in multiple categories. Not sure how to compare the bombast of Creeping Death with the delicate awesomeness of Tori Amos's Gold Dust...

• Like 1

There are many ways to look at this. What is my favorite or best seems to be the only way I can. What is popular does't mean what I think is best. I can appreciate so many songs but for me they must touch me deeply for various reasons. There are two that readily come to mind and for different reasons. One is really personal and one was popular in its day.

In The End live off of All The Worlds A Stage reminds me of my youth. Lonely in my room as a 16, 17 year old boy. My first and favorite recording ever and this song moves me like no other.

Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me by Elton John moves me in a similar way but slightly different. It came out in 74' when I was 14 and I remember it being on the radio and being a nice popular song. Since adulthood it has taken on a different meaning. Ever time I hear it, it makes me sad in a way and reminds me of my mortality. It gives me chills and touches me deeply like no other song does or has in that way..... :sigh:

Elton John's Greatest Hits and Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits were the albums that really made me fall in love with music when I was a kid, and they still remain really really special to me. One of my favorite childhood memories was playing sock hockey (a balled sweat sock wrapped with duct tape and hit with twelve inch rulers) with my brother on the living room floor while listening to E.J.'s Greatest Hits over and over on a Friday night. Big standard collie watching us intently, Brady Bunch on in the background, Mom cooking Swedish meatballs. That's what I think of when I hear Rocket Man or Daniel or any of the others. If we were reeally lucky the late night movie would be Planet of the Apes or Gargoyles or some other creature feature. I loved being a kid.

• Like 1

It all depends on my mood. Perhaps I could name multiple songs in multiple categories. Not sure how to compare the bombast of Creeping Death with the delicate awesomeness of Tori Amos's Gold Dust...

It's easy, just pretend you are a political talk show host and you know everything, and then confidently apply that to music. Dismiss dissenting points of view as groundless nonsense. It's a game really.

• Like 1

Elton John's Greatest Hits and Simon and Garfunkel's Greatest Hits were the albums that really made me fall in love with music when I was a kid, and they still remain really really special to me. One of my favorite childhood memories was playing sock hockey (a balled sweat sock wrapped with duct tape and hit with twelve inch rulers) with my brother on the living room floor while listening to E.J.'s Greatest Hits over and over on a Friday night. Big standard collie watching us intently, Brady Bunch on in the background, Mom cooking Swedish meatballs. That's what I think of when I hear Rocket Man or Daniel or any of the others. If we were reeally lucky the late night movie would be Planet of the Apes or Gargoyles or some other creature feature. I loved being a kid.

Gotta admit, I have no Elton albums in my collection but his songs are timeless. I had a church friend in high school and he was a big EJ fan. I was of course into Rush, JP and many others at the time and I knew EJ's music from the radio of course. The dude made some great music I gotta give it up. Funeral For A Friend is one of the greatest all time also in my view. The good thing about that song to is I haven't overheard it over the years so when I do it always sounds fresh to me....

It's easy, just pretend you are a political talk show host and you know everything, and then confidently apply that to music. Dismiss dissenting points of view as groundless nonsense. It's a game really.

I thought you were going to say pretend you are a politician and avoid to answer the question directly if at all.... :D

I am just waiting for bathory to man up and present his big 10 list in the other thread. I bet I haven't even heard of half of them :)

Edited by Narpski