Best Song Ever?

Rutlefan

The first side of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is one of those perfect album sides. When I was young my mom made me take piano lessons. I demanded she teach me how to play Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding. When she insisted I learn to play piano first I lost interest. :facepalm: .
  • Like 3

Instead of the "best song ever", I like choosing "perfect songs."

Exploring my iTunes library I came across another Beatles song - "Something"

I also feel there isn't a wasted moment in The Clash's "Train in Vain"

Possibly my favorite Dylan tune - "Positively 4th Street"

Pretenders - "Brass in Pocket"

Cheap Trick - "Surrender"

Simon & Garfunkel - "The Boxer"

I can do this for hours...

• Like 1

Me too. The Beatles "I Feel Fine," Dead's "Ripple," The Replacements "I Will Dare," Stones "19th Nervous Breakdown," Clash's "Train in Vain" (as you mentioned), The Smith's "You Just Haven't Earned it Yet" and "There's a Light," The Modern Lovers' "Roadrunner," Swell Maps' "Ripped and Torn" and "Let's Build a Car" (these last two are a little obscure so I pasted them below), etc. etc.

The first side of Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is one of those perfect album sides. When I was young my mom made me take piano lessons. I demanded she teach me how to play Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding. When she insisted I learn to play piano first I lost interest. :facepalm: .

That's my choice for my favorite all-time number one song. Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding. It's the first song I ever tried to play on guitar as well. It just reminds me of my youth. I don't listen to it very often because it puts me in a mental place that's part wistfulness and part happiness so it takes a lot out of me if that makes sense. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is my all-time favorite album as well. I wore out two LP albums from playing it so much

• Like 2

That's my choice for my favorite all-time number one song. Funeral for a Friend/Love Lies Bleeding. It's the first song I ever tried to play on guitar as well. It just reminds me of my youth. I don't listen to it very often because it puts me in a mental place that's part wistfulness and part happiness so it takes a lot out of me if that makes sense. Goodbye Yellow Brick Road is my all-time favorite album as well. I wore out two LP albums from playing it so much

Hah, me too. GBYBR is so personal that I rarely find I can listen to it.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 2

Good thread

For me it would be "in my life" by the Beatles or "wouldn't it be nice?" By the beach boys for well known songs.

Obscure? The Sundays "when I'm thinking about you."

• Like 2

Good thread

For me it would be "in my life" by the Beatles or "wouldn't it be nice?" By the beach boys for well known songs.

If I was to choose a Beach Boys song it would be God Only Knows. That one gets to me every time. Beautiful...
  • Like 3

Good thread

If I was to choose a Beach Boys song it would be God Only Knows. That one gets to me every time. Beautiful...

That's my second fave beach boys song and very high on my list.

• Like 1

This one, obviously:

Wow, Rick Astley's getting a lot of props here. Good for you Rick!

Going

Me too. The Beatles "I Feel Fine," Dead's "Ripple," The Replacements "I Will Dare," Stones "19th Nervous Breakdown," Clash's "Train in Vain" (as you mentioned), The Smith's "You Just Haven't Earned it Yet" and "There's a Light," The Modern Lovers' "Roadrunner," Swell Maps' "Ripped and Torn" and "Let's Build a Car" (these last two are a little obscure so I pasted them below), etc. etc.

Since this is a Rush forum I should have included "Limelight" and "Lakeside Park."

I dont understand this... we are on a Rush-forum but still almost noeone is saying Rush songs! :o

Only me and Narpski is (Yay narpski! :D )

• Like 2

I dont understand this... we are on a Rush-forum but still almost noeone is saying Rush songs! :o

Only me and Narpski is (Yay narpski! :D )

In that case I'm going to have to say The Spirit of Radio. It's got excellent musicianship, meaningful lyrics (that are close to my heart, no pun intended), it really works on so many levels.

One of my very favorites Elton John songs. I saw him in concert at MSG in 1977 or 1978 and he did that song. I would have loved to have been able to play that piano intro myself.

• Like 1

Tears you apart, doesn't it? I know that feeling quite well.

• Like 1