The Official QUADROPHENIA Thread

Lorraine

It is so amazing how a piece of music like this can speak to me and to my life on so many levels

and has done so consistently over the years in oh so many ways. Brilliant, just brilliant.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/8a/Quadrophenia_(album).jpg

I know, only now it is sad that it still speaks to me. I find myself sardonically laughing at parts. Better that than cry. :)

This may, or may not, make any sense.

I recently listened to the Quadrophenia Director's Cut, (read all of Pete's notes about the album), the Quadrophenia sound track, the live show from London and watched the movie and a documentary about the album.

I was thinking about Jimmy (especially during the film) and came to the realization that, like Jimmy, I have become somewhat comfortable in how uncomfortable I feel most of the time.

It's about fitting in really (Or not fitting in). I've carried this social awkwardness for so long that I'm not certain I would know how to fit in.

It is much like that line in the Bob Dylan song, "Joey"...

"He was always on the outside of whatever side there was. When asked why it had to be that way, the answer was just because."

Is it me...

...for a moment?

I wonder, do most people feel like they don't fit in or is just a few unlucky ones? I always felt that way growing up and really still do, except I guess as you get older you don't care as much.

• Like 4

I'm always amazed every time I listen to this album that after forty years it sounds as fresh today as it did when it first came out. And as relevant.

There are a handful of albums that belong together in one special category - Quadrophenia is one of the ones that go there.

• Like 2

I always found it strange (and still do) that the album ends off key.

I kind of love that.

There are only a few select albums I can think of that are like that- where you think or expect that it will end in a certain way, on a certain note or chord- and then it's not what you expect at all. But after repeated listens, the oddity becomes the norm.

Listening to Quadrophenia today.

What do you all think of Pete as a guitarist? No one ever mentions him here when talk about guitar greats.

I think Pete did a great job as a guitarist... he played rhythm and lead... However, his antics (windmill arm, smashing guitar, etc) often overshadowed his being recognized for the music he was playing. In my mind, I think of him first as the songwriter/leader. There were also 2 superior musicians in the group (Moon and the Ox) that got acknowledged first when it came to playing ability. just my opinion.

• Like 1

What do you all think of Pete as a guitarist? No one ever mentions him here when talk about guitar greats.

I think Pete did a great job as a guitarist... he played rhythm and lead... However, his antics (windmill arm, smashing guitar, etc) often overshadowed his being recognized for the music he was playing. In my mind, I think of him first as the songwriter/leader. There were also 2 superior musicians in the group (Moon and the Ox) that got acknowledged first when it came to playing ability. just my opinion.

I bring him up because he's never included with guitar greats and it seems t me that he should be. The man was a musical genius. He not only wrote Quadrophenia, but Tommy too. And if I remember correctly, he played a lot of the other instruments on Quadrophenia as well.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

He is a great songwriter, arranger and rhythm guitarist but just kind of average as a soloist. But The Who was kind of set up that way. Pete played rhythm guitar, John played lead bass and Keith played the cacophony of drums. :)

• Like 1

Who is playing the guitar through Quadrophenia? I'm not trying to be purposely stupid here - you said he plays rhythm guitar, so who is playing the lead throughout the album?

I said he was good as a rhythm guitarist, not as a soloist. He's not known for the awesome guitar solos he does. He's known for playing a lot of chords. Like Alex is really good with his arpeggios, Pete is the same with chords.

• Like 1

Agreed. Pete is known for his power chords and flamingo style guitar ( Pinball Wizard, North Country Girl ). He's still my favorite all around guitarist ( lyrics, vocals, guitar ).

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/PeteT_sg_zpseced142d.jpg

Edited by custom55
  • Like 4

Agreed. Pete is known for his power chords and flamingo style guitar ( Pinball Wizard, North Country Girl ). He's still my favorite all around guitarist ( lyrics, vocals, guitar ).

http://i178.photobucket.com/albums/w276/custom55/PeteT_sg_zpseced142d.jpg

Great picture! And oh boy, I can't believe they've come out with those curly instrument cords again. Those things were a pain in the behind. :)

Is this the documentary Steevo told me about pages back? He said there was a documentary about the making of the album.

Aye, that be the one...be good to get your take on it :popcorn: Wonderful stuff. Nice share RGLT, could never find it! :ebert:

• Like 2

I still haven't gotten my hands on Who's Next, but Quadrophenia is their best album as far as I'm concerned.

I agree with you. Who's Next would be, for me, their second best.

Even Pete knew he could never top Quadrophenia.

For me, there aren't enough superlatives in existence to describe it.

• Like 2