The Official QUADROPHENIA Thread

Lorraine

I remember going to the theater to see The Kids Are Alright back when it came out.

Our local theatre used to do a double bill: Quadrophenia and The Kids are Alright. I think I went twenty times.

Wow!

Yes...

• Like 3

The Kids 'are' Alright. I've must have watch this part of the movie 50+ times. Love the tone of Pete's guitar. Great windmills too.

http://youtu.be/LyWSKmr0t8Q

I would give this post 1000 likes if I could... that's the Who at their peak, in my books...

Wasn't this from the Isle of Wight concert? That's a classic.

I was thinking if maybe his drumming sounded the way it did was because they upped the mic on it, or did he really smash them that hard?

I remember when I saw them at MSG. Moonie was something else, and it's hard to believe Pete was ever that young now. At the end of the concert, they went wild.

Those were the days. :)

When was this, Lorraine? I envy you seeing them with Moon.

The second leg of the Quadrophenia Tour in 1974. I'd have to go and check, but I think it was the very last concert of that second leg. They did a few nights at MSG. I wore the t-shirt to death. How I loved that album when it came out, but was so disappointed when they did the songs from it in concert. I'm sure with all of our technology today, if we had it in '74, they could have done it.

What I remember the most is when they did Won't Get Fooled Again, and Pete, with his guitar, did a somersault across the stage. :)

With his guitar?!?! Holy spit!!! Wow!! I am soo envious of you for having been able to see those shows.

Makes me wonder, in recent years we have gotten DVD's from The Who for the show at the Isle of Wright festival, their show at Kilburn (Moon's next to last show), and their show at The Summit in Houston TX on the Numbers tour. I wonder, how many other Who shows from their prime years were filmed and might be sitting in the Who's vaults?? Any chance of any shows from the Quadrophenia and / or Who's Next tours having been filmed and possibly getting released in the future??

Anybody know if any shows from those tours were filmed??

Yes, with his guitar, that's what made it so phenomenal and memorable. I never listen to Won't Get Fooled Again without remembering that moment and still seeing it in my mind.

I wonder if they have any filmed shows from that Quadrophenia tour yet to be released? Somehow I doubt it. I would think it would have been released already.

Not even Led Zeppelin has much from back in the day - a little from this show and some film from another.

Too bad for us.

Yes - too bad for us. I have been wondering more and more of late about film footage of live shows from The Who, Zep, early Rush and other groups.

That being said, after I posted last I ended my visit to my almost 90 year old parents and their dial up computer, went back to my apartment (and its total lack of internet - yes strange I know - got to get mine hooked up again) and started to look through my DVD collection and I found gold!! Well, not gold but almost the next best thing.

I found that I have a DVD titled "Soccer Rock - The Who live at Charlton FC". It starts out with an interview of Pete by the BBC and then a broadcast of part of The Who's show at Charlton FC.

The DVD mentions that the show was in 1974 so that would be the Quadrophenia tour. Plus the set list includes "Drowned" & "Bell Boy". I know "Drowned" was played on the following tour but "Bell Boy"? Got to believe that was Quadrophenia tour.

Lorraine, do you remember the playing "Bell Boy"?

The DVD is not in the best of shape - all sorts of skips and it freezes up at some points. Also it clearly does not include the entire concert. Its only about 45 minute to 1 hour long. Plus no "Wont get Fooled Again". But their is cool blues version of "My Generation". Lorraine, do you remember them doing sort a blues version of "My Generation"?

This had to be based on the BBC filming the show. So, what about the rest of it?? Did they film the rest of it?? Does the BBC still have the original tapes and are they in decent shape?? Probably not, but lets hope. Keep in mind that The Who just released the Shea Stadium show from 1982 so perhaps their is some stuff laying around.

I will try to right down the entire set list off the DVD and post it here next weekend (assuming I am visiting my parents again - which is likely).

• Like 1

The DVD mentions that the show was in 1974 so that would be the Quadrophenia tour. Plus the set list includes "Drowned" & "Bell Boy". I know "Drowned" was played on the following tour but "Bell Boy"? Got to believe that was Quadrophenia tour.

Lorraine, do you remember the playing "Bell Boy"?

The DVD is not in the best of shape - all sorts of skips and it freezes up at some points. Also it clearly does not include the entire concert. Its only about 45 minute to 1 hour long. Plus no "Wont get Fooled Again". But their is cool blues version of "My Generation". Lorraine, do you remember them doing sort a blues version of "My Generation"?

Accountant, I remember two things from the show. The one I was at was the last of the tour at MSG in '74, so it was a long time ago and, had I known I would find details of the show helpful forty years later, I would have written everything down when I got home after it. But, I didn't, so I can only tell you what I do remember.

1. Being extremely disappointed how poorly the Quadrophenia songs translated when done in concert. Which is to say, they hardly sounded the same at all, and that was always my major disappointment with any band I saw back then. I don't remember them specifically doing any one song from the album. I only remember my deep disappointment in how they did them.

2. Won't Get Fooled Again is the only specific of the show I do remember because Pete did a flip with his guitar across the stage towards the end of it.

The Kids 'are' Alright. I've must have watch this part of the movie 50+ times. Love the tone of Pete's guitar. Great windmills too.

I would give this post 1000 likes if I could... that's the Who at their peak, in my books...

Young Man Blues from the Ilse if Wight is a classic for sure but this clip is from the London Coliseum show in 1969. A few years back a double DVD was release by The Who called: The Who at Kilburn (1977). There was a bonus DVD with from the 1969 Coliseum show. My video post if from that show... A must have DVD!!!

Ge

Edited by custom55

Young Man Blues from the Ilse if Wight is a classic for sure but this clip is from the London Coliseum show in 1969. A few years back a double DVD was release by The Who called: The Who at Kilburn (1977). There was a bonus DVD with from the 1969 Coliseum show. My video post if from that show... A must have DVD!!!

Ge

I have that. I watched it once. Maybe I should dig it out and watch it again.

:musicnote: I see her dance across the ballroom

UV lights making starshine of her smile

I am the face

She has to know me

I'm dressed up better than anyone within a mile

Oh yeahhhhhhhh

So how come the other tickets look much better?

Without a penny to spend, they're dressed to the letter... :musicnote:

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

That piano throughout The Rock playing mostly the continuous same notes gets me every time. My favorite instrumental on the album. I love the anger and fierceness of it always seemingly being tempered but never being successful.

Picked up things this time listening to the album that I don't recall hearing before. The album has withstood the test of time and will always be new.

It sounded today for some reason better than ever to me.

I've had that happen with songs before. Especially if you haven't heard them in a while.

I need to own this album. Tired of knowing it from the library but only being able to access it over wifi.

Wish granted. I bought it over the weekend on the iTunes Store with the cash I had left over from finally purchasing Innuendo since it was at the unbelievable price of about six bucks (wow!). Still sounds impeccable, still holds my attention all the way through, still has the glorious hooks and recurrent themes, still tells a captivating and haunting mod story, still my favorite double album ever, still the only double album I've heard that fully satisfies me, still my favorite record by The Who (though I must admit I've yet to hear Who's Next, as I really want to get it on vinyl when I get it). 11/10, better than some really great albums by my favorite bands.

• Like 1

I need to own this album. Tired of knowing it from the library but only being able to access it over wifi.

Wish granted. I bought it over the weekend on the iTunes Store with the cash I had left over from finally purchasing Innuendo since it was at the unbelievable price of about six bucks (wow!). Still sounds impeccable, still holds my attention all the way through, still has the glorious hooks and recurrent themes, still tells a captivating and haunting mod story, still my favorite double album ever, still the only double album I've heard that fully satisfies me, still my favorite record by The Who (though I must admit I've yet to hear Who's Next, as I really want to get it on vinyl when I get it). 11/10, better than some really great albums by my favorite bands.

You are so right. I listened to it yesterday and heard things I never heard before.

It's still an absolutely glorious album that never stops affecting me every time I listen to it. And since 1973, I have no idea exactly how many times that has been.

When it is finished, I am always left thinking: how in the heck did Pete write this???

To me, the man is a musical genius.

You must get Who's Next! :) That album and Quadrophenia are the best (in my opinion) The Who ever did.

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 3

I remember back in the day, imust have bought at least 6 8 track tapes of this. My player in my Datsun 240 z, kept eating them(lol), Man those were the days. Truly superb recording!!!!!!

I have to laugh remembering trying to get the 8-tracks that were stuck, out of the players. No easy task, and all you had for your efforts at the end was a mass of mangled tape. :LOL:

I had a portable 8-track player that I would bring down to the ocean and sit on the sand and listen to Quadrophenia. Now, THAT was some experience. :)

• Like 3