The Official QUADROPHENIA Thread

Lorraine

In 2013 I was on holiday in England to see 2 Rush shows. I had rented a car, and on the day off, between the Manchester and London show, I drove down to Brighton to stay for the night. Ever since I am a clever (bell) boy, ;) I made a wise decision in advance and brought the Quadrophenia CD with me. :cool:

One of the best albums ever created by any humans, :smoke: played in the car, at that very moment when you enter Brighton, totally surreal and too much for me. Honestly folks, the energy and the music overran me so heavily that I cried, when I saw that Pier and the beach for the first time.

Holy shite, what an overwhelming, lovely afternoon this was! :hail:

That must have been some experience. I can only imagine.

That's a good way to put it - the music overruns you so heavily. There's always so much I want to be able to say when I am done listening to the album, but words always fail me. Sometimes I think Love Reign O'er Me is anti-climactic because for me The Rock is my life done instrumentally in six minutes, but those last sixty seconds or so of LROM kill me every time. This discordance of the music at the end sums everything up.

I know what you mean. The album always gets me emotionally as soon as I start to play it. The range of my feelings can instantly go from excessively enthusiastic to deeply grieved within a few minutes. It's always an emotional rollercoaster ride, but a wonderful piece of music at the same time. Hell, this album is indispensable...I love it.

• Like 2

I can't watch that video but I did read the notes. How could they turn their back on an album like this for thirty years?

In his home studio and revisiting old haunts in Shepherds Bush and Battersea, Pete Townshend opens his heart and his personal archive to revisit 'the last great album the Who ever made', one that took the Who full circle back to their earliest days via the adventures of a pill-popping mod on an epic journey of self-discovery.

But in 1973 Quadrophenia was an album that almost never was. Beset by money problems, a studio in construction, heroin-taking managers, a lunatic drummer and a culture of heavy drinking, Townshend took on an album that nearly broke him and one that within a year the band had turned their back on and would ignore for nearly three decades.

Edited by Lorraine

For those of you who would know, did/do you consider Keith Moon a good drummer? I like him because he really smashed down on those drums. :)

He was ABSOLUTELY PERFECT for The Who, don't let anyone tell you different. So in that context he was amaaaazing. Just like the partnership between Pagey and Bonzo, so it was for Pete and Moonie, the best.

• Like 4

For those of you who would know, did/do you consider Keith Moon a good drummer? I like him because he really smashed down on those drums. :)

Moonie was phenomenal! One of the best rock drummers ever.

• Like 3

Yes, very much so. He was kind of a sloppy player to watch, but it was a different story to listen to. He was very individualistic. He hit some unusual beats that drummers are still struggling to master.

• Like 3

As I said, I love the way he hit those drums so hard, but I'm sure a lot of that tension and energy came from his own inner demons.

My husband and I were talking a lot about music yesterday, and I said to him that I think someone like Pete and some other old rockers, if they had lived hundreds of years ago, would have created masterpieces like Back and Mozart and Beethoven. I also think that they were (are) such creative geniuses that it wreaks havoc with their mental state. Possessing no talent like that, I wouldn't know for sure, but I just thought to pose that opinion.

• Like 1

I was thinking if maybe his drumming sounded the way it did was because they upped the mic on it, or did he really smash them that hard?

I remember when I saw them at MSG. Moonie was something else, and it's hard to believe Pete was ever that young now. At the end of the concert, they went wild.

Those were the days. :)

• Like 2

As I said, I love the way he hit those drums so hard, but I'm sure a lot of that tension and energy came from his own inner demons.

My husband and I were talking a lot about music yesterday, and I said to him that I think someone like Pete and some other old rockers, if they had lived hundreds of years ago, would have created masterpieces like Back and Mozart and Beethoven. I also think that they were (are) such creative geniuses that it wreaks havoc with their mental state. Possessing no talent like that, I wouldn't know for sure, but I just thought to pose that opinion.

I won't be here in 200 years but I'd bet a couple of beers that some scruffy geezers will listen to The Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd etc even in 2215 AD. we should place our vinyls in a time capsule for them.

• Like 1

I won't be here in 200 years but I'd bet a couple of beers that some scruffy geezers will listen to The Beatles, The Who, Pink Floyd etc even in 2215 AD. we should place our vinyls in a time capsule for them.

That's a good idea, and maybe we can get Custom to put all of his ticket stubs in the time capsule too along with our vinyls.

I was thinking if maybe his drumming sounded the way it did was because they upped the mic on it, or did he really smash them that hard?

I remember when I saw them at MSG. Moonie was something else, and it's hard to believe Pete was ever that young now. At the end of the concert, they went wild.

When was this, Lorraine? I envy you seeing them with Moon.

• Like 1

The second leg of the Quadrophenia Tour in 1974. I'd have to go and check, but I think it was the very last concert of that second leg. They did a few nights at MSG. I wore the t-shirt to death. How I loved that album when it came out, but was so disappointed when they did the songs from it in concert. I'm sure with all of our technology today, if we had it in '74, they could have done it.

What I remember the most is when they did Won't Get Fooled Again, and Pete, with his guitar, did a somersault across the stage. :)

• Like 3

Listening to the MFSL Gold CD version of Quadrophenia right now...just amazing! I know they are getting harder and harder to find, but it is worth every hard earned penny!

I saw you post that in the albums thread, and I thought to myself how long it has been since I've seen one!

Edited by Blue J
  • Like 1

Listening to the MFSL Gold CD version of Quadrophenia right now...just amazing! I know they are getting harder and harder to find, but it is worth every hard earned penny!

I saw you post that in the albums thread, and I thought to myself how it has been since I've seen one!

It is a rare gem.

I told my girl that if I get hit by a bus that she needs to put it up on eBay.

It might be the best sounding version to these ears.

I saw you post that in the albums thread, and I thought to myself how it has been since I've seen one!

It is a rare gem.

I got a Quadrophenia MFSL copy too and I told my wife I want to be buried with that in the coffin.

But I guess she would keep it in the house for listening!

• Like 1

It is a rare gem.

I've never seen this. Will keep a lookout now, thanks!

The second leg of the Quadrophenia Tour in 1974. I'd have to go and check, but I think it was the very last concert of that second leg. They did a few nights at MSG. I wore the t-shirt to death. How I loved that album when it came out, but was so disappointed when they did the songs from it in concert. I'm sure with all of our technology today, if we had it in '74, they could have done it.

What I remember the most is when they did Won't Get Fooled Again, and Pete, with his guitar, did a somersault across the stage. :)

With his guitar?!?! Holy spit!!! Wow!! I am soo envious of you for having been able to see those shows.

Makes me wonder, in recent years we have gotten DVD's from The Who for the show at the Isle of Wright festival, their show at Kilburn (Moon's next to last show), and their show at The Summit in Houston TX on the Numbers tour. I wonder, how many other Who shows from their prime years were filmed and might be sitting in the Who's vaults?? Any chance of any shows from the Quadrophenia and / or Who's Next tours having been filmed and possibly getting released in the future??

Anybody know if any shows from those tours were filmed??

• Like 1

With his guitar?!?! Holy spit!!! Wow!! I am soo envious of you for having been able to see those shows.

Makes me wonder, in recent years we have gotten DVD's from The Who for the show at the Isle of Wright festival, their show at Kilburn (Moon's next to last show), and their show at The Summit in Houston TX on the Numbers tour. I wonder, how many other Who shows from their prime years were filmed and might be sitting in the Who's vaults?? Any chance of any shows from the Quadrophenia and / or Who's Next tours having been filmed and possibly getting released in the future??

Anybody know if any shows from those tours were filmed??

Yes, with his guitar, that's what made it so phenomenal and memorable. I never listen to Won't Get Fooled Again without remembering that moment and still seeing it in my mind.

I wonder if they have any filmed shows from that Quadrophenia tour yet to be released? Somehow I doubt it. I would think it would have been released already.

Not even Led Zeppelin has much from back in the day - a little from this show and some film from another.

Too bad for us.

• Like 1

I remember going to the theater to see The Kids Are Alright back when it came out.

Same here. Often. Many times. My friend and I would stay twice each time. I have the DVD now.

"The Kids Are Alright" was one of my first music VHS tapes when I got my first VCR (which weighed about 400 lbs), along with "The Song Remains the Same", "Help", "Hard Days Night" and "The Wall".

I would just watch it (and them) over and over and over.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 4