The Official QUADROPHENIA Thread

Lorraine

You know what I love too? Neil would have a fit the way Keith played the drums at the beginning of I've Had Enough, but I love them because you can hear Keith's anger and rage in them. If he could have pounded them harder, he would have.

Quadrophenia is easy in my top ten albums of all time. I love it. I'm not really sure what it is about that album but listening to the whole thing always makes me feel like traveling through time.

I'm one...

• Like 2

Where were you people forty years ago?

:LOL:

1974: I was in 7th grade.....held hostage in a Catholic elementary school, lucky to get my hands on a K-Tel record album (with two dozen edited pop hits), and spending most of my free time pretending I was Johnny Bench at the ball field down the street. Little did I know that The Who, Led Zeppelin, RUSH and many other magical artists were just a few years away.....waiting for me to come and be enlightened...... :notworthy: :D

:LOL: Well, I'm glad they let you out of the school. :LOL:

• Like 1

Quadrophenia is easy in my top ten albums of all time. I love it. I'm not really sure what it is about that album but listening to the whole thing always makes me feel like traveling through time.

I'm one...

I don't know what the answer is, the only thing I know is that from the first moment I heard it, I was hooked. For me, it was something great to say I liked every song on just a single album, let alone to like every song on a double album. I can't say the same for Tommy.

• Like 2

It's interesting but it's the only album I can think of where I want to listen to it from beginning to end. It's like a landscape of musical brushstrokes that you have to hear the whole thing to get the full effect. It always seems bizarre to pick a song out of the whole thing and play it separately.

As far as favorite songs for me I would have to say The Real Me, Bell Boy, 5:15, The Rock, and Love Reign O'er Me. Though I love the entire album.

• Like 3

GM, don't forget. I know this album means as much to you as it does to me.

Lorraine, I've been trying to write about Quadrophenia but I haven't yet been able to tone down the emotion to a postable level :LOL: I'll keep working on it ;)

• Like 2

Going to have to dig this album out again and listen to it. I haven't heard it for a couple of years now. I go through phases where I really get into it and play it all the time and then I'll go for long periods where I don't. It's just so intense. Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 2

GM, don't forget. I know this album means as much to you as it does to me.

Lorraine, I've been trying to write about Quadrophenia but I haven't yet been able to tone down the emotion to a postable level :LOL: I'll keep working on it ;)

Yes, I understand. There is much more I can say about the album and what it has meant to me, but I remind myself that this is the world wide web. If this forum was only for the eyes of the members, I would post more.

:musicnote: I see her dance across the ballroom

UV lights making starshine...... :musicnote:

Going to have to dig this album out again and listen to it. I haven't heard it for a couple of years now. I go through phases where I really get into it and play it all the time and then I'll go for long periods where I don't. It's just so intense.

I know exactly what you mean. I haven't listened to it in a couple of days because it emotionally drains on me, and I have been too tired for that.

• Like 1

Going to have to dig this album out again and listen to it. I haven't heard it for a couple of years now. I go through phases where I really get into it and play it all the time and then I'll go for long periods where I don't. It's just so intense.

I know exactly what you mean. I haven't listened to it in a couple of days because it emotionally drains on me, and I have been too tired for that.

I think you have to be in the right mental place to really take this album in. It reminds me a lot of my teenage years. It was a big part of the soundtrack of my life back then. It takes you on such an emotional journey. From confusion to fear to anger to resignation and acceptance.

• Like 2

I think you have to be in the right mental place to really take this album in. It reminds me a lot of my teenage years. It was a big part of the soundtrack of my life back then. It takes you on such an emotional journey. From confusion to fear to anger to resignation and acceptance.

Your post made my eyes fill with tears because you have articulated what I couldn't. Except for me, it was age 19 soon to be 20. Not sure if I have reached acceptance so much as resignation. As the old saying goes: No use crying over spilled milk.

• Like 1

Your post made my eyes fill with tears because you have articulated what I couldn't. Except for me, it was age 19 soon to be 20. Not sure if I have reached acceptance so much as resignation. As the old saying goes: No use crying over spilled milk.

Very much like the stages of grief but over a lifetime. I guess we all have to accept what life has dealt us.

• Like 2

Some great posts and observations everyone.

There is so much on this album and can be interpreted and related to on so many different levels.

I believe that there is so much emotion on this record.

The hesitation to respond to the OP is because it is such an overwhelming proposition.

In order to properly (and honestly) give one's thoughts on the impact of this album challenges the very areas where we are most vulnerable.

The very reason(s) that we can so relate to the message are the very same aspects of our lives that we keep well hidden from the world.

I am in the process of listening to Quadrophenia and will do my best to put my thoughts in some kind of logical order over the next few days.

• Like 2

Feel the confusion, the pain, the lust, the passion, the regrets, the rage, and ultimately, the LOVE that the young man felt roaring thru him every single day. His troubles with drugs, with "fitting in", and with his own emotions were manifested in every line of Townshend's uber-intimate lyrics and his magnificently orchestral rock music.

From the first sounds of the ocean to the last crashing notes of Love Reign O'er Me, we FEEL the storm raging inside him. Very, very few rock albums have made the audience experience such raw emotions. Quadrophenia may be the best of them all.

:haz: :haz: :haz:

Well said, my point exactly.

Very much like the stages of grief but over a lifetime. I guess we all have to accept what life has dealt us.

Wow, very well put EagleMoon

This is exactly why it is so difficult to talk about the impact of this album for me, as it has meant different things to me at different times.

I just watched the movie "Quadrophrenia" last night and it brought up a whole other side of the story.

• Like 2

I never thought of it from that perspective, but to describe the cycle of emotions that one goes through listening to Quadrophenia as being akin to the stages of grieving is incredibly apt.

It never made me feel emotionally drained in a negative way, though. I'd describe the feeling it gave me when I was young as being more like cleansed. As that last chord of "Love Reign O'er Me" faded away, I felt clean, and fortified to carry on. So much comfort I took from those magical black circles when I was 14 or so and would listen lying on my bed with my eyes closed, those big old Koss headphones anchoring my head to the pillow, feeling like I was held in the comforting arms of some ancient wisdom that truly understood the pain in my soul and wanted me to know that I could survive it.

Nowadays when I listen, I feel the continuity from the determined spirit I didn't know I had then, to the mental discipline I rely on now. Thirty-five years later, Quadrophenia still nurtures my emotional strength.

• Like 2

Some great posts and observations everyone.

There is so much on this album and can be interpreted and related to on so many different levels.

I believe that there is so much emotion on this record.

The hesitation to respond to the OP is because it is such an overwhelming proposition.

In order to properly (and honestly) give one's thoughts on the impact of this album challenges the very areas where we are most vulnerable.

The very reason(s) that we can so relate to the message are the very same aspects of our lives that we keep well hidden from the world.

I am in the process of listening to Quadrophenia and will do my best to put my thoughts in some kind of logical order over the next few days.

Don't you find that strange? I do. You are right. How the album has affected and continues to affect us is in areas that we would rather not expose.

• Like 1

Not much we can do about it at this point other than not to let it embitter us. I am glad I have been through so much because it has helped me help and understand others (when I am allowed to).

Edited by Lorraine
  • Like 1

I never thought of it from that perspective, but to describe the cycle of emotions that one goes through listening to Quadrophenia as being akin to the stages of grieving is incredibly apt.

It never made me feel emotionally drained in a negative way, though. I'd describe the feeling it gave me when I was young as being more like cleansed. As that last chord of "Love Reign O'er Me" faded away, I felt clean, and fortified to carry on. So much comfort I took from those magical black circles when I was 14 or so and would listen lying on my bed with my eyes closed, those big old Koss headphones anchoring my head to the pillow, feeling like I was held in the comforting arms of some ancient wisdom that truly understood the pain in my soul and wanted me to know that I could survive it.

Nowadays when I listen, I feel the continuity from the determined spirit I didn't know I had then, to the mental discipline I rely on now. Thirty-five years later, Quadrophenia still nurtures my emotional strength.

How well I can relate to that. Those awkward headphones! I wanted the music to completely envelop me.

I used to live near the ocean (which I miss terribly) and used to love to go down to the beach in the cold weather when no one was around. I would stand as close as I dared to the pounding ocean waves and think of this album. And cry.

How well I can relate to that. Those awkward headphones! I wanted the music to completely envelop me.

I used to live near the ocean (which I miss terribly) and used to love to go down to the beach in the cold weather when no one was around. I would stand as close as I dared to the pounding ocean waves and think of this album. And cry.

I can just feel what you are going through. I have lived by the ocean my whole life and can't imagine not living by it. While the beach in the summer is beautiful there is nothing like a deserted beach in lousy weather for being a place to collect your thoughts.The noise is so relaxing from the pounding of surf onto a sandy beach to the sucking noise that the water makes on the English stone beaches (as in Quad).

From your previous post...I believe that, while the good times are great to look back on, it is the bad times that build our character and make us smarter and stronger. Many of the posting on TRF have been from people who have been through or are going through bad times but I'm always impressed by the character and intelligence of the people on this forum (way higher than what I meet in everyday life). I'd rather overcome from not being born in Lotus-Land or having the cards stacked against me than slowly rot away from affluenza.

• Like 1

I've never lived near the ocean but I can imagine how someone would miss it if they had lived there. Sounds like a good place to escape to. I guess I always used the woods as my escape. Everyone should have somewhere they can go to feel a part of nature and let their minds go free.

• Like 3