States' "Favorite" Bands. Delaware?

sitboaf

I'm from Minnesota, and I've never even heard of Metric. Apparently the people who conducted this study have never heard of Bob Dylan or Prince.

Your loss. Seriously, check out Metric's latest record called Synthetica. It's a synth rock masterpiece. Just as good as the best records of Depeche Mode or Garbage. One of my fav records of the last decade.

I am in SC. and have never heard of "Hillsong United". I am originally from Miami and never heard of Rick Ross either.

In fact, there are only a couple bands listed that i have heard of.

I am in SC. and have never heard of "Hillsong United". I am originally from Miami and never heard of Rick Ross either.

Yeah, I think this study shows big spikes, which doesn't happen much with really popular bands, because it's hard to "improve" their numbers.

Ergo, it's more strange that Rush appears than some obscure band. Also, I'm slightly ashamed that my state really likes The Greatful Dead.

Yeah, I think this study shows big spikes, which doesn't happen much with really popular bands, because it's hard to "improve" their numbers.

Ergo, it's more strange that Rush appears than some obscure band. Also, I'm slightly ashamed that my state really likes The Greatful Dead.

I have always wanted to know what was so special about the Dead? They seem to have quite a following.

It seems those who like the Dead, hate Rush for some reason.

It also seems that those who like the Dead seem to like every band i don't really like.

My friend and neighbor is a big Dead fan and even has a picture of Garcia on his front door. But Rush to him is like Justin Bieber to me..

Exactly what is the Dead all about? It sounds like blue grass and country mixed up together on the few tunes i have listened to. Is it true they actually have no songs, but just get up on stage and jam for two hours and everyone goes nuts?

Maybe its just me, but I grow to love a song, the words and the music.

I have always wanted to know what was so special about the Dead? They seem to have quite a following.

It also seems that those who like the Dead seem to like every band i don't really like.

My friend and neighbor is a big Dead fan and even has a picture of Garcia on his front door. But Rush to him is like Justin Bieber to me..

Exactly what is the Dead all about? It sounds like blue grass and country mixed up together on the few tunes i have listened to. Is it true they actually have no songs, but just get up on stage and jam for two hours and everyone goes nuts?

I'm obviously a Rush fanatic. But I also in fact love the Dead. It can happen, LOL.

I'm obviously a Rush fanatic. But I also in fact love the Dead. It can happen, LOL.

Okay fair enough. Tell me about this "jam" band stuff. Do they actually have songs they have written, or do they just get up on stage and play whatever comes to mind?

How many albums do they have and are any of them studio recordings?

What is the genre? Rock?, Country rock? Bluegrass mixed with country and a few guitar riffs? And who is "Dick" The guy with the "picks"? How does he fit into the band?

I am asking as I have no idea as to why they are so popular and revered by so many people. I did not listen to them growing up. Is that why I "don't get it"?

Tel me what makes the Dead special and give me a song you know will change everything I have ever thought about them.

Thanks.

Okay fair enough. Tell me about this "jam" band stuff. Do they actually have songs they have written, or do they just get up on stage and play whatever comes to mind?

What is the genre? Rock?, Country rock? Bluegrass mixed with country and a few guitar riffs? And who is "Dick" The guy with the "picks"? How does he fit into the band?

I am asking as I have no idea as to why they are so popular and revered by so many people. I did not listen to them growing up. Is that why I "don't get it"?

Tel me what makes the Dead special and give me a song you know will change everything I have ever thought about them.

Thanks.

Coming from a guy who doesn't like the Dead, I think a lot of the appeal was the sense of community. Though, it's ironic that while they felt "different", every single Deadhead at my college (in New Hampshire) in the '80s smoked weed, wore tie-dye, had dirty hair and smelled of patchouli.

Another appeal was the live experience. From what I've been told, they had a couple hundred songs rehearsed at any given time, so you'd never know what you were going to hear at a concert. I admit that element of surprise is pretty fun.

But the appeal of Jam Bands generally eludes me, too. Most likely it was much more fun seeing them live than listening to a tape of a tape of a show from Bakersfield in 1978.

Or maybe it didn't matter cuz you were stoned.

I feel like I've done my part, through extensive googling and sharing the music of Rush through my tribute band.

Feeling pretty proud today!! :dweez:

I've done my part too. I've never been more proud to be a life-long Delawarean than when I saw this article! BTW, i caught your band at JB McGinnes this past Friday and you guys were fantabulous. I will be a regular at your shows moving forward, you can count on it!

Edited by Empty Mindless Spectre
  • Like 1

...And you call yourself a marijuana advocate. For shame

Thanks.

I'm not a Deadhead, and I did not grow up listening to them. I'm 37 and only just became a fan a few years ago. I warded off being a fan precisely because of the dancing bears, patchouli, hippie-dippie stereotype (which is honestly no more fair than the stereotypes people harbor about prog-rockers). The Grateful Dead were incredibly talented musicians who yes, wrote excellent songs and made 13 studio albums. Give American Beauty and Workingman's Dead a try. They are not "jam" albums. The longest song on either album is 5:41. Box of Rain, Friend of the Devil, Brokedown Palace... these are simply classic americana pop songs.

So many people are contemptuous toward the band, and I was too for a long time. Then I actually set the stereotypes aside and just listened to some albums and realized the contempt was silly. They are part of a coming of age experience for a certain brand of high school student who also typically likes Pink Floyd. Although I didn't, I would rather have been friends with those dudes than the jocks listening to Vanilla Ice one day and Metallica the next. But I had few friends. I was a strange quiet Rush fan. But I digress...

I adore The Black Crowes, love the Allman Brothers, and greatly appreciate the Grateful Dead, but otherwise go nowhere near anything that could be remotely construed as "jam" music. Those bands, however, deserve just as much of a subjective chance as bands in any other genre. Good stuff.

Edited by Powderfinger

Thanks.

Coming from a guy who doesn't like the Dead, I think a lot of the appeal was the sense of community. Though, it's ironic that while they felt "different", every single Deadhead at my college (in New Hampshire) in the '80s smoked weed, wore tie-dye, had dirty hair and smelled of patchouli.

Another appeal was the live experience. From what I've been told, they had a couple hundred songs rehearsed at any given time, so you'd never know what you were going to hear at a concert. I admit that element of surprise is pretty fun.

But the appeal of Jam Bands generally eludes me, too. Most likely it was much more fun seeing them live than listening to a tape of a tape of a show from Bakersfield in 1978.

Rush has legions of fans who like to smoke weed. At one point they could have been identified as a "weed band." Someone might just as easily dismiss a Rush fan who digs a tape of a tape of a show from Cleveland in 1978.

Thanks.

Rush has legions of fans who like to smoke weed. At one point they could have been identified as a "weed band." Someone might just as easily dismiss a Rush fan who digs a tape of a tape of a show from Cleveland in 1978.

Fair enough. Back in those days, people smoked weed to every band. I'm not knocking it at all, even though it's not my cup of tea. My favorite band is the Moody Blues, after all!

Also for the record, *I* will be dismissive when a Rush fan makes a tape of a tape from a show from Cleveland in 1978. Chasing down every last, poor-sounding bootlegs seems like a colossal waste of time to me. I still can't bring myself to buy Rush in Rio because of the lousy sound quality.

Edited by sitboaf
  • Like 1

I feel like I've done my part, through extensive googling and sharing the music of Rush through my tribute band.

Feeling pretty proud today!! :dweez:

I've done my part too. I've never been more proud to be a life-long Delawarean than when I saw this article! BTW, i caught your band at JB McGinnes this past Friday and you guys were fantabulous. I will be a regular at your shows moving forward, you can count on it!

Thank you! Small world. I'm still trying to figure out the whole rat thing. Have I missed something? :huh:

Edited by KennyLee

Also for the record, *I* will be dismissive when a Rush fan makes a tape of a tape from a show from Cleveland in 1978. Chasing down every last, poor-sounding bootlegs seems like a colossal waste of time to me. I still can't bring myself to buy Rush in Rio because of the lousy sound quality.

Silly boy. Rush didn't play Cleveland in 1978. That tape is from Feb 3, 1979. 1st generation from the master, and the sound is pretty darn good for a Hemispheres-era audience source.

:laughing guy:

• Like 1

I love Rush In Rio. The energy of that crowd is 60,000 (guessing) people experiencing their first Rush concert at the same time. THERE is where the beauty of that recording is.
  • Like 1

I'm sorry, I am ignorant of geography, but one of the states says Bastille. Is this the UK band? If it is I am very impressed, as I had no idea they had a US fanbase. I love them!

Not much metal...and is Kelly Rowland really a big deal to anybody, anywhere?

I love Rush In Rio. The energy of that crowd is 60,000 (guessing) people experiencing their first Rush concert at the same time. THERE is where the beauty of that recording is.

I wholeheartedly agree. They way the crowd "sings" along with YYZ is pretty magical… it gave me goosebumps the first few times I watched it.

Hillsong United is a Christian worship band. I'm guessing they would not be a personal favorite for you if you heard them.

I wonder how many people look at that map and have the same experience I did: "Who the hell is Juicy J?" With a name like that I am not even bothering to look it up. My guess is some rapper from Memphis.

(Ok, now I have to look it up)

From Wikipedia: Jordan Michael Houston, better known by his stage name Juicy J, is an American rapper, songwriter and record producer from Memphis, Tennessee. He is a founding member of the Southern hip hop group Three 6 Mafia, established in 1991.

Ok, the name gave it away and I have actually heard of Three 6 Mafia. Curiosity satisfied. Time wasted.