Twelve Albums That Changed Your Life

GeddysMullet

While it is nearly impossible to narrow this list down to twelve, here goes...

The Beach Boys – Pet Sounds - My sister came home from college and gave me her copy of this album (much like the brother and sister in "Almost Famous") and said, "Listen to this. I mean, really listen to this." I was well on my way to being fully addicted to rock and roll. I put the album on and my big ol' head phones and listened to it about three or four times start to finish. I didn't know music could make a person feel that way or sum up how you felt about the world around you. To me, this is the very best album ever produced by any artist or band in music history.

The Beatles – Magical Mystery Tour - While it was me Mum's copy of "The Early Beatles" and that started my lifelong love of The Beatles, it was this album that was among the first LPs I ever purchased on my own. I remember getting home, going to my room and putting it on the stereo and taking the booklet apart and putting the pictures all over my wall. This is one of those perfect albums and it truly changed my life.

Johnny Cash – At Folsom Prison - My uncle had this album and every time we'd go to his house to visit I would play it over and over. On one such occasion, he said, "Why don't you take that record home with you?" My uncle was a very tough biker and I really looked up to him. He was much like a father figure in my life as it was just me Mum rasing my sisters and I. It was the first random act of generosity that I can recall and the album became an instant prize possession. I cannot even count how many times I have listened to this album over the years.

Cheap Trick – Heaven Tonight - I've always said that Cheap Trick was a band all of my own. Up until that point all music was a hand me down of sorts, The Beatles, Roy Orbison & Dylan from me Mum and all of the classic rockers from my older sister. When Cheap Trick burst on the scene, they were my band...I was so in love with this album then, and still am to this day. The album just spoke to where I was at that point in my young life.

Alice Cooper – School’s Out - One of the first albums that I purchased with my own money. I was 9 years old and bought the album because I had (and still have) the 45rpm single and just had to hear more! It is where my lifelong love affair with the music of Alice Cooper began.

Bob Dylan – Shot of Love - This album is just perfect. It is raw emotion put down on vinyl. I really wasn't going to fit in with the praise and worship crowd, but I really felt the strong call of God to draw near to Him. There is a song on the album entitled, "Property of Jesus" that has the line in it, "Laugh at him behind his back, just like the others do. Remind him of what he used to be when he comes walking though". I was walking the tightrope of a life of faith and the party life. I thought the song summed it up perfectly; I belonged to Jesus and didn't really care what anyone thought of it.

Genesis – A Trick of the Tail - I heard this album at a party when I was 14 years old. I had never heard anything like that before in my life. It was 1977 and my main interest in music was Kiss, Queen, Aerosmith, Rush, Zeppelin, etc. I went out the very next day and got this record and was just blown away by the storytelling.

Kiss – Destroyer - All I can say are, "you had to be there". When this album came out I was just hooked. Another one of "my bands" it was loud, it was fun and it took the world, including my world, by storm. This is just a perfect little rock and roll record. I was mesmerized by the music, the cover, the whole deal...then I saw them live on the "Spirit of '76 Tour", that was all she wrote.

Queen – Sheer Heart Attack - My friend and I rode our bikes up to Spectrum records on the campus of Syracuse University. I bought this album mainly because "Killer Queen" was a big hit on the radio at the time. It was a lot of music for my little 11 year old brain to handle...but handle it I did. From the very opening carnival sounds of "Brighton Rock" I was just hooked. I have been a huge fan of Queen's music ever since.

Rush – A Farewell to Kings - My friend John and I skipped school and hitch hiked to Shoppingtown Mall, mainly to meet girls and get into some trouble. We were at the record store and these two, rather pretty girls were looking at what I know now, was the new Rush album. My friend John says, "Man, their singer sounds like a girl!" I happened to be a bit taken with one of the two girls looking at the Rush album, so I bought it. That pretty girl and I kissed for a little while behind the mall and my friend and I went home and listened to this album. That is where my musical journey with Rush began. We went to see Rush on the "Farewell to Kings Tour" and that was pretty much it. Best $6.99 I ever spent.

Bruce Springsteen – Darkness of the Edge of Town - It was the summer of 1978. I was 15 years old and crazy for two things...girls and music. This album was the soundtrack for both of these loves. It was a new, fresh sound and really spoke to my working class childhood surroundings. My friend Michael and I took the bus downtown to meet these two girls we had met while working at a summer camp to see Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band on that tour. We had a great time, one of the girls parents picked them up and we walked home singing Bruce songs at the top of our lungs while drinking Old Vienna Splits we talked some guy into buying for us, because we were too young to buy beer. It was the most amazing time to grow up and we had the most amazing music as our soundtrack.

The Who – Quadrophenia - We used to hang in my friend Tom's older brother's attic room to get, well, to get, hmm, well, you know. So, we'd play his brothers records. We put this album on one day, which was far more sophisticated than any of us could have realized, but just had a great sound. I read the album liner and looked at the pictures while listening and all I can say is "something just clicked". I just loved this record. I asked me Mum if she would buy it for me for Christmas that year. "It's a two record set, so you don't have to get me anything else, ok?!” I bargained. Over the years the album has meant so much to me for many different reasons. This from the liner notes, "A tough guy, a helpless dancer. A romantic, is it me for a moment? A bloody lunatic, I'll even carry your bags. A beggar, a hypocrite, love reign over me. Schizophrenic? I'm Bleeding Quadrophenic." I sure didn't know what all of that meant during that first listen all those years ago...but I certainly do now.

Edited by ReGorLaTroy
  • Like 7

Rush – A Farewell to Kings - My friend John and I skipped school and hitch hiked to Shoppingtown Mall, mainly to meet girls and get into some trouble. We were at the record store and these two, rather pretty girls were looking at what I know now, was the new Rush album. My friend John says, "Man, their singer sounds like a girl!" I happened to be a bit taken with one of the two girls looking at the Rush album, so I bought it. That pretty girl and I kissed for a little while behind the mall and my friend and I went home and listened to this album. That is where my musical journey with Rush began. We went to see Rush on the "Farewell to Kings Tour" and that was pretty much it. Best $6.99 I ever spent.

That's a great story!

Big Country The Crossing -- if you love guitar albums this is a must. Johnny Marr said of Radiohead after OK Computer, "With Radiohead, you can never have too many guitars"; the same could be said of Big Country following this album. Don't be misled by the album's sunny single (In a Big Country); this is a somber, complex album with some prog thrown in (I thought it a Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn with lyrics put to a heavy guitar track at the time).

I think it was unfortunate that "In A Big Country" became the popular song as it's the only song of theirs most people know. And not only is it not very good, it's also a bit different than the rest of the album. Other than that song this is a really great album.

Tones on Tail The Album Pop -- if you've never heard this album check out Twist and Rain; they're just sick

"Rain" is beautiful. It's a bit gloomy without being sad, just like a rainy day.

Completely agree about "In a Big Country". I didn't like the song from the first time I heard it and I still skip it (reminded me of "Whisper to a Scream" by Icicle Works" -- too earnest); luckily I was exposed to the rest of the album anyway, which has, as you mention, a different feel to it.

I love "In a Big Country"! It's a wonderful song. Yes, the rest of The Crossing is much better, but I still think its a fun song. CHA!!!!

I'll see your CHA!!!! and raise you a HEE-YA! HAH! CHA!!!! :D

Also: XTC's Black Sea! I couldn't call it a life-changer, but to this day it's one of my favourite albums, an all-time essential along with the not-as-cohesive-but-still-greatly-loved Drums And Wires.

Funny, I thought about raising his "Chah" with an e-bow-ish "Dee-do-do-dee-do, dee-dodolee-do..." too but figured the joke would be too obscure. I shouldn't say that I dislike "In a Big Country"; I just think it sounds like a self-consciously ambitious single tacked on to an otherwise instrospective and moody album (that is, out of place). I should also add to my list that the Wonderland EP is amazing; I really think of The Crossing and Wonderland as part of a whole (I know "Angle Park" was recorded with The Crossing, and I think "The Crossing" was as well).

If the list had been like 15 albums, Black Sea would have definitely made it. From "Rocket in a Bottle" to "Travels in Nihilon" just so fantastic. English Settlement was the critical darling, but Black Sea has always been my favorite of their older stuff (Apple Venus and Dark Star, seen as a double album, is up there with it).

I used to summer at m,y grandfather's, where it was fishing by day, cards and Cash by night. Johnny's music takes me back whenever I hear it.
  • Like 1

Big Country The Crossing -- if you love guitar albums this is a must. Johnny Marr said of Radiohead after OK Computer, "With Radiohead, you can never have too many guitars"; the same could be said of Big Country following this album. Don't be misled by the album's sunny single (In a Big Country); this is a somber, complex album with some prog thrown in (I thought it a Mike Oldfield's Ommadawn with lyrics put to a heavy guitar track at the time).

I think it was unfortunate that "In A Big Country" became the popular song as it's the only song of theirs most people know. And not only is it not very good, it's also a bit different than the rest of the album. Other than that song this is a really great album.

Tones on Tail The Album Pop -- if you've never heard this album check out Twist and Rain; they're just sick

"Rain" is beautiful. It's a bit gloomy without being sad, just like a rainy day.

Completely agree about "In a Big Country". I didn't like the song from the first time I heard it and I still skip it (reminded me of "Whisper to a Scream" by Icicle Works" -- too earnest); luckily I was exposed to the rest of the album anyway, which has, as you mention, a different feel to it.

I love "In a Big Country"! It's a wonderful song. Yes, the rest of The Crossing is much better, but I still think its a fun song. CHA!!!!

I'll see your CHA!!!! and raise you a HEE-YA! HAH! CHA!!!! :D

Also: XTC's Black Sea! I couldn't call it a life-changer, but to this day it's one of my favourite albums, an all-time essential along with the not-as-cohesive-but-still-greatly-loved Drums And Wires.

Funny, I thought about raising his "Chah" with an e-bow-ish "Dee-do-do-dee-do, dee-dodolee-do..." too but figured the joke would be too obscure. I shouldn't say that I dislike "In a Big Country"; I just think it sounds like a self-consciously ambitious single tacked on to an otherwise instrospective and moody album (that is, out of place). I should also add to my list that the Wonderland EP is amazing; I really think of The Crossing and Wonderland as part of a whole (I know "Angle Park" was recorded with The Crossing, and I think "The Crossing" was as well).

If the list had been like 15 albums, Black Sea would have definitely made it. From "Rocket in a Bottle" to "Travels in Nihilon" just so fantastic. English Settlement was the critical darling, but Black Sea has always been my favorite of their older stuff (Apple Venus and Dark Star, seen as a double album, is up there with it).

:rfl:

I would have gotten that joke, and I would have laughed SO hard! Just the fact that you thought of it made me chuckle :yes:

I don't care about music quite that much.

Too bad for you, man! :cheers:

Changed your life? Seriously? How did all this music change your life?

I cannot think of one decision I have made or thought process that I have changed based on music.

Oh well.

Here is my introduction for this list, which I originally composed in response to a thread on another forum titled "12 Books That Changed Your Life."

I read a lot, and there are many books that I love, but I can't think of very many individual books that I could honestly say changed my life. I could probably list 12 favourites, but that's different, isn't it? Record albums are a different story. Although I'm not a musician and in fact haven't got a scrap of musical talent, for some reason it's always been music that had a life-changing influence on me. Music has always been what has inspired me to create, has made me curious about life and people, and has driven me to try to better myself. I can't explain exactly how or why, but I can certainly pinpoint albums that have been particularly significant to me:

I understand that you cannot relate to the concept of music being life-changing, and that's fair enough. I hope this helps explain why others feel differently.

• Like 1

I cannot think of one decision I have made or thought process that I have changed based on music.

Oh well.

you realize you're posting on this board because of music, right? have you spent a lot of money over the years because of music? maybe grown your hair a certain way or bought a t-shirt with a band's name on it? ever been to a concert and spent money and time at said concert?

Oh well.

Man i really love music. When I say it changed my life. I mostly mean my perception on music. And what could be done with it. So changed my life MUSICALLY? yes.

Mick

Oh well.

you realize you're posting on this board because of music, right? have you spent a lot of money over the years because of music? maybe grown your hair a certain way or bought a t-shirt with a band's name on it? ever been to a concert and spent money and time at said concert?

I don't post here because of the music. In fact he fan boy nature of this forum has turned me sour on said music. Buying a t-shirt, attending a concert or growing my hair are hardly life changing events.

Oh well.

Man i really love music. When I say it changed my life. I mostly mean my perception on music. And what could be done with it. So changed my life MUSICALLY? yes.

Mick

I suppose if you are a musician then it would make more sense.
  • Like 1

While it is nearly impossible to narrow this list down to twelve, here goes...

The Beach Boys – Pet Sounds - My sister came home from college and gave me her copy of this album (much like the brother and sister in "Almost Famous") and said, "Listen to this. I mean, really listen to this." I was well on my way to being fully addicted to rock and roll. I put the album on and my big ol' head phones and listened to it about three or four times start to finish. I didn't know music could make a person feel that way or sum up how you felt about the world around you. To me, this is the very best album ever produced by any artist or band in music history.

The Beatles – Magical Mystery Tour - While it was me Mum's copy of "The Early Beatles" and that started my lifelong love of The Beatles, it was this album that was among the first LPs I ever purchased on my own. I remember getting home, going to my room and putting it on the stereo and taking the booklet apart and putting the pictures all over my wall. This is one of those perfect albums and it truly changed my life.

Johnny Cash – At Folsom Prison - My uncle had this album and every time we'd go to his house to visit I would play it over and over. On one such occasion, he said, "Why don't you take that record home with you?" My uncle was a very tough biker and I really looked up to him. He was much like a father figure in my life as it was just me Mum rasing my sisters and I. It was the first random act of generosity that I can recall and the album became an instant prize possession. I cannot even count how many times I have listened to this album over the years.

Cheap Trick – Heaven Tonight - I've always said that Cheap Trick was a band all of my own. Up until that point all music was a hand me down of sorts, The Beatles, Roy Orbison & Dylan from me Mum and all of the classic rockers from my older sister. When Cheap Trick burst on the scene, they were my band...I was so in love with this album then, and still am to this day. The album just spoke to where I was at that point in my young life.

Alice Cooper – School’s Out - One of the first albums that I purchased with my own money. I was 9 years old and bought the album because I had (and still have) the 45rpm single and just had to hear more! It is where my lifelong love affair with the music of Alice Cooper began.

Bob Dylan – Shot of Love - This album is just perfect. It is raw emotion put down on vinyl. I really wasn't going to fit in with the praise and worship crowd, but I really felt the strong call of God to draw near to Him. There is a song on the album entitled, "Property of Jesus" that has the line in it, "Laugh at him behind his back, just like the others do. Remind him of what he used to be when he comes walking though". I was walking the tightrope of a life of faith and the party life. I thought the song summed it up perfectly; I belonged to Jesus and didn't really care what anyone thought of it.

Genesis – A Trick of the Tail - I heard this album at a party when I was 14 years old. I had never heard anything like that before in my life. It was 1977 and my main interest in music was Kiss, Queen, Aerosmith, Rush, Zeppelin, etc. I went out the very next day and got this record and was just blown away by the storytelling.

Kiss – Destroyer - All I can say are, "you had to be there". When this album came out I was just hooked. Another one of "my bands" it was loud, it was fun and it took the world, including my world, by storm. This is just a perfect little rock and roll record. I was mesmerized by the music, the cover, the whole deal...then I saw them live on the "Spirit of '76 Tour", that was all she wrote.

Queen – Sheer Heart Attack - My friend and I rode our bikes up to Spectrum records on the campus of Syracuse University. I bought this album mainly because "Killer Queen" was a big hit on the radio at the time. It was a lot of music for my little 11 year old brain to handle...but handle it I did. From the very opening carnival sounds of "Brighton Rock" I was just hooked. I have been a huge fan of Queen's music ever since.

Bruce Springsteen – Darkness of the Edge of Town - It was the summer of 1978. I was 15 years old and crazy for two things...girls and music. This album was the soundtrack for both of these loves. It was a new, fresh sound and really spoke to my working class childhood surroundings. My friend Michael and I took the bus downtown to meet these two girls we had met while working at a summer camp to see Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band on that tour. We had a great time, one of the girls parents picked them up and we walked home singing Bruce songs at the top of our lungs while drinking Old Vienna Splits we talked some guy into buying for us, because we were too young to buy beer. It was the most amazing time to grow up and we had the most amazing music as our soundtrack.

The Who – Quadrophenia - We used to hang in my friend Tom's older brother's attic room to get, well, to get, hmm, well, you know. So, we'd play his brothers records. We put this album on one day, which was far more sophisticated than any of us could have realized, but just had a great sound. I read the album liner and looked at the pictures while listening and all I can say is "something just clicked". I just loved this record. I asked me Mum if she would buy it for me for Christmas that year. "It's a two record set, so you don't have to get me anything else, ok?!” I bargained. Over the years the album has meant so much to me for many different reasons. This from the liner notes, "A tough guy, a helpless dancer. A romantic, is it me for a moment? A bloody lunatic, I'll even carry your bags. A beggar, a hypocrite, love reign over me. Schizophrenic? I'm Bleeding Quadrophenic." I sure didn't know what all of that meant during that first listen all those years ago...but I certainly do now.

Super list RGLT. Brave call with Shot of Love. I must give it a twirl. It's been a while.

• Like 1

Oh well.

Mick

Yeah, there's a continuum here. I've met people who found solace from a personal tragedy in an album or an artist, or an album or artist might have opened them up to a new way of looking at life. Or, you interpret the question to simply be asking what albums changed your appreciation of music (genres, styles, etc). Either is valid; it's not rocket science.

I know a person who had gone through horrific abuse when she was young. She said that she often considered suicide during that time, but that listening to Fleetwood Mac provided her with the solace she needed to continue (especially Rumours). So, while music has never needed to be that important to me, I'd never discount the power or meaning it has to anyone else. Ok, end of preaching.

Edited by Rutlefan
  • Like 3

Oh well.

Mick

Yeah, there's a continuum here. I've met people who found solace from a personal tragedy in an album or an artist, or an album or artist might have opened them up to a new way of looking at life. Or, you interpret the question to simply be asking what albums changed your appreciation of music (genres, styles, etc). Either is valid; it's not rocket science.

Yes. Music has seen me through some terrible times. And, it's enriched my life like no other art form.

• Like 1

I have 12!

I won't name them all but suffice to say their all by Hatchet Pete and the Mouldy Yellow Toenails!

:haz:

Bless you. Our number one fan.

You were the only person in the world to buy our 12th opus, "Bananas Make Me Hot & Giggly".

Oh well.

I don't post here because of the music. In fact he fan boy nature of this forum has turned me sour on said music. Buying a t-shirt, attending a concert or growing my hair are hardly life changing events.

they're still decisions that you made that were based on liking music. and I'm pretty sure you signed up on this website because you like rush. now, maybe you signed up here because you heard we had a great politics board, but I just assumed you made the decision to sign up because you, at some point, before cynicism was your schtick, enjoyed rush's music.

Oh well.

Mick

I know a person who had gone through horrific abuse when she was young. She said that she often considered suicide during that time, but that listening to Fleetwood Mac provided her with the solace she needed to continue (especially Rumours). So, while music has never needed to be that important to me, I'd never discount the power or meaning it has to anyone else. Ok, end of preaching.

obvious stuff, I believe TSS understood the topic's purpose even though he claims otherwise

Oh well.

Mick

obvious stuff, I believe TSS understood the topic's purpose even though he claims otherwise

Some people just like to take a dump on things that other people care about.

• Like 1

Originally classifying these albums as life changing sounded a bit too dramatic for me, but as I continued to recall and analyze each of these albums and my experiences I noticed that they indeed do just that. All these albums have experiences associated with them, introduced me to a broader variety of music, and most importantly, they changed my life outlook - even if just temporarily.

Personal Chronological Order:

Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of the Silent Earth 3

Sonata Arctica - Winterheart's Guild

Rush - Grace Under Pressure

Angra - Rebirth

ELO - On the Third Day

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

Yes - Close to the Edge

Weezer - Pinkerton

King's X - Gretchen Goes to Nebraska

Blind Guardian - Tales from the Twilight World

Steven Wilson - Grace for Drowning

Stratovarius - Nemesis

Allow me to revise... And this time give brief descriptions where necessary

Coheed and Cambria - In Keeping Secrets of the Silent Earth 3

-Got me into music as I know it, also was helpful since I was in an angsty phase growing into a Jr. High / Highschool Freshman teenage boy, becoming increasingly unaccepted by my peers.

Sonata Arctica - Winterheart's Guild

-Furthered my already found love of Winter, my favorite season, and nature / trees.

Rush - Grace Under Pressure

-I associate this album with a very nice park... This also got me into Rush (as well as S&A Live). I later joined this forum.

Angra - Rebirth

-Lust for life, beautiful music.

ELO - On the Third Day

-Not much to say actually other than the previous description.

Bob Dylan - Highway 61 Revisited

-A new way to deal with melancholic days, and definitely the most conventional genre for this sort of thing.

Yes - Close to the Edge

-Got me into art a bit more, listened to a lot of this and Going for the One while farming

Weezer - Pinkerton

-An album that came a bit too late in my life, but was still useful... This album is vaguely about failings with pursuing / maintaining relationships.

King's X - Gretchen Goes to Nebraska

-Helped me appreciate summer (summerland have anything to do with this?), loved taking long walks more than ever, this album journeyed with me. Was going into College.

Blind Guardian - Tales from the Twilight World

-Accompanied me after a psychotic breakdown, listened to it often between having to deal with the aftermath.

Stratovarius - Nemesis

-Lived in a different town all on my lonesome for the first time. This album was what I listened to during all my bus rides.

Jimi Hendrix Experience - Axis: Bold as Love

-Reinforced me, let me accept myself and understand that it's normal to react with emotion to situations. I don't feel so abnormal or guilty for getting in a bad mood.

Trout Mask Replica-Captain Beefheart.

It sounded like shit first time around. But when you really listen and realize that everything in there is deliberate and planned out in just such a way. It becomes a wonderfully fun ride.

Mick

This is very good and important to my life

1."Rush:2112"-A very very Very cool and important album in my life forever as I was introduced by myself with this album at aged 19 in 2011 but "The Sprit of The Radio" really was the 1th song ever to get me hook on these 3 Prog Rock band in the 1th place

2."Pink Floyd:The Dark Side of The Moon":

OMG what can I say about an 11 year "love" affair with this band that had turned me on to Prog Rock in the 1th place? A brilliance wonderful album by the best group ever on my list

3."Genesis:Wind & Weathering": I was turned on to this group by a great friend of mine who also loved Genesis as well. Phil Collins drums work in this album is stillar (next to Neil Peart) as well as his 1th lead vocals as frontman for this wonderful band

4."Rush:Singals": Once again, this group is the very best ever on this album despite the lil bit of critical views on here on and about the 80s Rush. This album is awesome and I love it very much next to "GUP (1984)" and Geddy vocals are soft on here after he stopped with the high pitched vocals era which I also loved (just saying)

5."Coldplay:"A Rush of Blood to the Head":

Another band of Floyd/Rush for me is this group from England. A band that I got into in 2002 at age 10 and continues to be a very very good band as well known now. One of my beloved favorite in my list as well. This album is (and was) a high rise from beginning to end of this album here love "Clocks", "In My Place" and "Polik" and they are very great to hear on this album

6."Pink Floyd:The Wall": Another great great great album of all time by the Floyd here. They tell you a story about how to not get pissed of to the world and and still rings true today ("ABITW","Hey You",

"Run Like Hell","Comfortably Numb" & "Goodbye Blue Sky") are my fave of all time by this group

Late 1976, 13 years old, ELO...A New World Record.

1977, Pink Floyd...Darkside of the Moon, Supertramp... Crime of the Century.

1978, Genesis... Seconds Out, Yes... Yessongs, Jethro Tull... Bursting Out Live.

1979, Kansas... Two for the Show.

1980, Rush... Permanent Waves, Hemispheres, Genesis... Duke.

Between 13 and 17 years old these were the albums that amongst dozens of others stood out to me and I played over and over. Definitely was the music and the feel of the music that stood out for me. Seconds Out inspired the drummer in me...

1981... Rush... Moving Pictures, first year at work, first album I purchased whilst in a full time job. Played it over and over, thought the first side was one of the greatest single sides of music ever produced.

1985... Marillion... Misplaced Childhood. Bought this on the day of release, my wife of three years and I sat down and listened to it together, we were both emotionally moved, it just had so much passion and emotion, plus beautifully produced, sounded great on our JVC Stereo system... Still a year away from CD's (and mobile phones) so still on good old vinyl here. Plus I think I was so hooked on the early Genesis sound.

1992, Dream Theater... Images and Words, our first child was a few months away from being born when a friend of mine who was on holiday in England sent me a letter (yes CD's were here, but no email and still 7 years away from the internet age), saying I have to check out this new band. I picked it up the next day...totally blown away, so many influences from bands I loved from my early years.

So these were my top 12.

PS great thread, and great to read everyone's list and background, just really nice reading.

Edited by Duke1
  • Like 3