So is the "A Show of Hands" CD now kinda obsolete?

clem

I've been listening to all of the Rush live CDs recently (Did you know there are ten if you count the audio "CDs" of R30 and GUP Live? - eleven if you throw in Working Men??), and it dawned on me that apart from "Turn the Page", there's nothing on this CD that isn't on one of the latter live releases, and all of the latter versions are much better (IMHO).

Now, don't get me wrong, I LOVED this thing when it came out back in '89, but there doesn't seem to be any reason to listen to it anymore. Please note that I'm talking about the CD, NOT the VHS and/or DVD.

Thoughts?

Clem

• Like 1

It has the best version of Mission.

S&A has the best version of Mission. It is basically the the best way to listen to a synth era greatest hits, and the version of Manhattan Project is awesome.

• Like 1

I havent listened to A Show Of Hands so many times because its kinda new to me, it was the last official live album I got except for Clockwork Angels Tour. But I think its a great 80,s concert, only bad thing about it is that its from more then one tour, I wish it was only from Hold Your Fire Tour.

I would say not. In my opinion It has the best live versions of Mission, Time Stand Still, and Force Ten. Definitely a solid live album that still holds it's own today. Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch
  • Like 3

Do people here hate the S&A version of Mission? That version of the song made me rethink Hold Your Fire as an album.

I completely agree. When I first heard that version I had to make sure I was still listening to the S&A live album. Ged definitely nailed it on that one. But ASOH has some incredible cuts...Lock & Key comes to mind when i think of that particular live album

Well it was my favorite live album until CA Live came out. But it is still very good. By Far it has my favorite versions of Subdivisions and Distant Early Warning, and I like how they took it in a rougher perspective in good contrast to the polish of the 80s studio albums. I think the video set was better though.
  • Like 1

I love "A Show of Hands"! I saw that tour and some of the songs on the album are from the show I saw.

So it has some nostalgic value as well as being a great live document of that era of Rush's history.

Which show were you at? I was at the New Orleans show where Turn the Page was played.

Clem

This is like asking if my current photograph makes my photo from 10 years ago obsolete. No. We are lucky to have as many live documents as we do from them. A lot of bands have not released this much official material. Edited by Ancient Ways
  • Like 1

Well it was my favorite live album until CA Live came out. But it is still very good. By Far it has my favorite versions of Subdivisions and Distant Early Warning, and I like how they took it in a rougher perspective in good contrast to the polish of the 80s studio albums. I think the video set was better though.

The video is much better.

It's a bookmark of sorts inasmuch as it was the last "every four years" live albums that also marked the band's musical style transitions and served as a retrospective/summation of the previous era. Their next live was Different Stages some ten years later and after that they all seem to blend together into the same muddy wash of sound.
  • Like 1

I just don't like 'greatest hits live' albums. I will listen to the soundtrack of the VHS/DVD from time to time, or the Philly Power Windows show if I feel like live recordings from those eras. I just prefer listening to either single show recordings, or some kind of representation of the actual setlist from the tour.