Neil Ranked #3 in Modern Drummer 'Greatest Drummer' List

Jag2112

Hey, I just realized – I didn’t see Tony Royster Jr on that goddam list… that guy was better than most of the drummers on the list when he was 12!

Google it – You Tube. Tony Royster Jr, age 12. You will freak out. And, now he’s about 24 or so. Holy eff.

I think Royster will be there once the already-established pantheon gets a bit stale. He's too good a percussionist not to.

When anyone of these drummer can pull off the drum solos that Neil has done on a regular basis, come talk to me. He doesn't just play, The creates compositions on percussions.

I think all these drummers are fine soloists, but that really shouldn't be the point.

• Like 1

When anyone of these drummer can pull off the drum solos that Neil has done on a regular basis, come talk to me. He doesn't just play, The creates compositions on percussions.

Are you kidding me? The guys I listed could easily , and do regularly, play solos like Neil.. It's laughable to think otherwise.. Neil is great in Rush, but if he jammed with the likes of Weckl, he would get schooled

• Like 1

What Neil plays isn't as incredibly difficult as a lot of these other guys, but the time and effort he puts into writing the parts is unmatched. That being said, any list with Buddy Rich not at the top is simply wrong. The man was a freak, doing things that will probably never ever be done again. Easily regarded as one of the top musicians of all time.
  • Like 1

Ringo was a great drummer with the Beatles. Listen to those songs, he contributed greatly. He's as original a drummer as there is and his influence is undeniable. With that said, he basically gave up on being a drummer after the Beatles broke-up. It was a big mistake, in my mind. It's really what tarnishes his legacy among some critics.

He's one of my favorite drummers and I fully understand and accept a number of his peers "blow him away." But like Phil Collins said, "I think he's vastly underrated. The drum fills on A Day In The Life are very complex things. You could take a great drummer today and say, 'I want it like that.' They wouldn't know what to do."

Some of those guys could drum solo circles around Neil.

So? Does it imply Neil Peart is not one of the greatest drummers in the world?

So many drum solos sound the same to my ears. Technical prowess and speed, let's show off!

• Like 1

Charlie Watts and Ringo both deserve a place among the all time greats. Not only perfect for their bands - Charlie absolutely grooves - but two of THE most influential drummers ever. How many kids took up drumming after seeing the Beatles for the first time?

Lists shmists. Who gives a flying F. Should have said in no particular order. All great players. Ringo and Charlie shouldn't be on that list. No Carlos Vega. So many drummers belong on that list. Why not top 300. Vinnie Colaiuta should be number 1. He has more chops than buddy. And a trillion more unique ideas and a lot more vocabulary. Weckl in top 5. Simon Phillips should be be way ahead of Peart. I would put Neil around the 40 and below part of that list. Who's Tony Allen. Peter Erskin at 40? What!? Who voted on this list? Edited by shail

Are you kidding me? The guys I listed could easily , and do regularly, play solos like Neil.. It's laughable to think otherwise.. Neil is great in Rush, but if he jammed with the likes of Weckl, he would get schooled

Weckl's solo here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OcFzTG249rE

is light years beyond anything Nel played in Rush. Of course, Rush never played this type of music, either.

Edit: Starts around 6:00 or so.

Edited by coventry

Lol at Ringo being #7. Using the same biased logic that placed him at #7, Neil should be #1.

I agree, Ringo should be nowhere near that list. He was an average (at best) drummer among three of the greatest musical geniuses ever.

Then again, we're caught up in a big rhetorical ankle-biting fest here. I mean, on one hand does it really matter WHO's better, who's best? Do we have to quantify and create a hierarchy? Well, yes - if you want to sell magazines.

Then again, one could make a strong case that Neil is the most influential rock drummer in history, more so than Bonham or anyone else. he singlehandedly has redefined being a rock drummer, playing a huge instrument without devolving into parody, and inspiring millions of drummers who, unfortumately, start out on kits much too large for their abilities and often never recover.

However, once you leave the niche of rock drumming then it becomes a mute point. Jazz drumming, tablas, complex west african rhythm famillies - these are all areas of percussion for the most part much more nuanced and complex than rock drumming. The best rock drummers weave elements of these styles into their drumming, but never master them.

• Like 1

Lol at Ringo being #7. Using the same biased logic that placed him at #7, Neil should be #1.

I agree, Ringo should be nowhere near that list. He was an average (at best) drummer among three of the greatest musical geniuses ever.

if you're going by technical proficiency, then maybe yes. If you're going by how well the drumming fit the style of the music, and how perfect a fit the drummer was, then he belongs up there.

Look at it this way: Neil could never have fit in with the Beatles, nor would Lennon or McCartney have ever put up with Neil's style. The same can be said for Starr and Rush.

I am just proud to be middle aged. Beats the alternative certainly..... :)

You sound like you're convincing yourself you're old, 53 is not old mate!

Fixed :)

I think I might know what the big discrepancy is all about – the word “greatest” doesn’t mean “best” or even “good.” I guess that’s why Ringo and Charlie are in the list. Neither drummers are all that good, in my opinion, but I guess they are great because of who they are / were and what they did. The two biggest rock ‘n roll bands ever.

If the list was “the best” drummers, I think it would much different. Buddy would still be at the top… but then who? Good luck…

• Like 1

#2 great semi-inovative drumming on 9 studio albums and dies choking on his own vomit.

#3 great incredibly innovative drumming on 20 studio albums and author of 4 books, husband and father. Still alive and touring, influencing generations.

Who the hell runs this rag?

Moby Dick vs. Piece of Eight ??? Nuff said.

List is a joke. Some egotistical publisher thinking he gets to decide these things that have already been decided.

1. Rich

2. Peart

3. Moon

4. Bonham

5. Copeland

• Like 1