Walmart features "Working Man" in commercial

circumstantial tree

Really though...this could have been a lot worse...It could have been one of their many god-awful spots "in-store"...I can see it now...those obviously fake employees in terrible wigs air-rocking next to their "rollback" prices...then cutting to some dope in the hardware section trying to drum on buckets or some shit like that....I didn't even look at the commercial for a while for fear that it might have been the scenario i just described...If Rush's management gave the go-ahead, fine by me. At least i dont have to suffer through another commercial playing that garbage pop or bullshit country.

Eek. I'm ok (not thrilled, but I can deal) with Wally World's use of the song in its current format.

But if the scenario you just laid out were to occur, I'd probably shoot my TV.

I'm pretty confident that most musicians want to make as much money with their product as possible and reach as large an audience as possible. What's selling out? Is it compromising your art for profit?

I am either going to be ignored for what I am about to say or blasted by folks here much smarter than I. For someone like myself who has been a fan since 1976 I am thrilled for them to be on a commercial for a huge company. I am glad to have some of my youthful naivete left to just f**king enjoy it and not over analyze this. I hope they play the sh*t out of it everywhere till I tire from it. Going way back to a time when I couldn't even catch them on the radio, I am going to celebrate this a little. I hope they got paid handsomely too.... :)

I agree Old School. The VW commercial gave me the same great feeling. Pretty cool IMO

• Like 1

I called their management today just to see if they knew, like when politicians have used their stuff. The guy who answered the phone said they are well aware. And when I mentioned the other uses that got squashed for not getting approval, he kinda sighed and said (paraphrased) "well sadly that isnt the case this time. We are getting a lot of mixed reviews on this one...thanks for calling" I figure they have gotten a lot of feedback on this, Ill even go as far to say I think he wasnt happy all around on this one judging by his demeanor and tone.
  • Like 1

Mike Rowe is also getting some flake. I understand what Walmart is doing and I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing. Walmart gets such a bad rap I understand the cynicism. But, sometimes I can't help but think some of those criticizing Walmart only understand economics from a certain point of view.
  • Like 1

If any of you guys have read Neil's writing you'll remember that he always appreciates how Wal-Mart let's buses, cars, RV's, etc... camp out in their parking lots without harassing them.

I only saw it once during the Olympics so far, seen other versions of it with other music. Maybe they have already asked them to pull it?

I prefer companies that sell more made in USA products and who pay their employees enough to get insurance rather than tell them to apply for assistance, :sigh: just IMHO

• Like 1

As I am a Working Man and finally got around to watching this day of the Olympics and I was stunned by the Wal Mart Ad. Before getting blasted, let me just say, Rush can do whatever they want with their music-- It's none of my business! But, and this is a BIG BUTT- It's none of my business if big girls wear yoga pants or big boys wear a Speedo either but it doesn't make it pretty!

Rush are royalty now and the decisions they make are the decisions of royalty. This, in my opinion was not a very regal decision. Since coming out of the Ayn Rand years with a new sense of social balance Rush has stood for something better than Wal Mart. Any way I look at this ad, it just seems bizarre and out of place... Jeez guys, ANYTHING but Wal Mart.

HW

I'm disappointed. Walmart is about as evil of a company as you can find.

I don't think anyone forces people to work at Walmart... do they? :huh:

This is an abomination. Rush has officially sold themselves oot.

Yup. You should probably quit being a fan and leave, k? :hi:

Edited by KennyLee
  • Like 1

My Mom worked at Wal Mart. She couldnt find anyone that would hire her age at that point, due to her age. and WM treated her like crap. She finally left and Im doing my best to make sure she doesnt have to work again for anyone. Some areas just have no other job they can get, and WM, and many other businesses take full advantage of that. My last company pretty much dared me to try to find anther job. They took away my title/position, tried to cut my pay, and then put me thru 2 hearings with unemployment. Which they lost both btw. So it really sucks out there and some people have no other option but to work for dooshe bags like WM. Edited by ucsteve667

As I am a Working Man and finally got around to watching this day of the Olympics and I was stunned by the Wal Mart Ad. Before getting blasted, let me just say, Rush can do whatever they want with their music-- It's none of my business! But, and this is a BIG BUTT- It's none of my business if big girls wear yoga pants or big boys wear a Speedo either but it doesn't make it pretty!

Rush are royalty now and the decisions they make are the decisions of royalty. This, in my opinion was not a very regal decision. Since coming out of the Ayn Rand years with a new sense of social balance Rush has stood for something better than Wal Mart. Any way I look at this ad, it just seems bizarre and out of place... Jeez guys, ANYTHING but Wal Mart.

HW

Brilliantly said!!!

I think you just articulated what a lot of people are feeling.

They're still my favorite band, I would have preferred Working Man on a beer commercial.

As to the workers of Walmart -- the Maples formed a Union.

Thing is, if you really consider the lyrics, they definitely were not written by someone who was, in fact, a "working man".

This guy gets up a Seven. He goes to work at Nine.

Now, is he actually "leaving the house to go to work" at nine, or is he arriving at work at nine?

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say he is indeed starting work at nine.

How long of a day is he actually working? Because he's home by five o'clock!

This guy doesn't even work an eight hour day. Technically, he could be considered a part-timer.

Not really much of a "working man" who has no time for "living"!

Musicians hours.

Ged and Al were creative artists, still working men.

Since record companies are the epitome of evil by many, anybody who signed a record deal, in my opinion, sold out.
  • Like 1

Thing is, if you really consider the lyrics, they definitely were not written by someone who was, in fact, a "working man".

This guy gets up a Seven. He goes to work at Nine.

Now, is he actually "leaving the house to go to work" at nine, or is he arriving at work at nine?

Let's give him the benefit of the doubt and say he is indeed starting work at nine.

How long of a day is he actually working? Because he's home by five o'clock!

This guy doesn't even work an eight hour day. Technically, he could be considered a part-timer.

Not really much of a "working man" who has no time for "living"!

Musicians hours.

Ged and Al were creative artists, still working men.

Perhaps he worked from home? :huh:

Sam ran a much different company than it is today. Its a shame really...

To me it seems like a real obvious dig at people who work at Walmart. Like they should be working somewhere else. It's like whoever picked the song just heard the title and didn't really listen to the lyrics.

This does raise the question of what other songs could be paired up with other products? "Resist" for nicotine patches? Well, Red Barchetta is obvious, but I don't think they sell a lot of those on TV. "Fly By Night" for a discount airline, maybe.

This does raise the question of what other songs could be paired up with other products? "Resist" for nicotine patches? Well, Red Barchetta is obvious, but I don't think they sell a lot of those on TV. "Fly By Night" for a discount airline, maybe.

"Fly By Night" was already used to sell a car.