Spindrift

The Analog Cub

O my...are you both flirting?

Coz if you are...I'm gonna...um...watch coz its kinda creepy...

What's creepy? Us flirting or you watching? Either way doesn't bother me..... :huh:

It's like being in a room with Segue Myles and Bru...

...I mean Jennifer Lawrence...

great song,

Great song? 2112, Subdivisions, Cygnus X-1, Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta and Clockwork Angels are great songs...

But Spindrift? A great Rush song? Ok...

I think it is, I love it even more live. Alex's guitar work is amazing to me. Vocally and lyrically it has a desperation to it I appreciate a lot I guess. Im pretty sure thats what they were reaching for I figure and I think they captured it well. Edited by ucsteve667
  • Like 1

For me, the topic/lyrics so not require the level of urgency or angst that is in the vocals, and the lyrics do not form a cohesive track. Put the intro on a track with more excitement and it would work, and build a song around the 'closer to you' and it could work. The two tracks that I always skip on S&A are Spindrift and Armor and Sword, Take away those and I think the album is quite good,

is it you dont like heavier darker stuff? The "closer to you" part is what i find weak in the song. Armor and Sword has some great heavy riffs in it. Edited by ucsteve667

is it you dont like heavier darker stuff? The "closer to you" part is what i find weak in the song. Armor and Sword has some great heavy riffs in it.

I love both of those songs, but I vastly prefer the live version of Armour And Sword. Particularly the break :drool: :haz: :rush:

For me Spindrift just doesn't hang together. It could work based round the "closer to you" bit or it could work as a heavier, darker song without that part. Instead of that the song seems to pull you in different directions at the same time. Considering the theme, that may well be what they were trying to do (very clever), but it doesn't work for me.

works fer me
  • Like 1

Caravan is what Spindrift wanted to be...... :finbar:

Or maybe Caravan wanted to be what Spindrift is! ;)

That never occurred to me before, but now thinking about it, I can see parallels between these two songs. There are the slightly discordant verses and more melodic choruses, and an overall feel to each song of restlessness and a need for change. It's an interesting comparison.

I'm not sure which song I like more. Spindrift has more sentimental importance to me, but Caravan is part of Clockwork Angels! I love them both.

• Like 1

Caravan is one of the greatest Rush songs. Spindrift doesn't even come within a infinity- galaxy radius. Sorry.
  • Like 3

I dont get it, Spindrift is a awesome song, I love it! You guys that skip it, should give it one more try, and you will love it! Trust me!

I like it more then Caravan I think, even thou they are two kind of songs.

Edited by Zumbi
  • Like 1

I dont get it, Spindrift is a awesome song, I love it! You guys that skip it, should give it one more try, and you will love it! Trust me!

I like it more then Caravan I think, even thou they are two kind of songs.

I've given Spindrift some more listens recently, and I'd say it's okay. Not as bad as I once thought. Caravan's a better song though :finbar:

Caravan is to me a much heavier and busier song of course, but Spindrift has a mood, an feeling ominous foreboding that I get from it I really like. I think thats what they were going for, and I believe the got it just right. For me at least

Anyone else think that some parts of Spindrift (e.g around 40 seconds in) sound a fair amount like some parts of Time and Motion (about twenty seconds in)? Anyway, seems to me that there are pieces of Spindrift that could be great but as a whole it is not a standout song. I like the "a little closer to you" part best (which is also the part that the instrumental portion in the middle plays over).

I actually like the song. S&A is a horribly underrated album and I don't feel it's ever been appreciated the way it should. Very complex material; musically and lyrically.