Presto

Brucey

I'm curious- for people who are complaining of bad production, lack of bass, lack of 'punch' on this album, are you listening to the CD remasters or the original vinyl masters?

Neither here...... :) :outtahere:

Casette? They didn't do an 8-track release. Is the move away from 8-tracks the reason why you gave up on RUSH altogether, by chance?

Creative differences. My friend in high school did have Caress Of Steel on 8 track. My first exposure to them and something else was in his car..... :smoke:
  • Like 1

This album is towards the bottom of their catalog for me, but I still really like it. I don't listen to it often, but when I do, I enjoy it!

Chain Lightning, Presto and The Pass are my favorites.

I wish they could do a re-mix on this and beef it up a little...

• Like 2

I'm curious- for people who are complaining of bad production, lack of bass, lack of 'punch' on this album, are you listening to the CD remasters or the original vinyl masters?

Casette? They didn't do an 8-track release. Is the move away from 8-tracks the reason why you gave up on RUSH altogether, by chance?

Creative differences. My friend in high school did have Caress Of Steel on 8 track. My first exposure to them and something else was in his car..... :smoke:

Of all the albums to put with :smoke: you probably picked the most appropriate one.

• Like 1

Of all the albums to put with :smoke: you probably picked the most appropriate one.

Amen... :d13:

Was the tracklist screwed up...like having Going Bald appear in the middle of Lamneth or something? 8-tracks were great for that kind of goofiness.

This album is towards the bottom of their catalog for me, but I still really like it. I don't listen to it often, but when I do, I enjoy it!

Chain Lightning, Presto and The Pass are my favorites.

I wish they could do a re-mix on this and beef it up a little...

I say leave it alone. The album, while not good, I'm glad it exists. It's their transitional album after the sterile Hold Your Fire. The real album to hate on is Roll The Bones since they didn't move forward, they just stuck with where they were on Presto, except the killer opening track Dreamline.

• Like 1

Was the tracklist screwed up...like having Going Bald appear in the middle of Lamneth or something? 8-tracks were great for that kind of goofiness.

I have no recollection of that specifically but I was really hungry afterwards for some reason.... :)
  • Like 4

What is an 8-track?

And there are no cover versions on Toto's debut!

One of my favorites. I listened to it every day during the summer of 1992 when I saw my first show, and it still reminds me of that summer. Fond memories. Roll the Bones was the newest Rush record out then, and I found Presto to be a musically superior companion album.

Even the much maligned songs like Superconductor and Anagram, I find very listenable and enjoyable. Hand Over Fist is a bit strange.

The production sounded great at the time, but it sounds pretty dated now, unfortunately. I never liked Neil's piccolo snare phase much.

Edited by analog guy
  • Like 2

I really like Superconductor. I think it gets maligned for sounding so commercial.

Spindrift has some very good qualities. It would be great as an instrumental.

• Like 1

Am I the only one on this forum that likes both Superconductor and Spindrift? :(

No, I like them! :D

That makes 2. Anyone else? :)
  • Like 1

I like the album. There is no Rush album I dislike.

For me it is an uneven record, lacks punch, and lyrically while strong as usual Geddy's vocal lines seem awkward at times. Highlights for me were:

Show Don't Tell

The Pass

Presto

Available Light

Red Tide

Chain Lighting, War Paint and Scars are decent songs but not fully fleshed out IMO. Anagram and Superconducter rank very very low for me on the Rush totem pole and quite frankly are songs I never ever listen to.

It's a decent album. While some fans saw it as a new begining to the band getting back to the power trio approach, I felt it was a transitional record with Rush trying to find a new "old" sound if that makes sense, and they would not get it till CP. Coming off two brilliant records like Power Windows.....and yes Hold Your Fire this was a let down for me in the back of my mind when it came to my all time favortite band. Roll The Bones IMO fleshed out what they were trying to ultimately get on Presto which was a sense of rock pop with less keyboards, more vocal harmonies etc. Bones had more memorable Rush classics IMO. And Alex really got his footing back under him again with some great solo's on Bones. Roll the Bones sold far better than Presto and rightfully so. It was a better record to my ears from purely a song standpoint. However I to this day am not overly fond of the "Rupert Hine" marriage with Rush. Sonically it was not my ultimate cup of tea in certain aspects. Some things I did like. neils drums were ultra crisp and Alex's solos had some really nice high end and mids.....but Geddy's bass suffered a lot IMO. Overall too tinny and no bottom end.

Edited by Todem
  • Like 3

Presto was the album that got me into Rush... heard Show Don't Tell and had to get it. To me there isn't a bad song on it. As for why a lot of people don't like it, I have two words: Rupert Hine. Listen to Show Don't Tell on Different Stages: an already excellent song taken to another level by putting some balls in the production. Heck, every song from Presto and RTB that's appeared on a live CD/DVD has made the original sound comparatively lame.
  • Like 3

Presto was the album that got me into Rush... heard Show Don't Tell and had to get it. To me there isn't a bad song on it. As for why a lot of people don't like it, I have two words: Rupert Hine. Listen to Show Don't Tell on Different Stages: an already excellent song taken to another level by putting some balls in the production. Heck, every song from Presto and RTB that's appeared on a live CD/DVD has made the original sound comparatively lame.

I need to get the live albums next. I look forward to them!

Am I the only one on this forum that likes both Superconductor and Spindrift? :(

No, I like them! :D

That makes 2. Anyone else? :)

I'll be number 3

I'll be number four. I like them both too.

• Like 1

It's only in the last few years I've come to appreciate the 'Rupert Hines' albums. When both Presto and Roll the Bones came out I was not into them. The production was too 'tinny' for me - Geddy's bass sounded tame, Neil's drums sounded small and Alex's guitar had no balls. Just didn't sound like Rush to me. I now appreciate the song writing, and Geddy's vocals. It's definately their most 'poppy' period, and to be honest I listen to these 2 albums the least. I think they're good, but pale compared to the rest of their albums.

I like Superconductor but not Spindrift.

I always interpreted Superconductor as a slam on manufactured and manipulated pop artists, which I despise, so I enjoy it on that level.

It has a good hook, nice bridge, and was a real rocker on the Presto tour as I recall. The crowd got into it...and the Xanadu segue made me laugh.
  • Like 1

I didn't really like this album for a very long time. When the time machine tour came out, I loved Presto and listened to the album again. It's not my favorite, but it's really good album. I love Available Light and Presto, and many of the other songs are good and fun. I like the increased use of the guitar, even if I enjoy the harder live sound better.
  • Like 1