Grace Under Pressure - Then and Now

clem

I loved P/G. It was perfect for the time. Futurism was very popular. A brilliant album..

I loved it, too. I was into the Police and ska at the time as well, so I didn't mind the influences. Now where did I put that hat...?

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_li4x21tkeT1qhl0j6o1_400.jpg

My son played in a SKA band for a few years late in his high school years and just after. I had never heard of SKA, of course, but I kind of enjoyed it when I went to his gigs...... :huh:

Ahhh...the great ska revival. Kudos to your son! Great British ska bands of the 80's included the Specials, the (English) Beat, Madness.

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_250/MI0000/667/MI0000667931.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Quintissential 80s ska track.

I saw Madness not long ago- they still perform that track! Slow Boat to Cairo was always a favourite, too. :)

Who wasn't into The Police in the eighties? :)

Me! I always liked their music, but hated Sting's voice. Still do! :o

• Like 1

Sorry I asked. I'm such a peasant.

On that note:

Who wasn't into Bruce Springsteen in the '80's?

Ew.

But :cheers: anyway!

Lol!

Back on track...been hooked on this album again due to this thread. Its about to hit top five. Not a single flaw!

1 00 1 00 1is like the catchiest hook in any Rush song ever!

On that note:

Me..... :codger:

Please don't ask about Toto or ABBA either........ :no:

Edited by Narpet
  • Like 1

I loved P/G. It was perfect for the time. Futurism was very popular. A brilliant album..

I loved it, too. I was into the Police and ska at the time as well, so I didn't mind the influences. Now where did I put that hat...?

I was really into the Police in '81-'82. They distracted me a little from Rush at that time!

Just like Journey?

No. You're confusing me with Alex Lifeson.

• Like 1

On that note:

Ha ha. Not me. In the early 80's, to me, he was the antithesis of Rush!

I took so much heat for being a Rush fan at that time, but always stood my ground. I hope the guys realize the pains we young fans endured for them.

Edited by GeminiRising79
  • Like 3

There were even a couple of dance-able tracks (the two “red” songs).

You dance to music about the holocaust (or at least inspired by it)? I've never thought of that song that way.

I do agree with a lot of the other points you made.

When I say "dance-able", I meant it to be somewhat tongue-in-cheek. Sans lyrics, those two tunes were the most catchy beat-wise. As someone else already pointed out, a guy in Iron Maiden referred to RSA as "Disco Rush". By the way, I think I HAVE that magazine. I think it was Hit Parader. They would do a feature where a popular rock artist would comment on songs that were popular at the time.

Clem

PS - VERY happy that this thread has gone on for four pages without anyone arguing!! :):):)

My son played in a SKA band for a few years late in his high school years and just after. I had never heard of SKA, of course, but I kind of enjoyed it when I went to his gigs...... :huh:

Ahhh...the great ska revival. Kudos to your son! Great British ska bands of the 80's included the Specials, the (English) Beat, Madness.

http://cps-static.rovicorp.com/3/JPG_250/MI0000/667/MI0000667931.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

If you ever get so bored you don't know what to do with yourself, google Bottle Cap Bandits and there is a youtube video of he and his band from 2007. He was 17 at the time. He is the tall one in the striped shirt with playing the sax. They are playing First Class Losers. I would post it myself but alas, my skills are sucking as usual...... :)

:dweez: :chickendance: :7up: :yay: :cheerleader: :banana:
  • Like 1

Quintissential 80s ska track.

I saw Madness not long ago- they still perform that track! Slow Boat to Cairo was always a favourite, too. :)

Who wasn't into The Police in the eighties? :)

Me! I always liked their music, but hated Sting's voice. Still do! :o

The instrumentals! :haz: Cha!

The only thing wrong with TBE is Neil's drumming in the intro/ Verses. That snare, tom pattern really weakens the song. If Neil would had played anything else, I think it would have come across much better :finbar:.

If you ever get so bored you don't know what to do with yourself, google Bottle Cap Bandits and there is a youtube video of he and his band from 2007. He was 17 at the time. He is the tall one in the striped shirt with playing the sax. They are playing First Class Losers. I would post it myself but alas, my skills are sucking as usual...... :)

:dweez: :chickendance: :7up: :yay: :cheerleader: :banana:

Funny thing. I told my son what I was trying to do and he said "Dad don't post that, it was not our best. It was terrible". I am touched that you did this. Thanks... :) Edited by Narpet
  • Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOvwuvWE-_8 :dweez: :chickendance: :7up: :yay: :cheerleader: :banana:

Funny thing. I told my son what I was trying to do and he said "Dad don't post that, it was not our best. It was terrible". I am touched that you did this. Thanks... :)

Great energy!

I was born in 1983 so, yeah. What I can say is that I absolutely love this album! Could be that I grew up in the eighties and 90s where a lot of 80s music style carried over, that I get this warm fuzzy feeling whenever I hear this album. There is not one bad track on it, and I mean that sincerely. I might be blasphemous as to say that I rank it higher than Moving Pictures :yes

When I bought the record (it was my first Rush record) a couple of years ago I remember listening to 2112, Moving Pictures and one more I can't remember. Probably Hold Your Fire, but Grace Under Pressure had the sound that reminded me of my upbringing and the joie de vivre of good 80s music. Some kind of nostalgia. No contest Grace Under Pressure blew them away.

The fact that it sounds dated is exactly why I love it. :)

• Like 2

PS - VERY happy that this thread has gone on for four pages without anyone arguing!! :) :) :)

Why are you happy? You shouldn't be happy about no arguing! You are wrong and blah blah blah etc!

;)

The only thing wrong with TBE is Neil's drumming in the intro/ Verses. That snare, tom pattern really weakens the song. If Neil would had played anything else, I think it would have come across much better :finbar:.

Funny, that's one of the things I think is good about the song. As soon as the drums start you know what song it is. Instant recognition :D

• Like 3

Funny, that's one of the things I think is good about the song. As soon as the drums start you know what song it is. Instant recognition :D

Same here. Besides, that intro pattern fits the lyrical mood of the song. Think about it 2k.

• Like 1

I was born in 1983 so, yeah. What I can say is that I absolutely love this album! Could be that I grew up in the eighties and 90s where a lot of 80s music style carried over, that I get this warm fuzzy feeling whenever I hear this album. There is not one bad track on it, and I mean that sincerely. I might be blasphemous as to say that I rank it higher than Moving Pictures :yes

When I bought the record (it was my first Rush record) a couple of years ago I remember listening to 2112, Moving Pictures and one more I can't remember. Probably Hold Your Fire, but Grace Under Pressure had the sound that reminded me of my upbringing and the joie de vivre of good 80s music. Some kind of nostalgia. No contest Grace Under Pressure blew them away.

The fact that it sounds dated is exactly why I love it. :)

I like it better than Moving Pictures too :yes:

• Like 1