I'm on a huge Van Halen Kick

Xanadoood

So today I thought I'd delve into the Sammy era. I found this video from the Balance tour. If you needed any additional evidence that they were 2 different bands, check out the setlist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R63HWYXJmfk

Great find! I had this one on VHS, but lost it a while back. I have the audio of a few tracks, mixed with others from another show of the same tour. Things started to fall apart when they changed management just before Balance was released, and then they went to Europe as an opening act to Bon Jovi (!?!?!?!).

I read Sammy's autobiography when it came out a year or two ago. In addition to bashing Eddie and Alex relentlessly, at several points he suggested that Van Halen was more successful with him than with Roth. And yet somehow they became an opening act?

:wtf:

Four number one albums with Sammy in the U.S., that's why.

"Number ones" are comparative to other albums sold at the same time. I can't believe any of the Sammy Hagar albums, or even all of them combined, outsold the debut and/or 1984, both of which I think are "diamond" certified.

It's Sammy's semantics, not mine. A Roth-era album never reached No. 1, all of Sammy's did.

If my memory serves me correctly though Sammy doesn't say they had more number 1 albums, he suggests they were more successful. Point being I guess that Sammy's full of it.

http://www.statisticbrain.com/van-halen-band-career-statistics/

The debut & 1984 both racked up 17 million in slaes, according to this. 5150 sold 11 million, making it the #3 selling VH album.

The Hagar albums sold very well.

Yup, they were still quite popular right up to Balance..even in the 90s alternative rock world, they were selling out arenas..they had an audience.

• Like 1

So today I thought I'd delve into the Sammy era. I found this video from the Balance tour. If you needed any additional evidence that they were 2 different bands, check out the setlist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R63HWYXJmfk

Great find! I had this one on VHS, but lost it a while back. I have the audio of a few tracks, mixed with others from another show of the same tour. Things started to fall apart when they changed management just before Balance was released, and then they went to Europe as an opening act to Bon Jovi (!?!?!?!).

I read Sammy's autobiography when it came out a year or two ago. In addition to bashing Eddie and Alex relentlessly, at several points he suggested that Van Halen was more successful with him than with Roth. And yet somehow they became an opening act?

:wtf:

Four number one albums with Sammy in the U.S., that's why.

"Number ones" are comparative to other albums sold at the same time. I can't believe any of the Sammy Hagar albums, or even all of them combined, outsold the debut and/or 1984, both of which I think are "diamond" certified.

It's Sammy's semantics, not mine. A Roth-era album never reached No. 1, all of Sammy's did.

If my memory serves me correctly though Sammy doesn't say they had more number 1 albums, he suggests they were more successful. Point being I guess that Sammy's full of it.

http://www.statistic...eer-statistics/

The debut & 1984 both racked up 17 million in slaes, according to this. 5150 sold 11 million, making it the #3 selling VH album.

Interesting. And yet it's only their 8th or 9th best album. :)

Not a bad kick to be on...

...while I enjoy both Dave fronted Van Halen and Sammy fronted Van Halen,

the tip of the hat goes to the original line-up for me.

Those first six albums (Van Halen / Van Halen II / Women and Children First / Fair Warning / Diver Down / 1984) are all just monumental.

I may just have to join you on this Van Halen kick.

~Cheers, RGLT

http://bravewords-public.s3.amazonaws.com/images/p17io6l34cuhh12m41ov0105911l5.jpg

They were phenomenal back then, and I think it is a tragedy that Eddie could never get his act together and now apparently isn't as good as he once was on account of that. Can't say Valerie didn't try. But it was up to him.

• Like 1

I just listened to every Rith era record over the past several weeks on my morning drives to work. Sometimes I forget just how much I love Van Halen. I have had them on hiatus since after I burned out on the lastest record. So here are my update rankings of the Roth Era

1) Fair Warning

2) VH II

3) VH

4) A Different Kind of Truth

5) 1984

6) Woman and Children First

7) Diver Down

I love every album. Fair Warning for me was their pinnacle. All original material, absolute perfect balance of sonic mastery, and great playing while also keeping a live feel to their recording. Mean Street, Sinners Swing....some of the very best songs and grooves they ever played.

VH II is such a rocking record. This is a summer time feast. A band who is in complete command of their party loving craft. Somebody Get Me a Doctor is probably my all time favorite tune.

VH I is a classic.

So.....A Different Kind of Truth. This album is such a treat. Eddies playing is nothing short or brilliant on this album and his "Brown" sound is so back to form here. Not a weak track to be found. Not one. And Wolfgangs playing is so good. The Kid has major chops and flows perfectly with his Dad and Uncle. This over time will be come to known as one of the bands best efforts.

1984 has so many classic tunes......so many. A real departure with Jump and I'll Wait, but tunes like Top Jimmy and Drop Dead Legs remind me of what I loved about Van Halen the most. Humor mixed with big riffage and great grooves.

Woman and Children First has leap frogged Diver Down. The sheer rawness and "I don't give a f**k" attitidue that pours out of the speakers is undeniable.

Diver Down is a great album.....but too many covers...just too many. The original tunes stand above all others on the album with Little Guitars (a top 3 tune for me from VH) the true gem of the album.

As far as the Hagar years....I still contend they were great abliet totally different. But 5150 is still VH at the very top of their game. A gem of an album with it's share of outright great hard in your signature Van Halen in tunes like, Good Enough, Get Up, Summer Nights, Best of Both Worlds and the fantastic title track.

I just listened to every Rith era record over the past several weeks on my morning drives to work. Sometimes I forget just how much I love Van Halen. I have had them on hiatus since after I burned out on the lastest record. So here are my update rankings of the Roth Era

1) Fair Warning

2) VH II

3) VH

4) A Different Kind of Truth

5) 1984

6) Woman and Children First

7) Diver Down

I love every album. Fair Warning for me was their pinnacle. All original material, absolute perfect balance of sonic mastery, and great playing while also keeping a live feel to their recording. Mean Street, Sinners Swing....some of the very best songs and grooves they ever played.

VH II is such a rocking record. This is a summer time feast. A band who is in complete command of their party loving craft. Somebody Get Me a Doctor is probably my all time favorite tune.

VH I is a classic.

So.....A Different Kind of Truth. This album is such a treat. Eddies playing is nothing short or brilliant on this album and his "Brown" sound is so back to form here. Not a weak track to be found. Not one. And Wolfgangs playing is so good. The Kid has major chops and flows perfectly with his Dad and Uncle. This over time will be come to known as one of the bands best efforts.

1984 has so many classic tunes......so many. A real departure with Jump and I'll Wait, but tunes like Top Jimmy and Drop Dead Legs remind me of what I loved about Van Halen the most. Humor mixed with big riffage and great grooves.

Woman and Children First has leap frogged Diver Down. The sheer rawness and "I don't give a f**k" attitidue that pours out of the speakers is undeniable.

Diver Down is a great album.....but too many covers...just too many. The original tunes stand above all others on the album with Little Guitars (a top 3 tune for me from VH) the true gem of the album.

As far as the Hagar years....I still contend they were great abliet totally different. But 5150 is still VH at the very top of their game. A gem of an album with it's share of outright great hard in your signature Van Halen in tunes like, Good Enough, Get Up, Summer Nights, Best of Both Worlds and the fantastic title track.

I was just thinking about my ranking of the albums today, and my ranking was the exact same as yours. ADKOT sits very nicely in the middle and before it came out, I really didn't think a new DLR-fronted VH album would've even climbed over any of the original six-pack.

VH III was horrible and did not age well at all, even though I like Without You and Fire in the Hole. But setlist wise, they managed to put together the best songs from both eras prior to Cherone joining. It´s a shame they had to be thrown in along with turds like Josephina, A Year to the Day etc...

The US Festival show was terrible....good only for its comedic value. Oakland 81 though....that's another thing.

Yeah, by this point, the US Festival, Roth started focusing more on the jumping around theatrics and didn't even sing half the time, as he shows in the above clip.. It was the beginning of the end, even though 1984 was huge

Interesting about the Panama footage originally filmed for Jump..Those 3 videos, Jump, Panama, and HFT, along with the lesser known , somewhat dark Pretty Woman video, are always so entertaining to watch, no matter how many times ive seen them.

Rumors... they are working on a new album.

Yeah, I saw that on Blabbermouth.. That would be f*ckin epic.. They got the momentum from ADKOT

Taken from Mark Tremonti, who Wolfgang played with... Wonder how the Van Halen bros feel about this leaking, if true, the way history has shown how they keep every thing in house..

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/van-halen-is-putting-together-a-new-album-says-mark-tremonti/

Edited by Xanadoood

Tremonti was the actual bit of evidence that suggested the last album was really truly underway. This is a good early sign.

So much for Eddie and Roith not being able to work together anymore. The reunion tour was 7 years ago this year, with an additional tour and album that followed. And now another supposedly in the works..all with no break ups during that time; no public displays of disdain and hatred and inability to work together. This has to drive Van Hagar nuts mad.