I'm on a huge Van Halen Kick

Xanadoood

So today I thought I'd delve into the Sammy era. I found this video from the Balance tour. If you needed any additional evidence that they were 2 different bands, check out the setlist:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R63HWYXJmfk

Great find! I had this one on VHS, but lost it a while back. I have the audio of a few tracks, mixed with others from another show of the same tour. Things started to fall apart when they changed management just before Balance was released, and then they went to Europe as an opening act to Bon Jovi (!?!?!?!).

So today I thought I'd delve into the Sammy era. I found this video from the Balance tour. If you needed any additional evidence that they were 2 different bands, check out the setlist:

Great find! I had this one on VHS, but lost it a while back. I have the audio of a few tracks, mixed with others from another show of the same tour. Things started to fall apart when they changed management just before Balance was released, and then they went to Europe as an opening act to Bon Jovi (!?!?!?!).

I read Sammy's autobiography when it came out a year or two ago. In addition to bashing Eddie and Alex relentlessly, at several points he suggested that Van Halen was more successful with him than with Roth. And yet somehow they became an opening act?

:wtf:

I read Sammy's autobiography when it came out a year or two ago. In addition to bashing Eddie and Alex relentlessly, at several points he suggested that Van Halen was more successful with him than with Roth. And yet somehow they became an opening act?

Four number one albums with Sammy in the U.S., that's why.

"Number ones" are comparative to other albums sold at the same time. I can't believe any of the Sammy Hagar albums, or even all of them combined, outsold the debut and/or 1984, both of which I think are "diamond" certified.

• Like 1

"Number ones" are comparative to other albums sold at the same time. I can't believe any of the Sammy Hagar albums, or even all of them combined, outsold the debut and/or 1984, both of which I think are "diamond" certified.

It's Sammy's semantics, not mine. A Roth-era album never reached No. 1, all of Sammy's did.

It's Sammy's semantics, not mine. A Roth-era album never reached No. 1, all of Sammy's did.

If my memory serves me correctly though Sammy doesn't say they had more number 1 albums, he suggests they were more successful. Point being I guess that Sammy's full of it.

Yeah, this was really the low point for me...Eddies playing here is bloated and uninspiring...hes just going through the motions IMO.

It´s strange to notice how Sammy and Dave seem to have switched roles in the rant department as well. Dave used to bash VH at any chance he got, and nows seems like a tamed middle aged man. Sammy on the other hand was all compliments for a long while, but has been on rant mode for the best part of the decade now.

It´s strange to notice how Sammy and Dave seem to have switched roles in the rant department as well. Dave used to bash VH at any chance he got, and nows seems like a tamed middle aged man. Sammy on the other hand was all compliments for a long while, but has been on rant mode for the best part of the decade now.

I either read in his book, or heard Sammy say it in an interview, that Satriani is the greatest guitarist with whom he's ever played. Comments like that make him sound not just bitter, but stupid IMO.

I either read in his book, or heard Sammy say it in an interview, that Satriani is the greatest guitarist with whom he's ever played. Comments like that make him sound not just bitter, but stupid IMO.

He is a man who claims he was abducted by aliens.

I love both era's. Two completely different bands. Nothing wrong with that.

Eddie is one of my all time favorite guitar players. The guy was a master.....not anymore though. His health both mental and physical has taken it's toll. When I saw them on their first go around with Dave before the latest record the show was a complete and utter train wreck start to finish. Embarrising to be frank. I will never see them again live. I want to retain the great shows I saw in 1985 on the 5150 tour.....I never got to see them with Diamond Dave pre Sammy. The 5150 tour was incredible. They were on fire.

Anyway my favortie albums ranked.....combining both era's.

1) Fair Warning

2) II

3) I

4) 5150

5) 1984

6) Diver Down

7) F.U.C.K.

8) A Different Kind of Truth

9) OU812

10) Woman and Children First

11) Balance

Edited by Todem

Listen to that f*ckin nasty , choppin, thick rythm on take your whiskey home.. Just brutal .. No one plays like that anymore

Take Your Whisky Home is one of my fav's from them.......ever. Great f***ing rock song....tone is just sick on that cut.

Funny, I usually listen to them a lot, mostly during summer. I must be giving 'em a break...

VH were one of the definitive bands in highschool, but here's the best part... the music still sounds effing great now. Like Queen, it's hard to be in a bad mood listing to them. I actually got in trouble in Chemistry class for using the line "I don't feel tardy..." half the people laughed at that and got the joke. Got sent to the office. The price of stardom, oh well. :haz:

Think I'm gonna blow the cob webs off of Diver Down. Thanks.

• Like 1

Great observation.

For cover songs I like Where Have All The Good Times Gone?

For album covers (ha...another sub topic) I love (!!) Fair Warning's image. The painting is just like the record...knock your teeth out bad-ass.

I'd rank the Roth albums as follows:

Fair Warning

Van Halen

Van Halen II

A Different Kind Of Truth

Diver Down

Women & Children First

...with the caveat that I love all of those albums, so W&CF being "last" is no great insult to me. I just think it's the spottiest, start to finish.

I agree that W&CF has some spotty moments (I remember a Circus Magazine or Hit Parader article done when it was released where the band said it was intentionally a live in the studio album) but with And the Cradle Will Rock . . . and Everybody Wants Some both on it, it also has some of the most kick @ss Van Halen moments ever.

"Look. I'll pay you for it. What the f*ck . . ."

Very true. Two of their best ever.

Again, you can't get better than the original material that's on Diver Down. And the rest is evidence that Van Halen is the greatest cover band/bar band of all-time.

The man "wings it" and writes something like "Cathedral". A master.

• Like 1