I'm on a huge Van Halen Kick

Xanadoood

For a band with a ton of $$$, they sure did not spend it on their videos.

Indeed! The Jump video has got to have the highest cost benefit of any marketing piece ever done, and I don´t mean only in the music business!

Back to Diver Down, Eddie hated doing Dancin´in the Streets. But what I read is that the band had great fun during the tour that followed the record - Dave got lost in the Amazon jungle after their shows in Brazil, and talks about it in his book Crazy from the Heat. That actuallt reminds me I need to read that book again!

Van Halen is probably my favorite band and I consider them to be the greatest American hard rock band of all time.

Nobody loves those early albums more than I do. The way it makes you feel when listening to those, it's hard to describe. I just love it.

Ditto and ditto. And as far as the Diver Down discussion goes, I had always considered it a classic but the weakest of the Roth era until the reunion tours and I revisited Diver Down. I think its awesome. It lacks the continuity and cohesiveness of the other albums to a degree and there is no 'centerpiece' songs—ie. your Unchained, your Everybody Wants Some. DD is five covers, three instrumentals, two dusted-off unused rockers, with only two new full VH songs (and they are both brilliant). And this album kicks ass. Where Have All The Good Times Gone is my favorite cover song by VH. DD at least edges out WACF for '5th' place. I have 6 children when it comes to judging the original DLR albums. And 5150 is the one step kid I love almost as much as my 6 real ones, but I won't admit it.

I'm listening to a boot I have called Van Halen Live on Air which seems like its from the Diver Down tour (there's no 1984 tunes on it). Awesome. I'd love for the band to dig into its archives and put out a live album, either from the 1984 tour, so we get all the albums represented, or a Exit Stage Left style greatest hits live with stuff from all the albums from different tours. I wonder if the beef with Anthony makes this impossible.

I like the stuff with Sammy too, but Eddie's playing is so explosive during the Roth era. They're truly like two different bands.

• Like 1

I'm listening to a boot I have called Van Halen Live on Air which seems like its from the Diver Down tour (there's no 1984 tunes on it). Awesome. I'd love for the band to dig into its archives and put out a live album, either from the 1984 tour, so we get all the albums represented, or a Exit Stage Left style greatest hits live with stuff from all the albums from different tours. I wonder if the beef with Anthony makes this impossible.

I like the stuff with Sammy too, but Eddie's playing is so explosive during the Roth era. They're truly like two different bands.

Yeah, Eddie lost some of his fire during the Hagar years.. By the time Balance came out, he just seemed to be repeating himself and pulling out all the old licks .. But I still dig some of the Hagar stuff.

I think Live Without a Net is the best representation of the Hagar era, and seeing as it's soon after 1984, that's no surprise.. They were really fired up in that first Hagar tour

Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 1

I really like the Sammy era as well - I discovered the band when they broke up with Roth, unfortunately! Even Balance had a couple of very good songs - Aftershock, Seventh Seal etc., and Humans Being, the last song they recorded before Sammy left, for the Twister soundtrack, is great as well.

I really like the Sammy era as well - I discovered the band when they broke up with Roth, unfortunately! Even Balance had a couple of very good songs - Aftershock, Seventh Seal etc., and Humans Being, the last song they recorded before Sammy left, for the Twister soundtrack, is great as well.

Was just listening to Balance today at the gym. Is it just me, or does Seventh Seal have the same progression as Poundcake? Sounds exactly the same.

1. Fair Warning

2. Women and Children First

3. Van Halen

4. Van Halen II

5. 1984

6. Diver Down

5150 is the only Van Hagar album I think approaches the enthusiam, energy and brilliance of the Roth-era albums. How do you compare good to great?

For cover songs I like Where Have All The Good Times Gone?

For album covers (ha...another sub topic) I love (!!) Fair Warning's image. The painting is just like the record...knock your teeth out bad-ass.

I'd rank the Roth albums as follows:

Fair Warning

Van Halen

Van Halen II

A Different Kind Of Truth

Diver Down

Women & Children First

...with the caveat that I love all of those albums, so W&CF being "last" is no great insult to me. I just think it's the spottiest, start to finish.

Was just listening to Balance today at the gym. Is it just me, or does Seventh Seal have the same progression as Poundcake? Sounds exactly the same.

Yeah, I hear the similarity. But I like both songs anyway.

1. Fair Warning

2. Women and Children First

3. Van Halen

4. Van Halen II

5. 1984

6. Diver Down

7. A Different Kind of Truth

5150 is the only Van Hagar album I think approaches the enthusiam, energy and brilliance of the Roth-era albums. How do you compare good to great?

I forgot about A Different Kind of Truth, and yes, it's better than any Van Hagar album.

For album covers (ha...another sub topic) I love (!!) Fair Warning's image. The painting is just like the record...knock your teeth out bad-ass.

Fair Warning

Van Halen

Van Halen II

Diver Down

Women & Children First

...with the caveat that I love all of those albums, so W&CF being "last" is no great insult to me. I just think it's the spottiest, start to finish.

I agree that W&CF has some spotty moments (I remember a Circus Magazine or Hit Parader article done when it was released where the band said it was intentionally a live in the studio album) but with And the Cradle Will Rock . . . and Everybody Wants Some both on it, it also has some of the most kick @ss Van Halen moments ever.

"Look. I'll pay you for it. What the f*ck . . ."

Fair Warning

Van Halen

Van Halen II

Diver Down

Women & Children First

I agree that W&CF has some spotty moments (I remember a Circus Magazine or Hit Parader article done when it was released where the band said it was intentionally a live in the studio album) but with And the Cradle Will Rock . . . and Everybody Wants Some both on it, it also has some of the most kick @ss Van Halen moments ever.

"Look. I'll pay you for it. What the f*ck . . ."

Fools is great as well. And I don't know how In a Simple Rhyme didn't become a huge hit.