Have you ever cried over a celebrity death?

Mara

All the fuss over Paul Walker has me wondering. I don't think I've ever cried upon learning of the death of any celebrity. I don't know them, and they don't directly impact my life. I've been momentarily saddened at the loss of life if it's someone young, and shocked, but never hand-wringing distraught or brought to the point of tears. Recently I was sad to learn of the death of author Vince Flynn - loved his books - but I didn't come close to crying.

I did cry when watching some of the footage of Princess Diana's funeral, but it wasn't because her death left some huge void in my life. At one point during the procession, the cameras zoomed in on the casket, atop which sat a small bouquet of white flowers. The card accompanying them simply said, "Mummy". Then the camera pulled back and there were William and Harry, heads bowed, walking behind the casket carrying their mother's body.

I lost it then, but it wasn't so much specific sadness at the loss of Diana herself. It was the sad realization that two young boys had lost their mother.

• Like 4

No, not over a celebrity death.

But any time there's a Make A Wish story, or most of the time when Steve Hartman does a piece on CBS Sunday Morning, more often than not I will break down.

I think I only cried if there was a film or television portrayal that struck a particular chord. I cried at the end of "Imagine: John Lennon" because it was such an emotionally effective documentary, as well as at some YouTube footage of Carl Sagan's last interview with Charlie Rose. However I don't think it was so much the deaths themselves as it was the stories and cultural implications of their lives.

I think I may have shed a tear when I heard of the death of Payne Stewart (professional golfer for those who don't know). I had met him a couple times and have a signed photo with him. It was such a horrific way to go for one. Also, he and I had much in common. At his death we were around the same age, we had long standing marriages, a young daughter and son etc. He was my favorite player as long as I could remember and by all accounts a great fun loving guy. It made me teary mostly thinking of his children growing up without their dad and made me reflect on my own children had that been me in that plane that day... :(

RIP Payne... :rose:

http://assets.nydailynews.com/polopoly_fs/1.378757.1314478579!/img/httpImage/image.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_200/amd-zone-stewart-jpg.jpg

Edited by Narpet
  • Like 1

This really has me thinking...I can't think of any celebrity whose death has brought me to tears. But now I'm thinking of the young people I have lost from my life over the years... :(

After Gilda Radner died, I bought her memoire, "It's Always Something". I got pretty choked up while reading it. I've also been emotionally affected by the deaths of Arthur Ashe, Carl Sagan, and the crew of the Challenger space shuttle.

IMO, it's perfectly fine to mourn the passing of good people you've never met. I think it shows that we have real compassion, which can extend outside of our personal little worlds. :)

• Like 1

No, never have I grieved or mourned someone I didn't know. But I can however feel enough empathy to cry over someone I don't know, and never have met.

But in the case of Paul Walker I actually couldn't care less. :huh:

Edited by The Analog Grownup

I cried when we lost...

John Lennon 1980 / Roy Orbison 1988 / Freddie Mercury 1991 / George Harrison 2001 / Johnny Cash 2003

http://www.davidbrim.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/John-lennon-300x300.jpg

http://alive905.com.au/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/roy_orbison-300x300.jpeg http://cdn.pastemagazine.com/www/system/images/thumbs/www/articles/queen_9535_300x300.jpg?1336749241

http://www.8notes.com/wiki/images/GeorgeHarrison.jpg http://blog.tributapparel.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/johnny-cash-300x300.jpg

• Like 2

I cried when I heard that Bon Scott was gone. I was a huge AC/DC fan back in the day. Not that I broke down completely but I remember that I shed some tears and I felt some kind of loss that was really mystifying and outlandish. Years later I had the same feeling when George Harrison passed away.

How is it possible to grieve for someone you don't know or have never met?

For starters, one has to be able to look outside of one's private little universe. One has to possess true compassion for people in general (and not just the ones in one's private little universe).

We can get to know artists well enough by their songs, their novels, their poetry, their words and actions, their ideas. If all those things affect us emotionally, then we can make a connection with that artist, even if it's from a distance. We may never get to know their private lives, but we can sure get to know their thoughts and ideas and how they see the world.

When Carl Sagan died, I was more angry than sad. I was angry that such a brilliant man, who had done so much for our society, had to die (of cancer) while the crooks and scumbags that have been polluting our world got to live on. Oh, how we could use more Carl Sagans these days.... :yes:

I cry when I hear of innocent people dying tragically. The Jews in Germany, along with the myriad other groups, gets me everytime. Cambodia, Rwanda, etc. But celebrities? Aaliyah died in very unfortunate circumstances, much like Paul Walker. Whitney Houston and Michael Jackson both died in very pitiful conditions. Even Amy Winehouse. But one celebrity death stands out in particular:

I was hugely sad when Brittany Murphy died. Having suffered from an eating disorder myself for much of my youth, and having battled mental health problems in the past it really hit home how awful it all was when a woman I always admired and found to be funny, beautiful and charismatic had hidden serious issues for years until her untimely death made it all public. Maybe I am coming from a selfish angle, but I seriously remember being shocked, as I had always hoped her career would improve, as she was such a sweetheart in interviews and her movies. It was around that time when I think I was making a concious effort to get better, and I am happy to say I have improved tremendously. But to have those problems and to be famous? Well...I am glad to be unknown.

But to have those problems and to be famous? Well...I am glad to be unknown.

It seems to me that in many cases, it's the fame that creates those problems. Time after time, we see actors, especially young actors, literally go nuts because they can't handle the lifestyle. They can't maintain or enjoy a "normal life".

It's been asked a couple times if it's possible to mourn someone you don't know. To answer that I would say that when someone dies, we mourn our loss as much, if not more, than their loss. Of course we feel sad and lament that someone died before their time but I think most of us mourn that we have lost a source of inspiration or whatever effect this person had on our lives.

Having said that, the only famous person I ever cried for was Ronnie James Dio. It was completely unexpected though. When I heard, I was sad but that was about it. Then I went to a Dio discussion forum and started reading some of the things people there were saying about him and what he and his music meant to them and I just broke down.

• Like 1

No, never have I grieved or mourned someone I didn't know. But I can however feel enough empathy to cry over someone I don't know, and never have met.

I didn't even know who Paul Walker was until he died. (But I am sort of famous among people who know me for being completely out of touch with pop culture). That doesn't, of course, lessen the grief of the people who were close to him.

Treeduck - are people who didn't know Walker crying over his death? Watch some of the coverage of the fans visiting the crash scene.

• Like 1

I take it you weren't looking forward to Fast & Furious 7.