My departure from Rush

Freeze-Frame

Wait - ten f***ing pages and no one's mentioned the "Christ, what have you done?" line in 'The Pass'?

Or did I miss that in all the discussion about Judeo-Christian hegemony

Zzzzz

That's a figure of speech not a religious statement

How I imagine ucsteve667 feels right now:

http://i.imgur.com/6i5OadT.jpg

witty use of yer selfie

• Like 1

Wait - ten f***ing pages and no one's mentioned the "Christ, what have you done?" line in 'The Pass'?

Zzzzz

That's up to interpretation. Is "Christ" an epithet? Or is Neil rhetorically asking (and thus challenging or accusing) Christ why He made matrydom such an enticement?

• Like 1

Zzzzz

That's up to interpretation. Is "Christ" an epithet? Or is Neil rhetorically asking (and thus challenging or accusing) Christ why He made matrydom such an enticement?

Pretty obviously the first.

• Like 1

But seriously though, you're acting like a bit of a dick. I know I am being one too by trying to insult you, but I feel you're being a bit too condescending to Freeze-Frame. Like you're this intellectually superior warrior.

so then i guess it takes one to know one huh

Zzzzz

Um, no. Pretty obviously it can be either considering the rest of the lyrics.

Zzzzz

Considering the rest of the lyrics, if the second is a possibility, Peart needs a better translation of the Bible. Or reading comprehension skills.

Edited by laughedatbytime

witty use of yer selfie

That was a good 1. You gotta give it up :LOL:
  • Like 1

Zzzzz

Considering the rest of the lyrics, if the second is a possibility, Peart needs a better translation of the Bible. Or reading comprehension skills.

If I recall, this whole ambiguity was a heated discussion on tNMS back in the mid '90's. Both points had merit. And your claims above don't do anything for your own argument but couch it in another light. The concept of martyrdom for a cause, of dying because of (and not for) society's sins, was something Neil wrote about in Ghost Rider. He never mentioned "The Pass" specifically, but the allusion is obvious.

witty use of yer selfie

I love the Mountain Dews and the Febreez in the background...

• Like 1

witty use of yer selfie

I love the Mountain Dews and the Febreez in the background...

A couple old slices of pizza on the table and it could have been a Febreze commercial.... :)
  • Like 1

Zzzzz

If I recall, this whole ambiguity was a heated discussion on tNMS back in the mid '90's. Both points had merit. And your claims above don't do anything for your own argument but couch it in another light. The concept of martyrdom for a cause, of dying because of (and not for) society's sins, was something Neil wrote about in Ghost Rider. He never mentioned "The Pass" specifically, but the allusion is obvious.

Not sure what tNMS is, but...

a) In Christianity, suicide is a mortal sin...the only one, really, because it gives you no chance at repentance. Whether or not you agree with the theology, it's still a tenet of the religion..

b) Christ didn't lose the will to fight, or want to explode with rage, he wasn't looking for the world's applause, or "lost in the darkness". In his mind, it was "how he thought it would be" or that he "couldn't face life"; he was fulfilling a plan, by his account. You can argue that he was delusional, or that the thought itself is silly, but many—even most—of the lines don't apply in the least to the stated intentions of Christ.

I suppose all of that isn't proof that Peart DIDN'T write the song using Christ as the "example", but it does show a massive degree of ignorance of the storyline as regards Christ's mindset.

• Like 1

Another "Departure"..........

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/f6/Journey_Departure.jpg

• Like 1

It wasn't the greatest Departure for them either. There must have been something in the water around 1980. No band seemed immune....... :(
  • Like 3

Zzzzz

a) In Christianity, suicide is a mortal sin...the only one, really, because it gives you no chance at repentance. Whether or not you agree with the theology, it's still a tenet of the religion..

b) Christ didn't lose the will to fight, or want to explode with rage, he wasn't looking for the world's applause, or "lost in the darkness". In his mind, it was "how he thought it would be" or that he "couldn't face life"; he was fulfilling a plan, by his account. You can argue that he was delusional, or that the thought itself is silly, but many—even most—of the lines don't apply in the least to the stated intentions of Christ.

I suppose all of that isn't proof that Peart DIDN'T write the song using Christ as the "example", but it does show a massive degree of ignorance of the storyline as regards Christ's mindset.

tNMS was "The National Midnight Star". It was a daily Rush digest/listserve in the early- to mid-90's, closing down for good sometime in '99 or so.

http://white-barn.com/nms/subjects1.htm

You can find more comprehensive links in the archives here on rushforum.

I'm not saying that's how Neil interpreted Christ. I'm arguing that Neil's attributing someone's fatal decision to a misreading of Christ. Does that make sense?

It wasn't the greatest Departure for them either. There must have been something in the water around 1980. No band seemed immune....... :(

Well, there was one...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/51/Rush_Permanent_Waves.jpg

• Like 2

Zzzzz

tNMS was "The National Midnight Star". It was a daily Rush digest/listserve in the early- to mid-90's, closing down for good sometime in '99 or so.

http://white-barn.co...s/subjects1.htm

You can find more comprehensive links in the archives here on rushforum.

I'm not saying that's how Neil interpreted Christ. I'm arguing that Neil's attributing someone's fatal decision to a misreading of Christ. Does that make sense?

Thanks for the link...I'll have to look at it later.

I guess yours is one possible interpretation. And you seem to have more background with the subject than I do. It just seems like a bit of a stretch to me.

Well, there was one...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/51/Rush_Permanent_Waves.jpg

They weren't thirsty till about 85', depending on who you talk to.... :yes:
  • Like 1

But seriously though, you're acting like a bit of a dick. I know I am being one too by trying to insult you, but I feel you're being a bit too condescending to Freeze-Frame. Like you're this intellectually superior warrior.

"TAKES ONE TO KNOW ONE HUHUEHUEHUEHUE"

My, what a mature sounding post. Are you even trying or do you want to sound like an 11 year old boy at recess?

Your opinion on this matter has been

[ ] Validated

[X] discarded

But no that was bad.

Seriously, improve your arguing skills or go back to r/atheism.

• Like 2

Zzzzz

I think the illusion is obvious.

• Like 1

My, what a mature sounding post. Are you even trying or do you want to sound like an 11 year old boy at recess?

[ ] Validated

[X] discarded

But no that was bad.

I know you are but what am I?

At least I dont shape my world view on a 2000 year old myth

[ ] Validated

[X] discarded

But no that was bad.

You're American, you don't have a world view.

• Like 2

[ ] Validated

[X] discarded

But no that was bad.

You're American, you don't have a world view.

Spoken like a true Brit takin' the piss. Sorry big guy but not all of us Yanks fall for those reindeer games.

Nice one though. And good luck fishing for the sensitive ones.

:blaze:

• Like 1