What's your fav version of what song?

chasekratzer

Easy for me...... "In The End" live. The studio version, I don't even listen too... :codger: It's weird but the studio version if I had to think about it probably wouldn't make my top 40 even

One, two, buckle my shoe... : :haz: :guitar:

Edited by Narpet
  • Like 2

Live version of Half The World from the 2nd leg of the TFE tour when GED switched the lyrics a little

natural Science studio version as well as The Spirit of radio

Chemistry live when GED belts out , ELECTRICITTTY.

ESL version of Beneith Between Behind

Red Lenses live version with drum solo. ......man I could go on and on

Yeah Exit Stage Left has some of the very best sounding Rush songs ever.

Red Barchetta

Passage to Bangkok

Jacobs Ladder

Broons Bane/The Trees/Xanadu suite

La Villa Strangiato

Freewill

Just sick. Rush at the very peak of their live sonic brilliance.

And now with CA Live....they have finally rivaled some of those live performances. They are truly on fire on this new collection of live songs....just brilliant stuff.

Edited by Todem

Easy for me...... "In The End" live. The studio version, I don't even listen too... :codger: It's weird but the studio version if I had to think about it probably wouldn't make my top 40 even

I can honestly say that ANY bands live version always piques my interest more than a studio version...there are a few bands that I don't even listen to their studio albums, and only their live output (Gov't Mule, Dave Matthews, & Umphree's McGee come to mind right off the bat)

But for Rush...I'd have to say that my FAVORITE song (since it was the song that turned me on to the band) HAS to be Working Man from ATWAS.

• Like 4

I can honestly say that ANY bands live version always piques my interest more than a studio version...there are a few bands that I don't even listen to their studio albums, and only their live output (Gov't Mule, Dave Matthews, & Umphree's McGee come to mind right off the bat)

I agree. There is always something more exciting about the live stuff. And GM, DMB, and UM kick ass live. When I used to have Sirius, I'd listen to the whatever that Jam station was called where all they played was bands that jammed out live and the three mentioned always kicked ass!!!

• Like 1

I enjoy a lot of songs more on the live albums than the studio versions...some examples...

Xanadu (ESL)

Passage to Bangkok (ESL)

Natural Science (Diff. Stages) ...favorite version of my favorite Rush song

2112 (Diff. Stages)

Spirit of Radio (Diff. Stages)

By-Tor & the Snow Dog (RiR)

La Villa Strangiato (Time Machine)

Entre Nous/Mission (S&A Live) ...I have to listen to both, back-to-back...can't have one without the other

• Like 1

And E...SL Red Barchetta.

Yeah Exit Stage Left has some of the very best sounding Rush songs ever.

Red Barchetta

Incorrect! At least with this song :P

The R30 performance of Red Barchetta is flawless, and might be one of their single best live recordings of all time.

R30 has a ton of best versions. Spirit of Radio and Limelight sound best on that album as well. The way that lingering note is captured in Alex's Limelight solo in R30 is unbeaten on any other live recording, it gives me goosebumps.

• Like 2

While I love R-30's Red Barchetta which sizzles......I prefer the classic tones of the ESL version. It just sounds so perfect and captures that era perfectly.

The Rush in Rio version of Resist, even though it makes me sad.

Oh, and the Clockwork Angels tour version of Headlong Flight. That drum solo was just too good.

Edited by thegirlintherushshirt

I would never have said this decades ago when concerts were always disappointing because no way could any band ever reproduce the album versions of their songs (with the exception of Frampton Comes Alive). But...today I prefer whatever is done in concert over the album version - for the most part.

I picked up Roll the Bones this morning. It was on sale and CHEAP. It is the remix. The sound is awful. Not as full.

Bravado is just one song that is done better in concert than on the album. The way it ends on the album is awful.

Dear me! I think I may have been here too long. I'm starting to sound like most everyone else here. :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

The "Bravado" and the "Where's My Thing" from the Rush-n-Roulette (Oakland '92) disc.

Powerful, histrionic, unfettered.

I would never have said this decades ago when concerts were always disappointing because no way could any band ever reproduce the album versions of their songs (with the exception of Frampton Comes Alive). But...today I prefer whatever is done in concert over the album version - for the most part.

I picked up Roll the Bones this morning. It was on sale and CHEAP. It is the remix. The sound is awful. Not as full.

Bravado is just one song that is done better in concert than on the album. The way it ends on the album is awful.

Dear me! I think I may have been here too long. I'm starting to sound like most everyone else here. :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

Quick story (I think) when it comes to Roll The Bones. My son and I had watched the Rush In Rio stuff a few times and at that time he was already a fan (around 2004). He being a musician himself really enjoyed and still does their music. The Roll The Bones version on Rush In Rio was very cool and I thought to myself, "Hey wait a minute, maybe the late 80's and 90's Rush wasn't as bad as I originally had thought". We went to Best Buy not long after that and I picked up Roll The Bones. We were in his room doing something and I put it on. :scared: I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I knew rightly or wrongly I had sort of written off a section of their catalog when I was busy with real life there for a while. Truth be told, "that listening" really confirmed that maybe my thought's had been right all along. I never listened to it again. That wasn't the Rush that I had come to know and love...... :(

Quick story (I think) when it comes to Roll The Bones. My son and I had watched the Rush In Rio stuff a few times and at that time he was already a fan (around 2004). He being a musician himself really enjoyed and still does their music. The Roll The Bones version on Rush In Rio was very cool and I thought to myself, "Hey wait a minute, maybe the late 80's and 90's Rush wasn't as bad as I originally had thought". We went to Best Buy not long after that and I picked up Roll The Bones. We were in his room doing something and I put it on. :scared: I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I knew rightly or wrongly I had sort of written off a section of their catalog when I was busy with real life there for a while. Truth be told, "that listening" really confirmed that maybe my thought's had been right all along. I never listened to it again. That wasn't the Rush that I had come to know and love...... :(

Yes, but Narpet, when they do those songs in concert, it is something totally different.

Who was their recording engineer back then? And their producer? I was thinking how the late Tony Clarke (who was the record producer of the first seven Moodies' albums) would never have let anything that sounded so bad get out.

Maybe it's my headphones? But it can't be, because the Rio DVD sounds great.

No matter what the sound, I still love the songs. I just love them better when they are done in concert.

• Like 1

Yes, but Narpet, when they do those songs in concert, it is something totally different.

Who was their recording engineer back then? And their producer? I was thinking how the late Tony Clarke (who was the record producer of the first seven Moodies' albums) would never have let anything that sounded so bad get out.

No matter what the sound, I still love the songs. I just love them better when they are done in concert.

Definition.....

Stubborn: Having or showing dogged determination not to change one's attitude or position on something, esp. in spite of good arguments or reason's to do so.

I think I resemble this remark :( Turning more and more in to my father every day :codger: :P

I retract what I wrote above.

Don't ever listen to a CD on the computer via Windows Media.

• Like 3