Winter 2013 - 2014

RushCanuck

My yard looks like a swamp from all of the melting snow. It was 52 yesterday and 48 today. What a mess. I'd rather it be colder and keep things frozen instead of this mess.

My yard looks like a swamp from all of the melting snow. It was 52 yesterday and 48 today. What a mess. I'd rather it be colder and keep things frozen instead of this mess.

Would it make you feel better if I post another pic of my yard? :D

No, it would be depressing. I know I've got at least another month of this crap. :LOL:

• Like 2

No, it would be depressing. I know I've got at least another month of this crap. :LOL:

Yeah, it'll be in the low 60s up our way today, with severe storms all but sure for tonight, between seven and midnight.

Yeah, it'll be in the low 60s up our way today, with severe storms all but sure for tonight, between seven and midnight.

Yeah and now we've got a tornado watch going on until midnight. Honestly I'll take the freezing weather over that.

It will be warm tomorrow, but warm in winter is usually not good.

I beg to differ on that point. Warm in winter means, to me, a relief from the cold harshness of winter, awakening feelings of the spring to come.

Right now I am experiencing a period of warm relief from the up-until-now harsh winter, and I welcome it.

I beg to differ on that point. Warm in winter means, to me, a relief from the cold harshness of winter, awakening feelings of the spring to come.

Right now I am experiencing a period of warm relief from the up-until-now harsh winter, and I welcome it.

I was wondering if the fear of tornadoes expressed in several posts above as a result of cold winter going to substantially warmer all of a sudden might be a regional thing where the posters lived, and not applicable here where I live, but my brother (who is a park ranger and who is consequently supposed to be weather wise and know this shit) just sent me a text warning me to "look out for tornadoes tonight"

I responded that I would not look out for tornadoes, since there was nothing I could do to affect whether they might suddenly appear and hit my house or not.

That sort of thing is just a matter of blind stupid luck.

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert

I was wondering if the fear of tornadoes expressed in several posts above as a result of cold winter going to substantially warmer all of a sudden might be a regional thing where the posters lived, and not applicable here where I live, but my brother (who is a park ranger and who is consequently supposed to be weather wise and know this shit) just sent me a text warning me to "look out for tornadoes tonight"

I responded that I would not look out for tornadoes, since there was nothing I could do to affect whether they might suddenly appear and hit my house or not.

Maybe so, but listening to a weather radio or the tv for a tornado warning could save your life if one were coming and you were able to get under cover in time.

• Like 1

Maybe so, but listening to a weather radio or the tv for a tornado warning could save your life if one were coming and you were able to get under cover in time.

True.

The tornadoes are luck, but the big straight line winds are pretty much inevitable and can do plenty of damage. As someone with 100 or so trees in my yard, big wind gusts have gifted me with hours of cleanup time a few times.

60 degrees or better this time of year here is nearly certain to bring high winds and rain, tornadoes or not.

After two days of 40 degrees, we got a solid inch or two of freezing rain......and now it's going way below zero AGAIN.

It's like the surface of Europa around here...... :rage:

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 2

I've tried to avoid posting in this thread recently (although I could have whined here almost every day). But today was just too much. White out driving conditions, hundreds of car accidents. Bitterly cold with Artic air. Tonight it's supposed to go down to - 28 C with a windchill near - 40 C. The long range forecast for the next 2 weeks sucks too. Maybe on March 13, it will 'warm' to 0 C (32 F). Enough already! :rage:

I've tried to avoid posting in this thread recently (although I could have whined here almost every day). But today was just too much. White out driving conditions, hundreds of car accidents. Bitterly cold with Artic air. Tonight it's supposed to go down to - 28 C with a windchill near - 40 C. The long range forecast for the next 2 weeks sucks too. Maybe on March 13, it will 'warm' to 0 C (32 F). Enough already! :rage:

Your weather is on its way here and should arrive by tomorrow night. This is one of the coldest winters I have ever experienced in a very long time. It is not so much the single digit temps that are bad, it is the accompanying northeast wind that is a killer and sends the wind chill temp down to minus twenty or so.

Gearing up for yet another winter storm on Sunday and Monday...significant ice in some places, before the snow. None of the local weather people are even saying how much we might get. Edited by Blue J

Gearing up for yet another winter storm on Sunday and Monday...significant ice in some places, before the snow. None of the local weather people are even saying how much we might get.

I've heard 4-6" and then 4-8". I hope we don't get much in the way of ice.

Gearing up for yet another winter storm on Sunday and Monday...significant ice in some places, before the snow. None of the local weather people are even saying how much we might get.

I've heard anywhere from 2-4" of snow, all the way up to 13". Just yesterday, I heard several different things- along with varying amounts of ice. All it means to me is that nobody really knows what's going to happen! And the local forecasters have blown it a couple of times this winter already, so...I'm just going to wait and see.

I've heard anywhere from 2-4" of snow, all the way up to 13". Just yesterday, I heard several different things- along with varying amounts of ice. All it means to me is that nobody really knows what's going to happen! And the local forecasters have blown it a couple of times this winter already, so...I'm just going to wait and see.

As long as they err on the low side.

Monday morning, 4:00am, March 3rd......and it's 17 DEGREES BELOW ZERO.......

It's MARCH, damnit!! MAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRCH!!!!!!! :rage: :rage: :rage:

• Like 1

Monday morning, 4:00am, March 3rd......and it's 17 DEGREES BELOW ZERO.......

It's MARCH, damnit!! MAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRCH!!!!!!! :rage: :rage: :rage:

The temp officially hit -21 Monday morning. The coldest day of the entire winter, and it was in MARCH!!!!

The snow is shin-high in my back yard. I got to know that first-hand as I was out there last night, looking for dog poo to clean up, so that my dog doesn't eat it.

Yet another reason I'm a cat person! :LOL:
  • Like 1