Winter 2013 - 2014

RushCanuck

Haven't had this much snow here in quite a while. System has been circling Charlotte today. Still coming down but tapering off. Have been hearing some limbs snapping every once in a while. Power has flickered off twice.

Unfortunately, reports say there has been two fatalities associated with it. One from a falling limb and the other a motoring accident.

Otherwise it has been very pretty to watch.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/Inthend_/winter2014003_zps1a00ee3d.jpg

Edited by Inthend

Looks like temp just got up far enough to melt it off power lines. Think we're going to be good.

I just sent an email to a relative of mine in Charlotte yesterday to find out how things were, because I thought there might be power outages and so forth. Glad to hear if it's not that bad.

Edited by Blue J

Roads here where I live in northwestern SC finally became free and clear, for the most part, of ice and snow, this afternoon.

This area has been pretty much shut down from Tuesday afternoon, till today, Friday. Big snow/ice event for us.

6-8" of snow in area, with layers of ice in that.

I must say I am not exactly complaining about getting several days off from work because of it.

Looks like temp just got up far enough to melt it off power lines. Think we're going to be good.

I just sent an email to a relative of mine in Charlotte yesterday to find out how things were, because I thought there might be power outages and so forth. Glad to hear if it's not that bad.

The power outages were not so bad as was feared they might be. I never lost power, nor did anybody I know personally in this region.

Instead, it was a glorious bit of winter wonderland intruding so heavily into the normal scheme of things that it disrupted them entirely, a bit of wonderful chaos, without the personal inconveniences of power outage.

Pretty damned cool, actually.

• Like 1

A little rainy ice today in Myrtle Beach SC. Trees and power lines are covered and heavy. The roads are fine. A look out my back slider this morning. A big tree limb fell out of one of my pines if you can see it on the ground. Hate those f**king pines anyway.... :)

http://s29.postimg.org/4wbpuqlfb/IMAG0578.jpghttp://s29.postimg.org/expqvjd9z/IMAG0579_BURST002_COVER.jpg

I have a friend that lives just outside of Columbia SC and she sent me a picture of the sleet and ice they're having. She said they've had over 3 inches of sleet, snow and some freezing rain so far.

You kind of get spoiled living here. I had forgotten how freak'in heavy that ice is when it saturates the trees and power lines. There are at least 4 good size tree limbs that fell within view out my back slider. The trees are sagging everywhere. Good thing here is it will all be a distant memory by tomorrow... :)

Well plus the fact that pine trees are like toothpicks and their branches break if you just look at them. If I lived down there I'd cut all the pine trees down around my yard. Those things are a menace.

:no:

A little rainy ice today in Myrtle Beach SC. Trees and power lines are covered and heavy. The roads are fine. A look out my back slider this morning. A big tree limb fell out of one of my pines if you can see it on the ground. Hate those f**king pines anyway.... :)

http://s29.postimg.org/4wbpuqlfb/IMAG0578.jpghttp://s29.postimg.org/expqvjd9z/IMAG0579_BURST002_COVER.jpg

I have a friend that lives just outside of Columbia SC and she sent me a picture of the sleet and ice they're having. She said they've had over 3 inches of sleet, snow and some freezing rain so far.

You kind of get spoiled living here. I had forgotten how freak'in heavy that ice is when it saturates the trees and power lines. There are at least 4 good size tree limbs that fell within view out my back slider. The trees are sagging everywhere. Good thing here is it will all be a distant memory by tomorrow... :)

Well plus the fact that pine trees are like toothpicks and their branches break if you just look at them. If I lived down there I'd cut all the pine trees down around my yard. Those things are a menace.

How dare you all disparage the Southern Pine Trees?

I think you should be sentenced to listen to this song, over and over again, until you begin to appreciate southern pines.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCMsUQmS0Bo

Edited by Dread Pirate Robert

I think you should be sentenced to listen to this song, over and over again, until you begin to appreciate southern pines.

Damn. I take back what I said. Jeez..... :)

Damn. I take back what I said. Jeez..... :)

I sentenced you lightly. I can think of far worse punishments than listening to Jason Isbell's "alabama pines" over and over again.

I think it is a great song, from an underappreciated artist.

We lost power for 52 hours but made it just fine. Went into "home survival mode".
  • Like 1

The snow is shin-high in my back yard. I got to know that first-hand as I was out there last night, looking for dog poo to clean up, so that my dog doesn't eat it.

Yes, it's true- I am living the dream.

Back on the subject of the weather, though- this is the snowiest winter we've had in southwest Ohio in ages and ages.

We lost power for 52 hours but made it just fine. Went into "home survival mode".

Excellent. Always like being prepared with enough food, toiletries, blankets and so forth. And a nice warm fire in the fireplace, it helps, too.

• Like 2

The snow is shin-high in my back yard. I got to know that first-hand as I was out there last night, looking for dog poo to clean up, so that my dog doesn't eat it.

Back on the subject of the weather, though- this is the snowiest winter we've had in southwest Ohio in ages and ages.

I heard it was the 7th snowiest winter on record but that was a couple of snowfalls ago.

:LOL: Sorry but the dog sh*t part struck my juvenile brain :LOL:

I heard it was the 7th snowiest winter on record but that was a couple of snowfalls ago.

As of today, it is the fourth snowiest on record- 45.1 inches so far, officially- maybe more, or less, depending on exactly where you live around Dayton. I think you got more yesterday than we did up here.

:LOL: Sorry but the dog sh*t part struck my juvenile brain :LOL:

I only wish I were joking about that...happy to provide a laugh for you, though.

• Like 1

A big snow is on the way up here, and I can say without reservation that we're FARKING SICK OF SNOW!!!! :rage:

We've been getting small snows all winter long, and it just keeps piling up. We don't need a big snow...we don't need ANY snow!! NO MORE!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Was very nice here today. Got a chance to clean up some debris in the front yard. It's supposed to be in the 60's all week and may reach 70. I am going to spend the week cleaning the entire yard and flower beds (pine needles, leaves etc) to get ready for my spring flowers to start popping up..... :D :outtahere:

This crazy winter just got crazier for me. My driveway is about 500 ft long, and after I left for work it drifted shut as it does on occasion. It decided to (freezing) rain like hell on top of the foot of snow already on the ground. All that water just soaked into the snow, so I was essentially shoveling rain water plus the snow. The heaviest snow I've ever shoveled. So it felt silly to be in rain gear, shoveling snow looking like the Gorton's fisherman (I have a bright orange rain suit, because I bought it originally for motorcycling).

Then it got absurd. As it got dark,the wind picked up. My driveway has its own climate. The wind just whips through there because it's surrounded by farm fields. The house is kind of protected back by the woods. It can be calm at the house and gale force winds at the end of the driveway. I felt like those guys on Deadliest Catch. The rain, wind and dark was disorienting, and I'm out there shoveling snow that's about 40 pounds per scoop. I said a few bad words. I did hum The Way The Wind Blows a few times.

It only took me about 90 minutes, but I swear it seemed like midnight when I was done. The good news is I think the snow is too wet to drift. I think. The bad news is I'm sure the roads will be solid ice tomorrow.

We had a thunderstorm with freezing rain today. I saw flash of light and then I heard the thunder. My dogs were like "what the hell is that?"

We had a thunderstorm with freezing rain today. I saw flash of light and then I heard the thunder. My dogs were like "what the hell is that?"

I heard that, too, yesterday afternoon- I was at work in Franklin when that happened.

Also noteworthy from yesterday was that it was thirty degrees during the day, with a wind chill of seven, at one point. And it was raining. I don't think I'd ever experienced that before. I stepped outside, just to see what it felt like, exactly- with the rain pelting down, and the winter temps. Then I stepped back inside.

• Like 1

Hopefully this will inspire some of you. Beautiful weather this week. Had the wheelbarrow out today doing some yard cleaning in prep for some spring flowers..... :D

http://s12.postimg.org/p4klcaen1/IMAG0597.jpg http://s12.postimg.org/5t88d6g7x/IMAG0599.jpg

:dweez:

I took a picture of my buried Christmas decorations this morning. We got 6" more of snow yesterday and my 4' snowman in the front yard is almost completely buried. I got the lights off the gutters, but the stuff in the yard is frozen there until spring.

I just busted my knee bad on the ice- I was being careful, but still! I actually slid down a small hillon my stomach and my legs went under the car >.<

I heard and felt it pop, I popped it back into place and am taking it easy. It hurts so bad, omg I wanna cry- and I've been through worse injuries :P

Just gotta smile, it's all good :)

Eff you, winter. Seriously.

Sunny and 40 yesterday and today.........but next week, it's going back down to -10..........

:rage: :rage: :rage: :rage: :rage:

• Like 1