The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug

goose

To be honest, I do not know if I'll be seeing it. I saw Part One, and afterwards, I felt nothing. I do believe that my desire to see 3+ hour films from Middle Earth has been exhausted. After the brilliance of the LOTR Trilogy, any more films from that world just seem anti-climactic and redundant...... :sigh:

Aww, screw it. I'll go see it anyway.... :laughing guy:

• Like 2

Part one was the last time I saw a movie in the theater besides going to a couple of Riff Trax live events. I have the 3-D blu ray and was going to watch it before the second one came out, but they just released an extended version. I'm starting to think I may wait until the 75hr version of all six movies is available to watch it again.

To be honest, I do not know if I'll be seeing it. I saw Part One, and afterwards, I felt nothing. I do believe that my desire to see 3+ hour films from Middle Earth has been exhausted. After the brilliance of the LOTR Trilogy, any more films from that world just seem anti-climactic and redundant...... :sigh:

Those are actually my thoughts. I thought the first installment of the Hobbit was too much, but that's Jackson. I'm anxious to see Smaug!

• Like 1

We just watched the extended version of fellowship tonight, it's been a couple of years since we watched it. Conclusion: The emotion and feeling the "fellowship" exudes far surpasses the cold and lifeless effort that the first installment of the Hobbit was. We decided it was a combination of two things, the characters and the music. In the LOTR trilogy, both those elements were seamless almost flawless. However, the Hobbit failed to create characters that compelled us. Sadly I actually found myself hoping in some implausible way that Gollum would get the ring back from Bilbo. And then there's the recycled music the Hobbit borrowed from the epic trilogy which I found to be very uninspiring, they crammed it into scenes which had no connection to the scenes in the original trilogy. That pissed me off.

Regardless, i too will shell out the $40.00 to go see it in IMAX, and vainly aspire that it will somehow be epic.

Edited by alphseeker
  • Like 3

I feel the exact same way but I really might not go see it. I didn't see the first Hobbit movie at the movies. It's hard to say.

The emotion and feeling the "fellowship" exudes far surpasses the cold and lifeless effort that the first installment of the Hobbit was. We decided it was a combination of two things, the characters and the music. In the LOTR trilogy, both those elements were seamless almost flawless. However, the Hobbit failed to create characters that compelled us.

I concur.

• Like 1

Those are actually my thoughts. I thought the first installment of the Hobbit was too much, but that's Jackson. I'm anxious to see Smaug!

I'm anxious too.

I hope Smaug is as well done as Vermithrax Pejorative was done in Dragonslayer back in '81.

Edited by OGr8imL84AD8inF8sBlackSedan
  • Like 2

Hobbit was way better on the second viewing (in the lower frame rate at that) so I'm looking forward to Smaug. Mainly because I want to see how much Necromancer/Sauron/White Council material is in it. I am NOT looking forward to all this Tauriel & Legolas nonsense and the inevitable & impossible CGI fighting they do.

The Hobbit (as a book) is nowhere near LOTR in emotional depth so we'll see how it plays out with Jackson & his merry band of bastardizers. After they prison raped characters & story in the first trilogy I'm skeptical I'll recognize anything besides some passing allusions to what actually happens in the book.

• Like 2

Hobbit was way better on the second viewing (in the lower frame rate at that) so I'm looking forward to Smaug. Mainly because I want to see how much Necromancer/Sauron/White Council material is in it. I am NOT looking forward to all this Tauriel & Legolas nonsense and the inevitable & impossible CGI fighting they do.

The Hobbit (as a book) is nowhere near LOTR in emotional depth so we'll see how it plays out with Jackson & his merry band of bastardizers. After they prison raped characters & story in the first trilogy I'm skeptical I'll recognize anything besides some passing allusions to what actually happens in the book.

BTW...here's something I hadn't seen before: Everything wrong with part 1:

Pretty funny!
  • Like 2

BTW...here's something I hadn't seen before: Everything wrong with part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LDhsH79jAY Pretty funny!

I could easily watch the entire movie played at double speed to the Benny Hill Theme :LOL:
  • Like 1

The Hobbit (as a book) is nowhere near LOTR in emotional depth so we'll see how it plays out with Jackson & his merry band of bastardizers.

I agree.

The Hobbit (as a book) is nowhere near LOTR in emotional depth so we'll see how it plays out with Jackson & his merry band of bastardizers.

I agree.

Speaking of the book, I'm reading it to my son (slightly abridged). We read through the dwarves arrival, dining and dishes song and then...watched the Rankin-Bass clip of what we read. We'll do installments like that over the next couple of weeks.

Chrome Browser The Hobbit: The Desolation Of Smaug - A Journey Through Middle Earth experience:

http://middle-earth....dell/experience

Only on Chrome.

http://i.imgur.com/Z801KCM.png

Pretty sweet!

Interesting Rivendell story. My son's girlfriend said to me one day when he and I were discussing something Rush.... "Anyone who wrote a song called or about Rivendell can't be all bad". :)
  • Like 2

Can't wait for the next installment of the Hobbit. Looks much, much better than the first. :codger:

That wouldn't be too hard to do. The first part was pretty forgettable.

• Like 3