Did Alex rip off the ending riff in Xanadu

losingit2k

Did Alex rip the ending Riff to Xanadu?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Did Alex rip the ending Riff to Xanadu?

• Yes
    • No

His voice. A vocalist uses his voice as an instrument. I thought you of all people would know that. Whose needs the Penguin Book of Children's musical instruments now?

Ok. You do know that the voice is an instrument in a metaphorical Sienese?

No not metaphorical! If utilized correctly, you learn it, you study it and you have to take care of it just like any other instrument. Just cause you don't place it in case after, doesn't lessen its value as an instrument. You are barking up the wrong tree here dude and really showing your ignorance on the subject. Obvisously, you never studied voice.

Ok clever clogs. Show me where a vocalist has won an instrumentalist award purely for his voice.

Semantics.

I'm disappointed that this sort of argument isn't beneath you, Tony.

Edited by GeddysMullet

His voice. A vocalist uses his voice as an instrument. I thought you of all people would know that. Whose needs the Penguin Book of Children's musical instruments now?

No not metaphorical! If utilized correctly, you learn it, you study it and you have to take care of it just like any other instrument. Just cause you don't place it in case after, doesn't lessen its value as an instrument. You are barking up the wrong tree here dude and really showing your ignorance on the subject. Obvisously, you never studied voice.

Ok clever clogs. Show me where a vocalist has won an instrumentalist award purely for his voice.

Semantics.

I'm disappointed that this sort of argument isn't beneath you, Tony.

Like a mom telling her son

Part of the problem is some may think of Rush as originators or innovators. As creative as Rush is, they have never been originators or innovators. They ride the waves they like best.

It's true. They basically just copied all the heavy metal progressive bands that came before them.

I couldn't disagree more. They are extremely innovative and progressive. The fact that they are a genre all their own should say enough. They haven't invented any new chords but you cannot deny their creativity. Rush broke new ground constantly throughout their illustrious career.

Which "new ground" would that be, exactly?

Really? Time signatures have been around for a long time but Rush's ability to shift in and out of different time signatures without sounding as such has changed a lot of views on music. Geddy's bass playing is the most melodic bass playing I have ever heard. Sure, Paul McCartney started bringing bass into the foreground but Geddy turned it into an aggressive lead instrument. Neal's use of percussion became a staple of prog bands. The use of more than just a groove or "Keith Moon style" all over the place drumming, Neal made the drums more of an instrument for the band.

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Chris Squire was making the bass an "aggressive lead instrument" before Rush even cut an album. Time signatures? King Crimson, Genesis, ELP and Yes, amongst others, were dancing around different time signatures before Rush and directly influenced Rush.

You can't rewrite history to suit your fanboy fantasies, and your post is clearly embarrassing.

I'm 52 and formally a senior Admin at Progarchives and you ask me if I listen???

Grow up.

Tony, its only polite to offer a "reach around" after that kind of response. Kennylee just got schooled by the pirate captain.

He wants shagging up the arse for being a tosser, but it's not my style.

Maybe a trip to the library to dig up the Penguin Book of Children's Progressive Rock would suffice?

I am all grown up. Your attacking response is pretty lame. Why can't we have a different opinion without resorting to name calling? That is a great example of maturity.

I feel Rush made greater strides and has been very innovative as is agreed upon by the bands you have mentioned. I've been playing music for over 30 years and I know the complexity of Rush as compared to other bands. I am not here to argue, just state my opinion.

Thanks for the attack.

Telling you that you are wrong is not an attack. You may have an opinion on the quality of the music but the chronology is fixed. Your opinion is as stupid as saying that the Sun revolves around the Earth.

Rush have been more innovative than King Crimson? In what way exactly? I prefer Rush but let's not go sucking their collective dick, eh?

Not an attack after telling me my opinion is stupid. OK.

I'm not saying those other bands weren't also innovative. I'm just saying Rush took it to a different level. I'm not re-writing history, just giving Rush their props in history. I'm not denouncing the other bands accomplishments, just stating that Rush also has them.

Jeez, lighten up.

If you think that Rush "took it to different level" over Yes then you are an idiot. One could reasonably opine that Steve Howe and Bill Bruford are clearly better than Lifeson and Peart and Squire and Lee are equals according to most judges.

Yes But Squire barely sings lead or plays keyboards and Bruford can't write lyrics if his life depended on it. I'm not touching the Howe -Lifeson issue.

What instrument does a lyricist play? In fact what musical instrument does a vocalist play?

Clever clog #1 here. Bobby Mcferrin (hope I spelled that right) won a Grammy for "Don't worry be happy" and all sounds off that cut are his voice. Close right? Close as we'll get methinks

How many classic blues riffs did Jimmy Page cop?

Never mind that, what does Jake Holmes think!

Hmmm. What does John Holmes think? That seems to be a bigger question...

Great question. The correct answer is all of them. Page used them in different and innovative ways which is why he is one of the great players of our time. It isn't about the chords, it's about what you do with them.

I've met more than one guitar player who describe "Lifeson chords" as hand wrenching exercises. Alex addressed it when he talked about having to fill out the sound with "larger" chords because they were a three piece band. Alex has shown quite a bit of creativity with his chord choices and phrasing. Alex sounds like Alex and Neal sounds like Neal. Just like Jimi sounds like Jimi, Steevie sounds like Steevie, Ritchie sounds like Ritchie, etc. Even when they all play the trademarked Neal Schon Am chord.

Although, I've heard Alex does pay a handsome royalty to Neal Schon for using the Am chord.

Neal's a (insert profane word or phrase here) anyway, so who gives a crap about what he thinks. Mr. Morality :eyeroll:

Great question. The correct answer is all of them. Page used them in different and innovative ways which is why he is one of the great players of our time. It isn't about the chords, it's about what you do with them.

I've met more than one guitar player who describe "Lifeson chords" as hand wrenching exercises. Alex addressed it when he talked about having to fill out the sound with "larger" chords because they were a three piece band. Alex has shown quite a bit of creativity with his chord choices and phrasing. Alex sounds like Alex and Neal sounds like Neal. Just like Jimi sounds like Jimi, Steevie sounds like Steevie, Ritchie sounds like Ritchie, etc. Even when they all play the trademarked Neal Schon Am chord.

Although, I've heard Alex does pay a handsome royalty to Neal Schon for using the Am chord.

Is this true? What is this handsome amount, approximately?

I mean it sounds similar, but even if it is the exact same part, the songs are completely different. This is like comparing Pink Floyd's Goodbye Blue Sky and Metallica's Fade To Black. Eventually, songwriters are going to have to recycle material, new and old. There are only so many riffs and sequences of notes that are rhythmic enough to fit together.

I mean it sounds similar, but even if it is the exact same part, the songs are completely different. This is like comparing Pink Floyd's Goodbye Blue Sky and Metallica's Fade To Black. Eventually, songwriters are going to have to recycle material, new and old. There are only so many riffs and sequences of notes that are rhythmic enough to fit together.

Some are incapable of grasping this truth.

Not to be too dramatic, but I am pretty shaken by this finding. I always considered the Schon Chorus/Powerchord/Arpeggiation to be exclusive/unique to Alex, and only Alex. This is why I am terribly disappointed. Its not authentic to him. It really is a hard pill to swallow. It won't make me hate the band, but has impacted my respect for Alex. He's still a great guitarist and glad he did have the ear to realize the potential greatness of Neal's passage and elaborate on it. It still hurts nonetheless.

wah.

Not to be too dramatic, but I am pretty shaken by this finding. I always considered the Schon Chorus/Powerchord/Arpeggiation to be exclusive/unique to Alex, and only Alex. This is why I am terribly disappointed. Its not authentic to him. It really is a hard pill to swallow. It won't make me hate the band, but has impacted my respect for Alex. He's still a great guitarist and glad he did have the ear to realize the potential greatness of Neal's passage and elaborate on it. It still hurts nonetheless.

You most definitley hate Rush. For a self-professed man of insight and intelligence you seem convieniently oblivious to your ways. Accept the truth, it shall set you free.

The truth is, Alex's signature sound is NOT his signature sound. He brazenly nicked Schon in an obscure Journey instrumental, and by doing so, duped his fans and alienated one of his longer and more dedicated followers (me). Edited by GeminiRising79

The truth is, Alex's signature sound is NOT his signature sound. He brazenly nicked Schon in an obscure Journey instrumental, and by doing so, duped his fans and alienated one of his longer and more dedicated followers, me.

Get over it. The problem is you. No one was duped. You have a very warped sense of what music should be. Wah wah wah, boo hoo.

The truth is, Alex's signature sound is NOT his signature sound. He brazenly nicked Schon in an obscure Journey instrumental, and by doing so, duped his fans and alienated one of his longer and more dedicated followers, me.

This shouldn't even need to be explained: Neal Schon did not invent the Arpeggio.

• Like 3

Seriously, Alex was doing similar things as early as Fly by Night.

This shouldn't even need to be explained: Neal Schon did not invent the Arpeggio.

We're witnessing the genesis of his victimized fan routine. Maybe his forthcoming material won't seem nearly as contrived. :LOL:

Edited by substancewithoutstyle