Did Alex rip off the ending riff in Xanadu

losingit2k

Did Alex rip the ending Riff to Xanadu?  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Did Alex rip the ending Riff to Xanadu?

• Yes
    • No

Part of the problem is some may think of Rush as originators or innovators. As creative as Rush is, they have never been originators or innovators. They ride the waves they like best.

It's true. They basically just copied all the heavy metal progressive bands that came before them.

I couldn't disagree more. They are extremely innovative and progressive. The fact that they are a genre all their own should say enough. They haven't invented any new chords but you cannot deny their creativity. Rush broke new ground constantly throughout their illustrious career.

Which "new ground" would that be, exactly?

Really? Time signatures have been around for a long time but Rush's ability to shift in and out of different time signatures without sounding as such has changed a lot of views on music. Geddy's bass playing is the most melodic bass playing I have ever heard. Sure, Paul McCartney started bringing bass into the foreground but Geddy turned it into an aggressive lead instrument. Neal's use of percussion became a staple of prog bands. The use of more than just a groove or "Keith Moon style" all over the place drumming, Neal made the drums more of an instrument for the band.

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Chris Squire was making the bass an "aggressive lead instrument" before Rush even cut an album. Time signatures? King Crimson, Genesis, ELP and Yes, amongst others, were dancing around different time signatures before Rush and directly influenced Rush.

You can't rewrite history to suit your fanboy fantasies, and your post is clearly embarrassing.

I'm 52 and formally a senior Admin at Progarchives and you ask me if I listen???

Grow up.

Tony, its only polite to offer a "reach around" after that kind of response. Kennylee just got schooled by the pirate captain.

He wants shagging up the arse for being a tosser, but it's not my style.

Maybe a trip to the library to dig up the Penguin Book of Children's Progressive Rock would suffice?

The YBG just called me. They've been watching you. They wanna know if you are interested in taking over for the Shat next issue. They dig your verve!
  • Like 1

Part of the problem is some may think of Rush as originators or innovators. As creative as Rush is, they have never been originators or innovators. They ride the waves they like best.

It's true. They basically just copied all the heavy metal progressive bands that came before them.

I couldn't disagree more. They are extremely innovative and progressive. The fact that they are a genre all their own should say enough. They haven't invented any new chords but you cannot deny their creativity. Rush broke new ground constantly throughout their illustrious career.

Really? Time signatures have been around for a long time but Rush's ability to shift in and out of different time signatures without sounding as such has changed a lot of views on music. Geddy's bass playing is the most melodic bass playing I have ever heard. Sure, Paul McCartney started bringing bass into the foreground but Geddy turned it into an aggressive lead instrument. Neal's use of percussion became a staple of prog bands. The use of more than just a groove or "Keith Moon style" all over the place drumming, Neal made the drums more of an instrument for the band.

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Chris Squire was making the bass an "aggressive lead instrument" before Rush even cut an album. Time signatures? King Crimson, Genesis, ELP and Yes, amongst others, were dancing around different time signatures before Rush and directly influenced Rush.

You can't rewrite history to suit your fanboy fantasies, and your post is clearly embarrassing.

I'm 52 and formally a senior Admin at Progarchives and you ask me if I listen???

Grow up.

Tony, its only polite to offer a "reach around" after that kind of response. Kennylee just got schooled by the pirate captain.

Maybe a trip to the library to dig up the Penguin Book of Children's Progressive Rock would suffice?

The YBG just called me. They've been watching you. They wanna know if you are interested in taking over for the Shat next issue. They dig your verve!

Our missions are peaceful...not for conquest. When we do battle, it is only because we have no choice.

• Like 2

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Grow up.

I am all grown up. Your attacking response is pretty lame. Why can't we have a different opinion without resorting to name calling? That is a great example of maturity.

I feel Rush made greater strides and has been very innovative as is agreed upon by the bands you have mentioned. I've been playing music for over 30 years and I know the complexity of Rush as compared to other bands. I am not here to argue, just state my opinion.

Thanks for the attack.

• Like 1

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Grow up.

Our missions are peaceful...not for conquest. When we do battle, it is only because we have no choice.

Just because you spend your life in the missionary position doesn't make you a missionary.
  • Like 1

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Grow up.

And those guys did the same thing; Squire got a lot of his ideas from jazz guys like Larry Graham, plus guys like Jack Bruce and John Entwistle, Fripp from Django Rheinhardt and Scotty Moore, Hackett from Peter Green and Hendrix, and Steve Howe took from Wes Montgomery and Chet Atkins. This is how it works though so no big deal.

• Like 2

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Grow up.

I am all grown up. Your attacking response is pretty lame. Why can't we have a different opinion without resorting to name calling? That is a great example of maturity.

I feel Rush made greater strides and has been very innovative as is agreed upon by the bands you have mentioned. I've been playing music for over 30 years and I know the complexity of Rush as compared to other bands. I am not here to argue, just state my opinion.

Thanks for the attack.

Telling you that you are wrong is not an attack. You may have an opinion on the quality of the music but the chronology is fixed. Your opinion is as stupid as saying that the Sun revolves around the Earth.

Rush have been more innovative than King Crimson? In what way exactly? I prefer Rush but let's not go sucking their collective dick, eh?

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Grow up.

And those guys did the same thing; Squire got a lot of his ideas from jazz guys like Larry Graham, plus guys like Jack Bruce and John Entwistle, Fripp from Django Rheinhardt and Scotty Moore, Hackett from Peter Green and Hendrix, and Steve Howe took from Wes Montgomery and Chet Atkins. This is how it works though so no big deal.

Except when someone suggests that the jet engine came before the biplane.

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Grow up.

Yeah but the ancient aliens gave space age technology to the people of Atlantis 10,000 years ago, so technically it did. :AlienSmiley: :dweez:

• Like 1

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Grow up.

Just because you spend your life in the missionary position doesn't make you a missionary.

For most Rush fans on here the only time they spend time on top of a woman is if they share a bunk bed with their sister.

Edited by Tony R

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Grow up.

For most Rush fans on here the only time they spend time on top of a woman is if they share a bunk bed with their sister.

Hey stop telling people my sexual secrets! :oops:

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Grow up.

Thanks for the attack.

Telling you that you are wrong is not an attack. You may have an opinion on the quality of the music but the chronology is fixed. Your opinion is as stupid as saying that the Sun revolves around the Earth.

Rush have been more innovative than King Crimson? In what way exactly? I prefer Rush but let's not go sucking their collective dick, eh?

I think everyone has forgotten the fact that RUSH accomplished what they did as a trio. Every other band mention had at least four members to their name. Even though TonyR is correct on what he's laying out concerning RUSH's innovation they did take the progressive movement in a new direction. Taking what bands like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and Led Zepplin had begun and adding the progressive element.

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Grow up.

Here in Goatnut, TN that's the norm as well.

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Grow up.

Thanks for the attack.

Not an attack after telling me my opinion is stupid. OK.

I'm not saying those other bands weren't also innovative. I'm just saying Rush took it to a different level. I'm not re-writing history, just giving Rush their props in history. I'm not denouncing the other bands accomplishments, just stating that Rush also has them.

Jeez, lighten up.

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Grow up.

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Grow up.

Thanks for the attack.

I think everyone has forgotten the fact that RUSH accomplished what they did as a trio. Every other band mention had at least four members to their name. Even though TonyR is correct on what he's laying out concerning RUSH's innovation they did take the progressive movement in a new direction. Taking what bands like Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and Led Zepplin had begun and adding the progressive element.

ELP was a trio.

There is a difference between being influenced by, and ripping off someone else's songs.

Correct but there is also a difference between improving on an original and being original.

• Like 1

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Grow up.

Yeah but the ancient aliens gave space age technology to the people of Atlantis 10,000 years ago, so technically it did. :AlienSmiley: :dweez:

You are incorrect sir. The People of Atlantis were the Ancient Aliens as per (CHD) Crazy Hair Dude!

• Like 1

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Grow up.

Are your boys itching again Duff-man?
  • Like 1

Absolutely! And I love that. That's why I love Rush more than all the "real" prog bands put together, because they took the virtuosic playing and experimental sensibility of prog and added the guts and melody of hard rock, to make MAGIC :yes:

• Like 1

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Grow up.

Are your boys itching again Duff-man?

They always do after shaving

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Grow up.

Thanks for the attack.

ELP was a trio.

Tru Dat! But since they didn't have constant guitars they don't count as a band! :LOL: Edited by losingit2k
  • Like 2

Do you even listen?

Don't talk daft.

Grow up.

Thanks for the attack.

Not an attack after telling me my opinion is stupid. OK.

I'm not saying those other bands weren't also innovative. I'm just saying Rush took it to a different level. I'm not re-writing history, just giving Rush their props in history. I'm not denouncing the other bands accomplishments, just stating that Rush also has them.

Jeez, lighten up.

If you think that Rush "took it to different level" over Yes then you are an idiot. One could reasonably opine that Steve Howe and Bill Bruford are clearly better than Lifeson and Peart and Squire and Lee are equals according to most judges.