Why vapor trails is "shit"

MMCXII

Interesting that Alex says he didn't care about the sound. Makes sense. I've always thought the rawness was intentional, to set a sonic mood to match the emotions they were feeling. It's an unsettling, uncomfortable listen, but I think it works and brings the whole album together.
  • Like 1

as for the quality of the album, I think it's good. I'd put it ahead of test for echo, and right about there with presto (even though presto has more standout tracks). I rarely listen to this outside of 3 or 4 songs though, but it's not bad.

I agree wholeheartedly with the title of this thread, but not the explanation contained herein. I think we can all agree, however, that the album IS shit. :yes:

Aw Goober, an I was gonna dedicate this thread to you.. ;)

I dedicated my last shit to him. It was runny and annoying, and no matter how much I wiped, it wanted to stick around...just like Goober.

• Like 1

Irony that Alex force-fed himself VT and somehow managed to convince himself that it is a great album, much like the same thing ppl did who claim that CA is a masterpiece.

I generally don't hold high regard for Geddy, but was pleasantly surprised to see that he acknowledged VT to be a steaming, stinking pile of sh!t.

Edited by GeminiRising79

Irony that Alex force-fed himself VT and somehow managed to convince himself that it is a great album, much like ppl who claim that CA is a masterpiece.

I generally don't hold high regard for Geddy, but was pleasantly surprised to see that he acknowledged VT to be a steaming, stinking pile of sh!t.

you haven't liked any rush song since the 1980s

• Like 1

I find the live performances of the tunes off this album to be great.. Earthshine, Secret Touch, One little Victory, Ghost Rider.. Yeah, the recording sounds harsh, but I think the tunes are solid overall..
  • Like 3

I agree wholeheartedly with the title of this thread, but not the explanation contained herein. I think we can all agree, however, that the album IS shit. :yes:

I dedicated my last shit to him. It was runny and annoying, and no matter how much I wiped, it wanted to stick around...just like Goober.

http://images.asos-media.com/inv/media/4/6/2/2/2262264/image3xl.jpg

Vapor Trails is a good album with several good songs on it. The Remix will make it even better! Can't Wait to hear the separation of instuments on songs like:

One Little Victory

Ghost Rider

Earth Shine

Secret Touch

Vapor Trail

and

Sweet Miracle

:codger:

Yes yes yes yes...even though this is getting really old now.

http://images.asos-media.com/inv/media/4/6/2/2/2262264/image3xl.jpg

It's all good, Goose. He's just jealous that I have WAY better taste in music than he does and that I beat him in every argument. ;)

Edited by rushgoober

Another thread about vapor trails.

Isn't it exciting??? :)

VT was the only album I'd tolerate when I was in my "I hate Rush so much don't ever play them around me again" phase with my husband.

• Like 3

Alex, from a new Classic Rock mag interview:

The original mastering was the problem. It was poorly done. At the time we should have remastered. It bothered us forever -particularly Geddy, who had the task of remastering of the original album and feels responsible for it. It irked him for many years. The original version is hard on your ears, because the mastering was pushed so hard, there's distortion and so much compression - I found it very difficult to listen to it.

There was so much invested in that record and it just didn’t sit with us that we had this blemish on our recording history. We wanted to rectify that. I’d like to remix every record we did – maybe update some parts. But that’s crazy, you know? You don’t do that – records are moments in time, markers of these different periods of progression and growth. But this one was a very important record – our return after a horrible nightmare. And it deserved better.

David Bottrell. He produced Tool for a lot of years and I loved that stuff. There was talk about him producing Vapor Trails in 2002, but everything was so fragile at the time that it didn’t work out. But we stayed in touch. He’s a Toronto boy. In fact he lives not too far from where I am.

We started in May of this year, when we were touring in Europe. We did all our approvals long distance. We had a few people remix a couple of songs and they were all really good, but there was something about David’s that really felt right to us. He found things in the tracks. David’s was the most interesting approach to remixing it, and the more he got into it, the more he got a sense of overall unity. To me it sounds so good. It’s blossomed. It’s a really great Rush record – some great playing and great ideas. And now that it all knits together in a much more complete way, it feels right.

It's much more pleasurable to listen to. Now, everything's open, you can hear everything, and everything has its place. It's so well-balanced. There's a sort of creaminess and a smoothness to the sound of it. It's so much more dynamic. Before, everything was just balls to the wall. Now it breathes.

• Like 5

Alex didn't want to play solos out of respect for Neil? What could playing solos possibly have to do with that? That doesn't explain any of the other albums since Power Windows.

He has solos on all the other albums. He doesn't on this album because he wanted it to be about the group together, not about individuals. The exception was the intro to OLV, where Geddy and Alex pushed Neil to start off the song that way, which he said made him a little uncomfortable.

• Like 1

Alex didn't want to play solos out of respect for Neil? What could playing solos possibly have to do with that? That doesn't explain any of the other albums since Power Windows.

I found this quote:

“Vapor Trails was really the first album where I really limited the soloing,” admits the guitarist. “At the time, I truly didn’t want to bring the attention to that point in a song where the guitar takes over and it becomes about the solo.

“I might have been wrong about it, but the way I was feeling, at the time, was that we were coming back from this very dark period and I wanted a sense of unity where no one was showing off or standing out. I wanted it to really be about the three of us. I kind of manifested that whole attitude by not standing out and soloing.”

• Like 2