How to Become a Bigger Rush Fan.

Freeze-Frame

I know this sounds like a question that shouldn't belong on this website, but I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of things about Rush that many other fans know all about. I'm a HUGE Rush fan I must say. I've listen to all except for maybe about 10-15 of their songs, and I try to go on Cygnus X-1, RushisaBand, and of course TRF everyday. I just feel like there are many other things I need to know about that is expected of a Rush fan like me and you. I just want to know where I could find these things.

The things I feel like I'm missing out on is:

Victor (Alex's solo album)

Some songs from My Favorite Headache

Interviews

Songs that weren't featured in studio albums (like Take Off)

ect.

All I want to know is where I could find these things. Perhaps online or anywhere else.

Thank You

O, Canada:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7k4cFMVfnCE

Enjoy! :cheers:

I just watched 'O Canada' for the first time last night! I thought I'd finally get around to watching it, since it's been in my little mental list of Rush stuff I still haven't experienced. I liked it; Geddy sounded a bit nervous, and I thought he could have done a bit more vocally (shown off his singing chops a bit more), but I like his low-key approach. Must have been a different for him to sing that a capella, without his comfortable band mates for back-up!

• Like 1

"Momo's Dance Party" and "Pieces of Eight" by Peart

Find the 10 minute documentary of the making of My Favorite Headache. It's pretty cool.

Very obscure and it's not Rush BUT Geddy sings the chorus in a song called "Space Suit" done by his nephew's band Rocket Science. I think that was a bit over a decade ago. The song is pretty forgettable, though not terrible, but it's interesting to see any of the Rush members performing with other bands.

For absolute pure comedy, check out the Trailer Park Boys episode where Ricky kidnaps Lifeson.

• Like 2

I know this sounds like a question that shouldn't belong on this website, but I feel like I'm missing out on a lot of things about Rush that many other fans know all about. I'm a HUGE Rush fan I must say. I've listen to all except for maybe about 10-15 of their songs, and I try to go on Cygnus X-1, RushisaBand, and of course TRF everyday. I just feel like there are many other things I need to know about that is expected of a Rush fan like me and you. I just want to know where I could find these things.

The things I feel like I'm missing out on is:

Victor (Alex's solo album)

Some songs from My Favorite Headache

Interviews

Songs that weren't featured in studio albums (like Take Off)

ect.

All I want to know is where I could find these things. Perhaps online or anywhere else.

Thank You

After listening to a digital copy of My Favorite Headache, I finally decided to buy a physical cd copy from Amazon a little while back. It's a great album. I haven't had a listen to Victor, yet, though; I imagine Amazon might have it, too? But if not, I'm sure youtube might have it.

As for what to do to be a bigger fan... well, that's really subjective. I tend to go the route of delving into minutiae - having all the studio albums and live albums and bootlegs and amassing massive photo galleries and magazines and books. And buying Rush shirts. And trying to be more like my hero, Geddy Lee, by playing bass. But sometimes one reaches a point of 'too much', or overload, where one learns too much about a favourite band or delves too much into them, entering into a bit of tunnel vision where that band is all that exists. But hey, if that band is Rush, that's not such a bad thing! :P

• Like 1

Another site to keep checking is Power Windows, especially for news, and they have a complete set list archive. Another song to look for is Neil's version of the Hockey Night in Canada Theme. Also if you like video games, On Rock Band 3 download The Moving Pictures Album, Working Man, Fly By Night (song), 2112 (song), Closer To The Heart, The Spirit of Radio (live and unreleased), Subdivisions, and Caravan, as well Rock Band 2 has The Trees on it. Also Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock features the entire 2112 with the album quotes found in the liner notes read by all 3 members of the band while you play it start to finish in 3 separate venues based on the song (The Cave, The Temples, and A Giant Starman area). Check out the music video for Fire eyed boy by Broken Social Scene (There is a special cameo in there). Check out the movies Suck and Adventures of Power for Cameos of Alex and Neil Respectively). I love you Man features the entire band in a performance of limelight and many references throughout). Check out the Interview of the band by Steven Colbert, and finally Look for Geddy's appearance in the How I Met Your Mother Episode P.S. I Love You. There, that should keep you busy.
  • Like 1

I just feel like there are many other things I need to know about that is expected of a Rush fan like me and you.

Nothing is expected. There are no dues, quizzes, initiation ceremonies or mandatory meetings. There is nothing you need to know.

Exactly. Do whatever makes you happy - if you want to know more or study more or listen more, there's a shit ton of information online to dive into. Or just spend a day or two searching for Rush interviews, songs and shows on youtube - there's a hell of a lot of them.

I just feel like there are many other things I need to know about that is expected of a Rush fan like me and you.

Nothing is expected. There are no dues, quizzes, initiation ceremonies or mandatory meetings. There is nothing you need to know.

What? metaldad made me send him beer and treeduck beat me with a paddle before they let me join.

Don't forget about the books! There's Clockwork Angels and all of Neil's books, of course (don't forget about Drumbeats, cowritten by Neil and Kevin J. Anderson, available only as an e-book). There are the rock biographies. And a friend introduced me to Ready Player One by Ernest Cline. It's a somewhat science-fictiony tale taking place in a plausible dystopian not-too-distant future when the multi-billionaire creator of an extremely popular videogame-cum-virtual reality world dies with no heirs and leaves his fortune to whomever can find the easter egg hidden in the massive game. Sure, it's not about Rush, but there are a lot of Rush references in the book. Since this creator grew up in and loved the 80s the book is filled with pop culture references, and since my formative years were the 80s I found this a lot of fun!
  • Like 1

What? metaldad made me send him beer and treeduck beat me with a paddle before they let me join.

Totally believable. "Thank you sir may I have another" and all that bollocks

:blaze:

Totally believable. "Thank you sir may I have another" and all that bollocks

:blaze:

treeduck made me buy him the beer and then he paddled me, too. That's what everyone does, right? :unsure:

He was kind enough to remove the rusty nail from the paddle before using it.

Oh one more thing I forgot, go to Universal Studios Orlando and ride the Hollywood Rip Ride Rocket. It is a roller coaster that lets you pick a song to listen to while riding. Though Rush is not on the official list of available songs, by holding your finger down on the logo on the touchpad for about 10 seconds, a keypad will come up. Type in 101 and you can listen to 2112 Pt. 2 while riding.

Oreo cookies and triple cheeseburgers will help you to become the BIGGEST Rush fan ever!!!!

Oreo cookies!!??!!! How bourgeois.

Cheesecake and triple cheeseburgers. With bacon.

If one is going to be a big fat bastard by eating triple cheeseburgers then that same big fat bastard is more likely to eat Oreos. Bacon would follow.

Cheesecake is for the double mocha latte frappucino Starbucks types who had chicken and waffles before the Starbucks visit. Another Starbucks visit would follow.

P.S. I love cheesecake but I hate Starbucks. I digress.