What's the best live rock album?Any opinions?

Virtualbob64

I'll throw in some goodies that I haven't seen here...

Rainbow - On Stage

Les Zeppelin - The Song Remains The Same

I couldn't disagree with you more. I love Zeppelin and Rainbow Both albums have too much self indulgent noodling for my ears, though.

I know what you mean but the extended versions of some songs are just killer (at least to my ears). A lot of live albums from the 70's have this problem that bands where happy to try out new things. I love those albums because all of them have that unique character. At that time Zep songs changed night after night and every single show was something special.

In the end it's just a matter of taste (as ever when it comes to discuss music). :cheers:

• Like 1

Rainbow - On Stage

I couldn't disagree with you more. I love Zeppelin and Rainbow Both albums have too much self indulgent noodling for my ears, though.

I know what you mean but the extended versions of some songs are just killer (at least to my ears). A lot of live albums from the 70's have this problem that bands where happy to try out new things. I love those albums because all of them have that unique character. At that time Zep songs changed night after night and every single show was something special.

In the end it's just a matter of taste (as ever when it comes to discuss music). :cheers:

The hate for TSRTS on here mystifies me as well, those extended versions never seem to bore me anyway :)

• Like 2

Rainbow - On Stage

I think you're right about how different it is to see the extended versions in person. The Dio fronted version of Sabbath, which I love, did that with Heaven and Hell, and when I saw them live, I loved it. On Live Evil and Live at Hammersmith Odeon, I almost always skip it. I love the Mk III and IV versions of Purple too, but I don't listen to Made in Europe or Live at Long Beach much because of the jam sessions.

Musical taste is indeed subjective, and its always a pleasure to discuss it with someone who recognizes that. :cheers:

Paul McCartney and Wings

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2013/04/Wings-Over-America_full.jpg

Wings Over America

http://www.israbox.com/uploads/posts/2010-09/1283500196_booklet_005.jpg

I'd add Tripping the Live Fantastic to the list as well.

• Like 1

Deep Purple: Made in Japan, definitely.

on an unreleased basis.

Black Sabbath: Asbury Park, August 8th, (or was it 9th?) 1975. Simply sounds outstanding..

I was at that Black Sabbath show in Asbury Park 1975.... just sayin'. I also Sabbath in Asbury Park convention hall. Vol 4 tour 1972.

The Sensational Alex Harvey Band - Live

Wow! Nice to meet another SAHB fan...I was beginning to think I was the only one

The hate for TSRTS on here mystifies me as well, those extended versions never seem to bore me anyway :)

Same here. I love all those extended versions. I especially love the "San Francisco" part of Dazed and Confused, and it's the only version of the song I've heard with that section in.

• Like 1

Wow! Nice to meet another SAHB fan...I was beginning to think I was the only one

You're not alone. SAHB put some great albums out at the time. I recently looked at the discography of the band and found so much that I don't have heard. Think it's time to update my collection.

• Like 2

Rainbow - On Stage

I think you're right about how different it is to see the extended versions in person. The Dio fronted version of Sabbath, which I love, did that with Heaven and Hell, and when I saw them live, I loved it. On Live Evil and Live at Hammersmith Odeon, I almost always skip it. I love the Mk III and IV versions of Purple too, but I don't listen to Made in Europe or Live at Long Beach much because of the jam sessions.

Musical taste is indeed subjective, and its always a pleasure to discuss it with someone who recognizes that. :cheers:

:cheers: I totally agree...and what a shame that I forgot Wings and TTLF from Sir Paul.

You're not alone. SAHB put some great albums out at the time. I recently looked at the discography of the band and found so much that I don't have heard. Think it's time to update my collection.

:hi: Another fan here. Zal was so f'n good.

• Like 2

Deep Purple: Made in Japan, definitely.

on an unreleased basis.

Black Sabbath: Asbury Park, August 8th, (or was it 9th?) 1975. Simply sounds outstanding..

I was at that Black Sabbath show in Asbury Park 1975.... just sayin'. I also Sabbath in Asbury Park convention hall. Vol 4 tour 1972.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4f1-73mqmA&list=PLA5A0893CDA0DC66C

Green with envy. That boot is unbelievable. And when you saw Sabbath in 1972 they were (arguably) at the height of their powers during the Ozzy era.

Same here. I love all those extended versions. I especially love the "San Francisco" part of Dazed and Confused, and it's the only version of the song I've heard with that section in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z19xIhUNgxI

Couldn't agree more. There are loads of great examples on many boots as well, they made a point of it. "Tight but loose" indeed...love it :wub:

• Like 1

I'm a bit different I gather, this is in no particular order.

Michael Franti and Spearhead ......Live In Alaska

The Who.....Live At Leeds

U2.....Under A Blood Red Sky

Genesis.....Three Sides Live

Talking Heads....Stop Making Sense

Metallica....Live Binge and Purge....so raw and at their best

Parliament Funkadelic....Live In Houston

Pearl Jam.....Live At The Gorge

ACDC....Live At Donington

Peter Gabriel....Plays Live

David Bowie...Glass Spider...what a tour and one hell of a production.

RUSH.....Exit Stage Left I've listened to that one more than ATWAS and RUSH In Rio

Iron Maiden .....Rock In Rio

Lastly even though its not rock I think this album is the greatest live album period....

Bob Marley and The Wailers.....Babylon By Bus...one can FEEL the movement of the people

RUSH.....Exit Stage Left I've listened to that one more than ATWAS and RUSH In Rio

Me too, me too, although those recordings are awesome as well :ebert:

exit stage left is my favorite video of theirs, but ATWAS or DS are my fav live albums

I know a dude who saw sabbath in 72 when he was 12 years old. first concert. imagine THAT being your first gig

Hard to go anywhere but down

no shit. his next concert was nazareth and blue oyster cult (if I remember correctly), and while that would've been a good show, nothing tops early sabbath

The best live rock album is Keys to Ascension Yes. :D-13: Any questions? BTW, are you trying to include rush as part of the "Music of the spheres" scope??? Interesting... I suppose rush should be included even though the thread title precludes them?

Paul McCartney and Wings

http://wac.450f.edgecastcdn.net/80450F/ultimateclassicrock.com/files/2013/04/Wings-Over-America_full.jpg

Wings Over America

http://www.israbox.com/uploads/posts/2010-09/1283500196_booklet_005.jpg

I'd add Tripping the Live Fantastic to the list as well.

How about this one - Paul McCartney Unplugged (The Official Bootleg)

• Like 2

I know a dude who saw sabbath in 72 when he was 12 years old. first concert. imagine THAT being your first gig

That would rule... I was 14 in 1982 and Sabbath was my first concert and it was pretty incredible...

That would rule... I was 14 in 1982 and Sabbath was my first concert and it was pretty incredible...

still haven't seen sabbath and I don't think I ever will. they haven't played atlanta since that ozzfest tour over a decade ago. since I was, what, 5 or 6 years old, I couldn't go. didn't know who sabbath were at the time