The 90´s - Lost Decade?

Rod in Toronto

I hated the '90's. It had a few bright spots.

REM started to suck.

Yup, CT, I loved shoegazing too, Ride, Curve, MBV, Slowdive. Fabulous.

The rebirth of Bob Mould with Sugar.

Faith No More.

The Sundays

Modified this one a bit.

Am still bitter about REM. Everything from "Green" on sucked.

Ooooh, wish you hadn't changed that.

Out of Time, Automatic for the People, Monster and New Adventures In Hi-Fi. That's an awesome 1990's.

• Like 2

Foo Fighters' Everlong, My Hero, Monkey Wrench, and Hey, Johnny Park! All from what some people say is their best album "Colour and the Shape."

I'm sure the Red Hot Chili Peppers have got a lot of great stuff as well during that time period.

Edited by Anguyen92
  • Like 1

I grew up on 60s and 70s music and watched the 80s happen. Having said that I enjoy the 90s the most. A lot of my favorites from pre90s sound dated these days while the 90s stuff holds up. There was some great "serious" music from bands like stp, sound garden, bush, eve6 and more that I can't think of right now. Even a lot of the one hit wonder stuff was fun from bands like chumbawumba. It might be my least favorite decade for rush but my favorite overall.
  • Like 1

I like the 70s and 80s the best. I still like disco and my teen years were the 80s - new wave, post punk, hair metal, and pop in general depending on the groups and tunes.

The 90s killed off the cliche Rock star poseurs of the 80s, and that needed to happen. I enjoy all decades of Rock music, there is always something good to find. But by 1990, the 80s had worn out its welcome, and bands like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins and Soundgarden, although not doing anything really groundbreaking, were a breath of fresh air.
  • Like 3

The 90s killed off the cliche Rock star poseurs of the 80s, and that needed to happen. I enjoy all decades of Rock music, there is always something good to find. But by 1990, the 80s had worn out its welcome, and bands like Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins and Soundgarden, although not doing anything really groundbreaking, were a breath of fresh air.

Most of my friends were really into those hair bands aNd I just couldn't get into it. I liked a few songs here and there but just was not into that scene. I did a lot of clubbing around that time so listened to a lot of freestyle and dance oriented music along with "real" metal and stuff like guns n roses.

Most of my friends were really into those hair bands aNd I just couldn't get into it. I liked a few songs here and there but just was not into that scene. I did a lot of clubbing around that time so listened to a lot of freestyle and dance oriented music along with "real" metal and stuff like guns n roses.

Yeah, i was into the hard rock/metal bands of the 80s, mostly on the thrash side, but i didnt totally mind bands like Dokken, cause i played guitar and i liked Lynch..but i remember being somewhat schooled when i met a lot of Indie Rock/ Post punk guys in the early 90s...I realized just how silly all those bands looked, and yeah, the lyrics WERE spinal tap worthy.

Pantera were the most badass band of that decade. :haz:

Hell, some hip hop was good especially compared to today's glam rap junk.

Outkast

Fugees

Nas

Dr. Dre

Biggie

2Pac

Wu-Tang

Tribe Called Quest

De La Soul

KRS One

Missy Elliot

I lived in SoCal and KROQ played craploads of SoCal punk like Face To Face, Rancid, Offspring and Green Day in my junior high and early high school days when punk came back to the mainstream. That was the golden era of that station.

Edited by invisible airwave

Yeah, the 90s were tough on a lot of my favorite artists. Many of them came back fine in the '00s, though; Yes, U2, Deep Purple, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, especially.

You guys have covered a lot of the great music of the '90s, and I can't think of much to add, except maybe Dead Can Dance.

I think it will be remembered as a good decade for rock. Not as shiny, fun and interesting as the '80s, but far more solid when you dig a little.

• Like 1

far more solid when you dig a little.

I think it signaled a return to musicianship. Heavy sound aside, most of the grunge acts had really sophisticated nuances to their playing, on guitars and drums. Was glad to see keys pushed into the background...or away.

I think it signaled a return to musicianship. Heavy sound aside, most of the grunge acts had really sophisticated nuances to their playing, on guitars and drums. Was glad to see keys pushed into the background...or away.

Interesting observation. I know a lot of guitarists from the 80s , the hard rock and metal guys, who despise the 90s grunge guitar style..I appreciate both..and both had major flaws..the 80s reliance on speed and flash, and the 90s guys disdain for melodic, technical solos.

Since I'm bored, here's a list of key 90's albums that haven't been mentioned yet:

Non-metal:

Sigur Ros - Agaetis Byrjun

Pink Floyd - The Division Bell

My Bloody Valentine - Loveless

Depeche Mode - Violator, Ultra

Cocteau Twins - Heaven or Las Vegas

Massive Attack - Mezzanine

Nine Inch Nails - The Downward Spiral, Broken, The Fragile

Bjork - Homogenic

Portishead - Dummy, self-titled

GnR - Use Your Illusion II

Metal:

Opeth - Orchid, Morningrise, My Arms Your Hearse, Still Life

Dream Theater - Images and Words, Awake, SFAM

Symphony X - The Divine Wings of Tragedy

Iced Earth - Burnt Offerings, Night of the Stormrider

Death - Human, Symbolic, Individual Thought Patterns, The Sound of Perseverance

Testament - The Gathering

Immortal - At the Heart of Winter

Darkthrone - A Blaze in the Northern Sky

In Flames - The Jester Race, Whoracle, Colony

Emperor - In the Nightside Eclipse

Ozzy - No More Tears

Nightwish - Oceanborn

Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss

Amorphis - Tales from the Thousand Lakes

Ulver - Bergtatt

Agalloch - Pale Folklore

Summoning - Stronghold

Kyuss - Welcome to Sky Valley

Meshuggah - Destroy Erase Improve

Cynic - Focus

Tool - Aenima

Katatonia - Brave Murder Day

Metallica - Black Album

Interesting observation. I know a lot of guitarists from the 80s , the hard rock and metal guys, who despise the 90s grunge guitar style..I appreciate both..and both had major flaws..the 80s reliance on speed and flash, and the 90s guys disdain for melodic, technical solos.

I like both styles as well. And guitar-wise, at the same time we had the basic approach of grunge, a lot of shredders started to surface - remember Shrapnel records and the horde of guitar-oriented records they put out in the 90´s? Richie Kotzen, Greg Howe, Gary Hoey, Vinnie Moore, JAson Becker, MArty Friedman, Chastain, Tony MacAlpine etc etc.

Yeah, i was into the hard rock/metal bands of the 80s, mostly on the thrash side, but i didnt totally mind bands like Dokken, cause i played guitar and i liked Lynch..but i remember being somewhat schooled when i met a lot of Indie Rock/ Post punk guys in the early 90s...I realized just how silly all those bands looked, and yeah, the lyrics WERE spinal tap worthy.

Never had a problem with dokken, lynch was a good guitar player. Their heart was in a more musical place but they had to go "hair" to sell like most acts back then. I remember me and my friends making fun of Jeff Pilsen in one of their videos because of the amount of posing he did. He pulled out all the stops and every cliche in the book.