How can people listen to "New" Country Music?

Aikenrooster

They play this rotgut at truck stops and other public places, plus I catch my wife listening to it...to say it's horrible is a true understatement. How do people even consider it worthy of being called music. The lyrics are pointless, sophomoric, they don't rhyme, and there is no melody. It seems more like white trash pop, to me. It's not even folksy, any more. Why don't the pioneers express any outrage that the genre that they brought to such great popularity has been utterly ruined? Anyway, it drives me insane when I have to hear it.

Long live Rock n Roll!!!

• Like 3

It was bad enough when the country artists really had their roots on the countryside, but the new generation managed to take this to a whole new level of awfulness. They´re just gamour boys and girls posing like they have a hard life on the farms out there...not convincing AT ALL!!!

I've never liked country music, but I'd rather listen to the older artists like Johnny Cash and Dolly Parton than the new style.

I'm a big fan of numerous classic country music artists: Willie Nelson, Johnny Cash, Hank Williams Sr., Patsy Cline, Townes Van Zandt, Waylon, Kristofferson, Carter Family, George Jones, Gram Parsons, and Merle Haggard, to name a handful.

But there are no young contemporary artists who even begin to approach the aforementioned artists' level of substance and quality. I've heard plenty from Eric Church, Zac Brown, etc. And I've been thoroughly versed in Red Dirt Music. I just cannot tolerate any of it.

• Like 3

I can tell you how people can listen to it, they have to work somewhere where the new country station is played open to close. That's my situation at my otherwise awesome job. One of my many bosses who also is a rush fan and does not like country constantly checks the other stations to see if Rush is playing, and will flick it on for me, much to the disdain of my other boss who chooses the station.

An online music reviewer named Todd in the Shadows really put it best to new country music by comparing their music videos to Hip Hop by saying that Country Videos are now just hip hop videos with white girls. The comparison really draws out that country has become, a sell out, just like hip hop before it. I seriously can't stand country both because musically they are unoriginal and lack any energy whatsoever, and lyrically are content to the point of boredom. Happy songs are okay, but give the listener something to think about, something engaging, not just another hum drum good day, or good life, or good memory, for the sake of it.
  • Like 2

It's my second least favorite genre next to rap. Just mind-numbingly dull and idiotic garbage.

THIS =D

my sister in law and her kids LOVE country music, nothing but. DRIVES. ME. INSANE.

one day my niece said "I can't believe you listen to-UGH- rock and heavy metal. IT'S NOT EVEN GOOD."

I looked at her and said "well, it's a hell of a lot better than songs about lovin' tractors and not every rock or metal singer sounds EXACTLY THE SAME."

she got all pissy and walked away lmao.

• Like 3

I can listen to the old stuff. I adore Emmylou Harris.

I even like it when Family Guy throws over to play entire Conway Twitty songs.

Elvis Costello did a much better job at country than most country artists. King of America is at least half country, and it's great.

Country doesn't have to suck, but it does!

Maybe country is stuck where metal was in the late 80's when it was taken over by too many hair bands.

Edited by sitboaf
  • Like 1

It was bad enough when the country artists really had their roots on the countryside, but the new generation managed to take this to a whole new level of awfulness. They´re just gamour boys and girls posing like they have a hard life on the farms out there...not convincing AT ALL!!!

They look like they just stepped out of a Disney movie

It's my second least favorite genre next to rap. Just mind-numbingly dull and idiotic garbage.

THIS =D

my sister in law and her kids LOVE country music, nothing but. DRIVES. ME. INSANE.

one day my niece said "I can't believe you listen to-UGH- rock and heavy metal. IT'S NOT EVEN GOOD."

I looked at her and said "well, it's a hell of a lot better than songs about lovin' tractors and not every rock or metal singer sounds EXACTLY THE SAME."

One day she'll hopefully see the truth and thank you ;)

• Like 1

I really need someone to help and draw the line between "new" country and "classic" country. I love the great artists like Cash, Van Zandt, Hank Williams... I listen to Folkalley radio and generally like what I hear, even if I cannot tell what's playing. The quality seems good to me.

I used to listen to country quite a bit 8 or 9 years ago and even then it had progressed drastically from what it was just 10 years before and exponentially from what it was before then. Since '04 and '05 it has taken huge leaps and bounds into the world of suck ass shit music to where it really is unlistenable.

It's grown just like rock and roll or pop music has. It started with the basic and grew and grew and every 10 years or so it takes a drastic turn and becomes something different...it has taken the same turn rock music did 20 years ago and has turned into shit.

Plenty of today's country stars are self-proclaimed Tom Petty fans, but apparently the feeling isn't mutual. Back in May, Tom reportedly commented on today's modern country music while on stage at the Beacon Theater in New York calling the genre "bad rock with a fiddle."

In the new issue of Rolling Stone, he goes on to say, "I hate to generalize on a whole genre of music, but it does seem to be missing that magic element that it used to have. I'm sure there are people playing country that are doing it well, but they're just not getting the attention that the shittier stuff gets."

Petty says he and his band, The Heartbreakers, borrowed their influence from country music, but certainly not today's sound or the artists that currently make up the genre.

He said, "I don't really see a George Jones or a Buck Owens or any anything that fresh coming up. I'm sure there must be somebody doing it, but most of that music reminds me of rock in the middle 80s where it became incredibly generic and relied on videos."

I love old country. Hank, Johnny Cash, George Jones, Glen Campbell, country-era Elvis. Pure class. Every house should have a copy of Ray Charles' Modern Sounds in Country & Western Music.

But, it's been in the shitter for years. Yes, I also blame Garth Brooks. He should be fired from a cannon, into a stone wall. Then, blow up the wall.

I can listen to Johnny Cash any time but this stuff is utter shit.

Early Johnny Cash is more rockabilly than country. I can listen to early Johnny Cash as well.

THIS =D

One day she'll hopefully see the truth and thank you ;)

what REALLY cracks me up is, that niece in particular LOVES a song by the newer metal band Dragonforce, her sister LOVES Roll The Bones (a 13 year old who can sit there and listen to it on repeat) and her little brother I mentioned was amazed at the R30 dvd. They like certain songs/artists, but it's like, they're weird about letting their mom know they like some metal/rock songs, especially Rush.

I see it now, her scoffing because her kids like "Rush because of their freaking uncle" lol.