How can people listen to "New" Country Music?

Aikenrooster

My friend, Glen Tubbs (nephew of the famous Ernest) said this recently on facebook:

I'm 78 years old now and I've seen a lot of history go whizzing by, faster and faster every day. Things move so fast, it's hard to remember when some of the major changes occurred. And then major changes happened to the major changes. Today, I no longer recognize the Country music I grew up with. I don't know what it is but it ain't Country. If you asked a young person today who Lefty Frizzell or Carl Smith was, they would have no idea who you're talking about. And it's not their fault. They don't know because they've never heard their music. Radio no longer plays real Country music. It a rotten shame but that's the way it is. And we must accept that it's that way because no one with any authority cares enough to try and change it. But I can't really complain because I DID GET TO HEAR LEFTY, HANK, CARL, EDDIE, ROY, RED, ERNEST, WEBB, JOHNNY, THE LOUVINS, THE WILBURNS, THE BROWNS and so many more that left me with an endless stream of music in my memory that I can sit and recall any time I want to. And poor kids today can't do that. They've never heard it and probably never will. And that is a crying shame, that should be considered a crime because just a handful of programmers have stolen an entire genre of music and hidden it away and deprived millions and millions of people from the joy of listening to MOM AND DAD'S WALTZ, HEY JOE, LOVESICK BLUES, ANYTIME, GREAT SPECKLED BIRD, WALKING THE FLOOR OVER YOU, OLD SHEP, I WALK THE LINE, SLOWLY, CASH ON THE BARREL HEAD, TROUBLE'S BACK IN TOWN, THE OLD LAMPLIGHTER and so many, many more. The music I loved is gone but I got to hear it. And I was blessed to be a part of it. I thank God that He let me perform on the same stage with some of these giants and write songs for a lot of them. I have been truly blessed. I hardly ever turn my radio on because when I do, I don't recognize what I hear. I can't tell one song from another or one artist from another. There is no individuality anymore. It sounds like they took one artist for the male and one for the female and made a dozen clones of them and gave them different names. Well, I'll shut up now and get off my soap box. I didn't mean to run on so long. Goodnight and God bless you all.

Edited by drbirdsong

country sucks but people like it same way people like any type of music, it pleases them, I don't get it though

Today's country music is to me what 80's hair metal was. Pretty vapid, but catchy in a party atmosphere. I do here some pretty decent hooks in many of the modern pop-country songs, and the drumming is often decent.

I saw earlier that someone blamed Garth brooks. I think mutt Lange is to blame IF you don't like the direction of modern country music. After everyone saw the bag of money mutt and shania walked away with they tried to duplicate it. It was pop music presented in a "country" format (a little steel guitar but not too much) but without a lot of country sensibility (shania is Canadian, after all). Everyone started chasing crossover success which meant less cowboy hats and style over substance with performers. Look at what faith hill looked and sounded like before and after shania is a good example of what I'm talking about.
  • Like 3

I saw earlier that someone blamed Garth brooks. I think mutt Lange is to blame IF you don't like the direction of modern country music. After everyone saw the bag of money mutt and shania walked away with they tried to duplicate it. It was pop music presented in a "country" format (a little steel guitar but not too much) but without a lot of country sensibility (shania is Canadian, after all). Everyone started chasing crossover success which meant less cowboy hats and style over substance with performers. Look at what faith hill looked and sounded like before and after shania is a good example of what I'm talking about.

God, I'd forgotten all about Shania Twain. God, she was bloody awful. That Man I Feel Like A Woman was awful bollocks. You nailed it there AW, there's the lightest dusting of country, but it's essentially pop fodder.

• Like 1

God, I'd forgotten all about Shania Twain. God, she was bloody awful. That Man I Feel Like A Woman was awful bollocks. You nailed it there AW, there's the lightest dusting of country, but it's essentially pop fodder.

One time Jeff worked at the Country Thunder music festival as a quick job, picking up trash ("and finding TONS of money and random bottles of booze dropped on the ground" LOL) & he said when Shania Twain was onstage, the music was awful but she was wearing a "skin tight catsuit, so it was extremely tolerable." :P

^ I just showed Jeff that picture and he nodded and said "Right on." bahaha.

Oh yes, I can't believe Mutt Lange cheated on HER. Good lord.

Yeah, I wouldn't kick her out of bed for eating crackers. Yowza.

I love Shania Twain

http://www.celebs101.com/wallpapers/Shania_Twain/293841/shania_twain_Wallpaper.jpg

It's just that I don't like any of her music

Man, I feel like a woman.

Definitely a sexy baby

I love Shania Twain

http://www.celebs101.com/wallpapers/Shania_Twain/293841/shania_twain_Wallpaper.jpg

It's just that I don't like any of her music

Man, I feel like a woman.

Definitely a sexy baby

Too bad country music doesn't sound a fraction as good as these pics look:

http://www.celebs101.com/wallpapers/Shania_Twain/293842/Shania_Twain_Wallpaper.jpg

She needs to put on a jumper or she'll get a cold.

Good Gawd, what a knock-out! :D

• Like 1