Rush: How I learned to forgive — and even like — the most hated band of all time

Earthshine_sf

There is no such thing as the "most hated band ever" or the "most loved band ever". The article isn't worth reading.
  • Like 1

Yeah, this isnt really all that flattering to the band. And the whole most hated band ever thing is silly...this dude is an obvious Punk/Post punk elitist.

He manages to rip Yes, Skynard, and Floyd as well, while giving some praise to Jesus and Mary Chain..Yeah, this is every guy i met in my early college years circa 1991

Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 1

And whats with the keyboard solos part?..I love how these guys twist everything around ..so people who are not familiar with Rush, and already have pre conceived notions about them, think Rush have lots and lots of keyboard solos....f**k this guy

Yeah, this part here..

The band members are extremely lovable in this film—lifelong friends who never argue about anything except the keyboard solos. (Apparently certain members of Rush are the only people on earth who think Rush should have keyboard solos.

Edited by Xanadoood
  • Like 1

I would say Rush is the most MISUNDERSTOOD band of all time.....

.....because their music and lyrics go over most people's heads. :yes: :yes:

• Like 1

I read the article. It comes off on the surface as perhaps complimentary to the band, but the reality is it's a pretty douchy article.

The premise that Rush was the most hated band in the world because their music was shoved down people's throats on classic rock radio completely disproportionate to their popularity or albums sales is ridiculous. He sites examples of cult bands that stayed cult bands like King Crimson or Gentle Giant and weren't foisted upon people. They weren't foisted upon people because those groups just didn't write catchy songs with popular appeal that could be played on the radio. Rush did. And he fails to figure out that the only reason they got played so much on the radio, and later on classic rock radio is that people liked the songs and that the band was actually good. You don't get on regular rotation and stay on regular rotation if everyone hates the band. Radio stations thrive on playing music that people like so they keep listening to their radio station so their advertisers keep advertising on them. If Rush were really so hated, they wouldn't have lasted like they did.

And now he has reluctantly become a fan. Guess what? Rush fans would rather you still hate the band if you're going to be such an asshole about it. As I said, douchy.

• Like 11

At least it's a well written piece unlike most articles on the band. I thought it was written as a humorous take on the pov of people who don't like the band but can tolerate them. I know my friends can relate to having a "rush friend" and, while i don't push the band on them, if a subject comes up I will unleash an encyclopedia of info on them. He does seem clueless as to how many albums they have sold when he says they are overplayed on radio bases on actual sales. If anything it can be argued they are underplayed.
  • Like 1

It's interesting ,the King Crimson and Gentle Giant comparison..is he suggesting that if Rush hadn't gotten as much radio play , or what he perceives to be a lot of , radio play, that Rush might not have been as ridiculed as they have been? I've always found bands like Crimson, who I like, to be a hell of a lot more pretenscious and difficult to get than Rush..
  • Like 1

I've always wondered what old school critics would have said about modern, or somewhat modern, bands like Radiohead and Tool if they were around at the same time as Rush..
  • Like 1

I've always wondered what old school critics would have said about modern, or somewhat modern, bands like Radiohead and Tool if they were around at the same time as Rush..

christgau hates all 3

boring article by a boring writer with boring taste who shows up on boring vh1 "top 10 madonna songs" specials and says boring things

dude's right about one thing though - every time anyone writes anything about rush that's not "this is the best band ever" rush fans get f***ing pissed off and will bitch forever about it

I'm sure robert christgau's gotten death threats from some of you f*ckers for giving farewell to kings a D+ back in 77

• Like 1

Sorry, this guy is a poseur. Really, Rush is the most hated band and you like them now? Oh, isn't that sweet. I've liked them since I was 11 and I am a woman.

Jerk. :rage:

Guess I better go get my morning coffee to get me back to my usual, cheery self. :coffee:

Cheers,

frippy

Funny article.

As ever, the real gold is in the comments.

Anti-Semitism, misogyny, even a bit of xenophobia!! People are TOO angry.

Seriously. The comments pretty much vindicate one of the few truisms in his article - that Rush fans hate anything written about the band.

Still, he misses the point that Rush got massive airplay because their songs were powerful and catchy - as has been pointed out before in this thread. But as a fan of the Jesus and Mary Chain, I assume he knows all about massive airplay and the business of commercial radio.

I read the article. It comes off on the surface as perhaps complimentary to the band, but the reality is it's a pretty douchy article.

The premise that Rush was the most hated band in the world because their music was shoved down people's throats on classic rock radio completely disproportionate to their popularity or albums sales is ridiculous. He sites examples of cult bands that stayed cult bands like King Crimson or Gentle Giant and weren't foisted upon people. They weren't foisted upon people because those groups just didn't write catchy songs with popular appeal that could be played on the radio. Rush did. And he fails to figure out that the only reason they got played so much on the radio, and later on classic rock radio is that people liked the songs and that the band was actually good. You don't get on regular rotation and stay on regular rotation if everyone hates the band. Radio stations thrive on playing music that people like so they keep listening to their radio station so their advertisers keep advertising on them. If Rush were really so hated, they wouldn't have lasted like they did.

And now he has reluctantly become a fan. Guess what? Rush fans would rather you still hate the band if you're going to be such an asshole about it. As I said, douchy.

Couldn't agree more. Typical garbage from a music journalist...maybe it's in their dna
  • Like 1