Working out

Hey guess what?!

I bought new bras today! I've shrunk down a size!

I also got myself a long sleeved cycling top

I knew it would happen. Just don't get carried away.... :LOL: :blush:

How tall are you btw if you don't mind me asking? I hope you don't use stones for that to because I won't understand.... :LOL:

Edited by Narpski

Hey guess what?!

I bought new bras today! I've shrunk down a size!

I also got myself a long sleeved cycling top

I knew it would happen. Just don't get carried away.... :LOL: :blush:

How tall are you btw if you don't mind me asking? I hope you don't use stones for that to because I won't understand.... :LOL:

I will try not to!! :LOL:

I am 5 feet tall exactly! :)

• Like 1

I couldn't go to the gym today but I just did 4 miles in the neighborhood with 5 lb dumbbells. In many ways it seems harder than my gym routine anyway....
  • Like 1

Had one of those really shitty workout days. :( Legs today. Couldn't hit my target poundage/rep scheme on squats OR stiff-legged deadlifts, though most of the problem with the deadlift is that I can now lift a lot more than I can grip for more than a couple/three reps. Guess I'm gonna have to get some hooks or straps. I hate straps, though. I've used them in the past and always had to get someone to help me strap up the 2nd hand and then UNSTRAP after. Plus between sets there's nothing you can do except stand there like a moron tied to an Olympic bar. Need more weight added or a couple of plates stripped off? Yep, yell for help.

Just a very blah day - one of those when I wish the gym didn't have mirrors because I felt like I looked all flat and out of shape. I know, these days happen to everyone. They just suck.

Post exhaust sets of quad extensions were good, so there's that.

Had one of those really shitty workout days. :( Legs today. Couldn't hit my target poundage/rep scheme on squats OR stiff-legged deadlifts, though most of the problem with the deadlift is that I can now lift a lot more than I can grip for more than a couple/three reps. Guess I'm gonna have to get some hooks or straps. I hate straps, though. I've used them in the past and always had to get someone to help me strap up the 2nd hand and then UNSTRAP after. Plus between sets there's nothing you can do except stand there like a moron tied to an Olympic bar. Need more weight added or a couple of plates stripped off? Yep, yell for help.

Just a very blah day - one of those when I wish the gym didn't have mirrors because I felt like I looked all flat and out of shape. I know, these days happen to everyone. They just suck.

Sounds to much like work to me..... :)

I know, these days happen to everyone. They just suck.

Yeah, those days can be dispiriting for a bit. But what mainly goes through my head is how I can't wait until my next workout, because then it's all the more satisfying when I return to form and kick ass. :madra:

Plus between sets there's nothing you can do except stand there like a moron tied to an Olympic bar. Need more weight added or a couple of plates stripped off? Yep, yell for help.

That Ryan fool still has one good arm right? He should make himself useful and help you out for a while.

• Like 2

I know, these days happen to everyone. They just suck.

Yeah, those days can be dispiriting for a bit. But what mainly goes through my head is how I can't wait until my next workout, because then it's all the more satisfying when I return to form and kick ass. :madra:

Plus between sets there's nothing you can do except stand there like a moron tied to an Olympic bar. Need more weight added or a couple of plates stripped off? Yep, yell for help.

That Ryan fool still has one good arm right? He should make himself useful and help you out for a while.

:laughing guy:

Ok let me slow you down a bit.

I had/have the same problem with wrist strength. Don't cheat by using straps. Your grip strength will never catch up if you do that. Instead start doing grip exercises.

1. Wrist curls are good.

2. Grab two dumbbells and walk till you can't hold them any more, set them down and rest a few minutes, then pick them up and go again.

3. Take 2 plates of whatever weight and put them together so that the flat sides are facing out. then hold them at your side pinching them together. Start with 10 lb plates and work your way up.

You can also use rest pauses on dead lifts to help with this. Instead of doing 5 sets of 5 or whatever, dead lift a weight that you can do maybe 10 - 15 reps in 10 minutes and then time yourself. Do one rep then set the weight down and reset. As soon as you can do 15 singles in 10 minutes, up the weight. That way you don't strain your wrists but you can still lift heavy and if you don't "cheat" with bands, your wrist strength will catch up eventually.

I saw major gains with my dead lift when I started doing it this way.

As far as standing around between sets goes, let me ask, do you do splits or whole body workouts? I ask because I like to do my heavy compound lifts (which should always be done first thing) with normal rest but then do my targeted stuff with little rest or as a superset with something else.

For instance, on chest day

Flat barbell bench press 5 sets of 5 reps with 2-3 minutes rest between sets. As heavy as you can lift for 25 reps. if you can do 5x5 easy, you need to add weight.

incline dumbbell press 3 sets of 12 in a super set with 3 sets of 12 close in bench presses

12 weighted front dips in a super set with 3 sets of 12 tricep extensions.

On those super sets I go back and forth with no more than 30 seconds rest between sets.

Here are two that I like to cycle through during meat season. 8 weeks on each with 2 week deload in between.

Doing this one now:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/bulldozer-training-4-day-mini-dozer-workout-split

Will start this one in a couple weeks:

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/big-bold-brutal-muscle-building-workout

One final thought. We all have days like you had today. It's okay, just go out and do it better tomorrow!!

I don't even consider what I do working out compared to this^^^^^..... :(

That's why I don't post in this thread! :LOL:

:laughing guy: Good1. I am an observer covered with sweat at the gym in comparison...... Edited by Narpski

No one should feel hesitant to post in this thread. I'm glad we have tss around to give all this advice; his posts are great. But while we're all in different "places" and we all have different objectives, we're working our asses off just the same. Why not discuss our experiences with each other?

Besides, GM, having met you I KNOW that you're a powerhouse no matter how modest you act in this thread!

• Like 1

I had/have the same problem with wrist strength. Don't cheat by using straps. Your grip strength will never catch up if you do that. Instead start doing grip exercises.

1. Wrist curls are good.

2. Grab two dumbbells and walk till you can't hold them any more, set them down and rest a few minutes, then pick them up and go again.

3. Take 2 plates of whatever weight and put them together so that the flat sides are facing out. then hold them at your side pinching them together. Start with 10 lb plates and work your way up.

You can also use rest pauses on dead lifts to help with this. Instead of doing 5 sets of 5 or whatever, dead lift a weight that you can do maybe 10 - 15 reps in 10 minutes and then time yourself. Do one rep then set the weight down and reset. As soon as you can do 15 singles in 10 minutes, up the weight. That way you don't strain your wrists but you can still lift heavy and if you don't "cheat" with bands, your wrist strength will catch up eventually.

As far as standing around between sets goes, let me ask, do you do splits or whole body workouts? I ask because I like to do my heavy compound lifts (which should always be done first thing) with normal rest but then do my targeted stuff with little rest or as a superset with something else.

Flat barbell bench press 5 sets of 5 reps with 2-3 minutes rest between sets. As heavy as you can lift for 25 reps. if you can do 5x5 easy, you need to add weight.

incline dumbbell press 3 sets of 12 in a super set with 3 sets of 12 close in bench presses

On those super sets I go back and forth with no more than 30 seconds rest between sets.

Here are two that I like to cycle through during meat season. 8 weeks on each with 2 week deload in between.

Doing this one now:

http://www.muscleand...r-workout-split

http://www.muscleand...uilding-workout

One final thought. We all have days like you had today. It's okay, just go out and do it better tomorrow!!

I know about the grip thing - it's one of those things I SHOULD be working on but have been lazy about of late - in addition to wrist curls I also like the wrist rollers (where you tie a plate to a bar with a length of rope, then roll the weight all the way up and all the way down).

LOVE rest-pause technique! I've made huge progress on my chest workouts (shut up, Narpski!) using that format for few weeks. And I have to be careful to not overdo on supersets and giant sets. On arm days I like to use antagonistic supersets. I know that can be done with chest and back workouts as well but I've not given that a shot as of yet, partly because it's kind of hard to hoard equipment during prime time at the gym. The one I belong to near work is larger with much more equipment, but the one near home not so much.

I do need to drastically switch up my leg routine soon. I think they're due for a shock. However, legs are tricky for me with the artificial hip. Deadlifts are a-ok to do, but I have to think of prolonging the life of the implant (which I've had since 2001 with a new socket installed in 2011) when I'm considering squats and leg presses. I'm not even supposed to be doing leg presses but I compromise by only doing them when I am on a higher vol/lower weight cycle.

Yep, today is to be forgotten. And I was so psyched to get in and GO - had been following this weekend's Olympia coverage. (My favorite women's competitor, Dana Linn Bailey, lost her physique title - she came in 2nd. One reason I like Dana is that she's one of the few competitors who hasn't gotten implants. I am sorry, but implants look like shit on someone with that little bodyfat. JMO). The pro women bodybuilders competing at Olympia all look way too manly and overdeveloped thanks to steroid - much prefer the physique competitors.

• Like 1

1. Wrist curls are good.

Doing this one now:

I know about the grip thing - it's one of those things I SHOULD be working on but have been lazy about of late - in addition to wrist curls I also like the wrist rollers (where you tie a plate to a bar with a length of rope, then roll the weight all the way up and all the way down).

LOVE rest-pause technique! I've made huge progress on my chest workouts (shut up, Narpski!) using that format for few weeks. And I have to be careful to not overdo on supersets and giant sets. On arm days I like to use antagonistic supersets. I know that can be done with chest and back workouts as well but I've not given that a shot as of yet, partly because it's kind of hard to hoard equipment during prime time at the gym. The one I belong to near work is larger with much more equipment, but the one near home not so much.

I do need to drastically switch up my leg routine soon. I think they're due for a shock. However, legs are tricky for me with the artificial hip. Deadlifts are a-ok to do, but I have to think of prolonging the life of the implant (which I've had since 2001 with a new socket installed in 2011) when I'm considering squats and leg presses. I'm not even supposed to be doing leg presses but I compromise by only doing them when I am on a higher vol/lower weight cycle.

Yep, today is to be forgotten. And I was so psyched to get in and GO - had been following this weekend's Olympia coverage. (My favorite women's competitor, Dana Linn Bailey, lost her physique title - she came in 2nd. One reason I like Dana is that she's one of the few competitors who hasn't gotten implants. I am sorry, but implants look like shit on someone with that little bodyfat. JMO). The pro women bodybuilders competing at Olympia all look way too manly and overdeveloped thanks to steroid - much prefer the physique competitors.

Sorry I rambled on.

It sounds like you have everything well under control!

No one should feel hesitant to post in this thread. I'm glad we have tss around to give all this advice; his posts are great. But while we're all in different "places" and we all have different objectives, we're working our asses off just the same. Why not discuss our experiences with each other?

Besides, GM, having met you I KNOW that you're a powerhouse no matter how modest you act in this thread!

Hey, yeah, everyone has different goals. Your input is as valid as anyone's even if you don't happen to be a gym rat, ultra-runner, rock climbing goddess, or whatever. Most of us aren't. Including me.

1. Wrist curls are good.

Doing this one now:

Sorry I rambled on.

It sounds like you have everything well under control!

No need to apologize! I am realizing that I need to kind of overhaul and reorganize a few things. Advice is always welcome - I didn't start back lifting until April of this year after roughly an 8-year stretch of avoiding the weight room.

I got cramp in my calf yesterday. it hurt a lot and it was quite inconvenient since I was asleep at the time...

Nothing like waking up to a charley horse.

Cramping feet are no fun either. :(

Been working out for the past few months at a boxing gym here in town and I've lost well over 10 pounds since going. Now that schools started, (senior year!) i'' finally was able to take up a weight lifting class with the football coach here so I'll be able to get two great workouts a day! I'm currently plateauing right now with my weight so now I have to start eating a little cleaner in order to shed the last few pounds to meet my goal weight. Since being a fire fighter is my goal once I get out of highschool and go to college for a Fire Science degree, I guess it's good that I'm starting to get into even better shape to meet the physical requirements to be a fireman.
  • Like 1

Me neither! You should see what I do to work out!

Saying that what I do is working... Gilby tells me I'm firming up all over! :blush: