Working out

you can run if necessary.

:LOL:

I won't need to flee from any of the beanstalks and jellybellies on this forum! :madra:

I hate the 2-3 minute rest intervals between sets. So instead of sitting there doing nothing I use that time to get in my ab work.

What kinds of ab exercises do you like to do between sets?

I won't need to flee from any of the beanstalks and jellybellies on this forum! :madra:

I hate the 2-3 minute rest intervals between sets. So instead of sitting there doing nothing I use that time to get in my ab work.

Hanging leg raises, reverse crunches, v-sits, various crunches. The usual combo! Abs are my least favorite thing to do. I save them for last, usually, which is a bit of a mistake since the temptation to skip them and just head home is always great.

I don't plank very often because oddly enough, I can hold a plank forever. Seriously, I could read a book in a plank.

• Like 1

Hanging leg raises, reverse crunches, v-sits, various crunches. The usual combo! Abs are my least favorite thing to do. I save them for last, usually, which is a bit of a mistake since the temptation to skip them and just head home is always great.

I don't plank very often because oddly enough, I can hold a plank forever. Seriously, I could read a book in a plank.

I haven't tried doing staggered sets yet. When you do the ab exercises in between, does it have any sort of detrimental effect on how you do when you return to the weights? Do you find that doing the ab exercises makes you more tired than you otherwise would've been when you get back to the weights (and perhaps negatively affects your performance), or do you do just as well when you get back to the weights as you would've without doing the ab stuff? (I hope these questions make sense; I don't knowing if I'm stating them well.)

Yeah, I have the exact same issue with planks!

I haven't tried doing staggered sets yet. When you do the ab exercises in between, does it have any sort of detrimental effect on how you do when you return to the weights? Do you find that doing the ab exercises makes you more tired than you otherwise would've been when you get back to the weights (and perhaps negatively affects your performance), or do you do just as well when you get back to the weights as you would've without doing the ab stuff? (I hope these questions make sense; I don't knowing if I'm stating them well.)

Yeah, I have the exact same issue with planks!

It doesn't seem to bother me in terms of sapping strength for the main exercise at hand. But then again, I will usually only work in one set of ab work in that 2-3 minute rest period; it takes me about maybe 45 seconds/1 minute, so I still have some recovery time yet.

I know it's not an ideal, focused ab workout. It's not very structured. But I do try to go for variety, and it's better than skipping it entirely! What I'd like to do actually is start working on some overall core sets, using the ropes, etc. Also I've really, really tried to start being conscious of using my core during compound exercises on other muscle groups, such as squats.

I'll have to change up the plan once I get back to a building scheme with shorter rest periods between sets. Not enough time. I SHOULD start with abs and then move on to the main workout of the day. Easier said than done. Right now I'm seriously considering going back to 2/day splits, with cardio in the AM (except on leg days) and weights in the evening. Part of the reason is that we're about to be swamped with newbies and their New Year's resolutions. I know, I should be encouraging, but it's annoying for the most part. These people spend about 6 weeks getting in everyone else's way before they quit.

Edited by Mara
  • Like 1

It doesn't seem to bother me in terms of sapping strength for the main exercise at hand. But then again, I will usually only work in one set of ab work in that 2-3 minute rest period; it takes me about maybe 45 seconds/1 minute, so I still have some recovery time yet.

I know it's not an ideal, focused ab workout. It's not very structured. But I do try to go for variety, and it's better than skipping it entirely!

Thanks, that answers my question really well, and I think it sounds like an efficient way of doing things. I'm pretty happy with my abs and I don't do very many focused ab workouts anymore, but I like to get some work in on them regularly, and this sounds like a way to do it while at the same time alleviating that between-sets tedium.

Also I've really, really tried to start being conscious of using my core during compound exercises on other muscle groups, such as squats.

Yep, same here.

Part of the reason is that we're about to be swamped with newbies and their New Year's resolutions. I know, I should be encouraging, but it's annoying for the most part. These people spend about 6 weeks getting in everyone else's way before they quit.

Forget that encouraging stuff... be mean to them! Then maybe you can get rid of them in 2-3 weeks instead of the usual six. :LOL:

• Like 1

I find planks the hardest to do.

I do do them whenever I do my strength exercises but I can feel my abdoment trembling with the effort... I only do sets of 30 seconds! :LOL:

I do do them whenever I do my strength exercises but I can feel my abdoment trembling with the effort... I only do sets of 30 seconds! :LOL:

That's good! Provided that you're utilizing proper form, it's probably an effective exercise for you. In the very beginning, my body would start shaking just as I would approach forty-five seconds.

But my core grew stronger and adapted to the exercise pretty quickly. Nowdays, I could probably plank my way through The Fountain of Lamneth without the slightest quiver.

That's good! Provided that you're utilizing proper form, it's probably an effective exercise for you. In the very beginning, my body would start shaking just as I would approach forty-five seconds.

But my core grew stronger and adapted to the exercise pretty quickly. Nowdays, I could probably plank my way through The Fountain of Lamneth without the slightest quiver.

I don't do any of these things! :D-13:

• Like 1

I realised I said that wrong. It should be TWO sets of 30 seconds! :16ton:

I've been doing them for maybe 4 months and I still tremble!

What tummy exercises do you do? :popcorn:

I think digestion is the extent of Treeduck's belly exercise, :LOL:. But I've seen pics of him and he's not got anything to worry about in terms of carrying too much fat!

• Like 2

O happy day!

I managed the 40 lb dumbbells for 4 sets of 5 incline bench presses! :7up: I knew I could do it - the problem was getting the right one up over my head for that starting position. So today I just asked for a spot on my first set, just to get me started. After that it was cake; I managed 3 more sets and even was able to start myself off by "bouncing" the dumbbell off my thigh as I moved into position. Did 3 more sets of 6 at 35 lbs after that.

This is a big deal for this 46-year-old chick. :D

• Like 3

I love the feeling when the weights I've been working with suddenly don't seem all that heavy anymore. :madra:

I will be well prepared when the time comes for the big TRF rumble. (But just to be safe, I'll be on the side that has TSS and Mara.)

I'm in. TSS boxes and you can run if necessary. I can go forever without getting tired. The 3 of us ought to be able to hold our own.

Last workout of 2014: very, very good shoulder workout. :) 1st workout of 2015 will be my back, which is my favorite muscle group to work.

I've been on about an 8-week cycle (so far) to increase strength; heavier weights, 3-6 reps and 6-8 sets per exercise. I'd plateau'd on growth. Really feeling good but it's getting a bit tedious - I hate the 2-3 minute rest intervals between sets. So instead of sitting there doing nothing I use that time to get in my ab work. In about 4 more weeks I'll switch back to a growth cycle and see where that takes me.

Supersets baby!! I love em, as long as you aren't lifting more than 75-80% of your one rep max.

Eating! :joker:

I love the feeling when the weights I've been working with suddenly don't seem all that heavy anymore. :madra:

I will be well prepared when the time comes for the big TRF rumble. (But just to be safe, I'll be on the side that has TSS and Mara.)

I'm in. TSS boxes and you can run if necessary. I can go forever without getting tired. The 3 of us ought to be able to hold our own.

Last workout of 2014: very, very good shoulder workout. :) 1st workout of 2015 will be my back, which is my favorite muscle group to work.

I've been on about an 8-week cycle (so far) to increase strength; heavier weights, 3-6 reps and 6-8 sets per exercise. I'd plateau'd on growth. Really feeling good but it's getting a bit tedious - I hate the 2-3 minute rest intervals between sets. So instead of sitting there doing nothing I use that time to get in my ab work. In about 4 more weeks I'll switch back to a growth cycle and see where that takes me.

Supersets baby!! I love em, as long as you aren't lifting more than 75-80% of your one rep max.

I love supersetting normally, and have thought about trying to do opposing body parts this way (like back and chest, bi's and tri's). But especially this time of year it's hard to hoard gym equipment. Also I am trying to hit that 75-80% mark on the 1-rep max, thus the long recovery intervals. Today, though, I did do some supersets of dumbbell flyes/pushups.

I will for sure be getting back to supersets once I am done with this cycle. I even like giant sets when I can manage.

O happy day!

I managed the 40 lb dumbbells for 4 sets of 5 incline bench presses! :7up: I knew I could do it - the problem was getting the right one up over my head for that starting position. So today I just asked for a spot on my first set, just to get me started. After that it was cake; I managed 3 more sets and even was able to start myself off by "bouncing" the dumbbell off my thigh as I moved into position. Did 3 more sets of 6 at 35 lbs after that.

This is a big deal for this 46-year-old chick. :D

Sorry, the only thing I understood was "cake" and your last sentence! :oops:

So ladies and gentlemen, I would like some advice.... or at least, Gilby does.

I posted this on a weighloss website I sometimes frequent and thought to ask you guys too:

"My hubby has recently over the past 3 months or so started working out.

According to the BMI calculator he is right in the middle of a healthy weight for his age, so obviously, doesn't need to lose any.

However he does have a paunch/muffin top developing.... The last year he has moved from a manual job to a desk job. I have explained that you can't target a specific area.

He lifts weights, does pushups, sit ups, squats, planks and short bursts on my step.

He was wondering what else he could do to firm up and as I feel I'm still learning I figured to get advice from you guys.

Many thanks in advance"

Edited by LyndseyG

I posted this on a weighloss website I sometimes frequent and thought to ask you guys too:

According to the BMI calculator he is right in the middle of a healthy weight for his age, so obviously, doesn't need to lose any.

However he does have a paunch/muffin top developing.... The last year he has moved from a manual job to a desk job. I have explained that you can't target a specific area.

He lifts weights, does pushups, sit ups, squats, planks and short bursts on my step.

He was wondering what else he could do to firm up and as I feel I'm still learning I figured to get advice from you guys.

Many thanks in advance"

Great abs are all about the diet. You cannot out exercise a bad diet. You also cannot target fat loss. You lose it where you lose it.

Results will not be overnight no matter what the TV workout ads tell you.

He should keep strength training 2-4 days a week. Total body.

Do interval training (bike, running, swimming, eliptical) 2-4 days a week

Have him figure out what his daily calorie intake should be in order to maintain his weight then have him eat his full daily caloric limit. His diet should consist of lean proteins, veggies and complex carbs. No simple or processed carbs period! Resist the urge to cut calories. You do not want the body to go into starvation mode as this will slow down fat loss by quite a bit. If he is 180 lbs then have him figure out how many calories he needs to eat to maintain 180 and have him try and get within 100 calories of that every day.

Some diet guidelines.

If he lifts heavy 3-4 times a week have him try and maintain a nutrient ratio of protein/fats/carbs at around 30%/15%/55%. If he lifts less than that or lifts light then he should maintain a ratio closer to 15%/30%/55%. Those aren't hard and fast numbers but just general guidelines. The general idea is that if you are going to lift hard and heavy and often, make sure you eat enough protein to maintain those muscles.

Let me know if you have any questions.

• Like 2

Getting back to the gym this past week post surgery has been great. I have been running more and more each day. Today I alternated 2 minutes walking (9 degree incline @ 4 mph) and 4 minutes running (6 mph) all the way through the 40 minutes. It is getting easier and easier to run each session. Once I am free of this cast it should help even more....

Many thanks in advance"

Great abs are all about the diet. You cannot out exercise a bad diet. You also cannot target fat loss. You lose it where you lose it.

Results will not be overnight no matter what the TV workout ads tell you.

He should keep strength training 2-4 days a week. Total body.

Do interval training (bike, running, swimming, eliptical) 2-4 days a week

Have him figure out what his daily calorie intake should be in order to maintain his weight then have him eat his full daily caloric limit. His diet should consist of lean proteins, veggies and complex carbs. No simple or processed carbs period! Resist the urge to cut calories. You do not want the body to go into starvation mode as this will slow down fat loss by quite a bit. If he is 180 lbs then have him figure out how many calories he needs to eat to maintain 180 and have him try and get within 100 calories of that every day.

Some diet guidelines.

If he lifts heavy 3-4 times a week have him try and maintain a nutrient ratio of protein/fats/carbs at around 30%/15%/55%. If he lifts less than that or lifts light then he should maintain a ratio closer to 15%/30%/55%. Those aren't hard and fast numbers but just general guidelines. The general idea is that if you are going to lift hard and heavy and often, make sure you eat enough protein to maintain those muscles.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks TSS! :cheers:

One of the gyms I go to is bringing in a hydrostatic tank next weekend. I signed up to be weighed; I have a general idea of what my body composition is, but it'll be fun to get the ####s. At least I THINK it will be fun. . . . . :unsure:

One of the gyms I go to is bringing in a hydrostatic tank next weekend. I signed up to be weighed; I have a general idea of what my body composition is, but it'll be fun to get the ####s. At least I THINK it will be fun. . . . . :unsure:

That's really cool. I'd be curious about my percentage as well. Even though I already know I'm super fit and powerful. http://i37.tinypic.com/ru6wjd.jpg

• Like 1