Exactly why do people hate Dog Years again?

KenJennings

The lyrics to half the world convey the idea of division among humanity while sounding good in song form.

Not every piece of art needs to be some overtly intellectual endeavor into nuance and subtlety. In fact, when an idea can be communicated simply, it is usually a better idea.

Then he could (and should) have quit after everyone got the idea, which was after the first verse.

• Like 3

The lyrics to half the world convey the idea of division among humanity while sounding good in song form.

Not every piece of art needs to be some overtly intellectual endeavor into nuance and subtlety. In fact, when an idea can be communicated simply, it is usually a better idea.

Then he could (and should) have quit after everyone got the idea, which was after the first verse.

People shit all over Dog Years and then get a collective woody over Half the World. Baffles me. At least Neil was kidding when he wrote Dog Years. Half the World is just lazy.

• Like 4

The lyrics to Dog Years, while falling flat, are light years better than the lyrics to the execrable Half the World

Half the world hates

What half the world does every day

Half the world waits

While half gets on with it anyway

Half the world lives

Half the world makes

Half the world gives

While the other half takes

Half the world is

Half the world was

Half the world thinks

While the other half does

Half the world talks

With half a mind on what they say

Half the world walks

With half a mind to run away

Half the world lies

Half the world learns

Half the world flies

As half the world turns

Half the world cries

Half the world laughs

Half the world tries

To be the other half

Half of us divided

Like a torn-up photograph

Half of us are trying

To reach the other half

Half the world cares

While half the world is wasting the day

Half the world shares

While half the world is stealing away

Lazy post is lazy, and can never prove what the author wants it to. Can we please stop with these?

Read them again. If, after reading them twice, you can find any way to defend them, I'd love to hear it.

Effective juxtaposition of opposites, either in 1 line or 2 lines. Effectively using the same imagery and language to make opposite statements. Accessible and relatable without bludgeoning you to death with a message, though some argue they bludgeon you with repetition. I think the nuances of how he presents similar comparisons in different ways is interesting. I'm not going to pretend that this is high art. But after being forced to listen to the lyrics on most of Counterparts, T4E was a relief.

Effective? Well, I guess. If you're a high school sophomore just discovering the power of effective juxtaposed imagery. However, since Neil was in his mid-40's when he wrote this, it still falls flat.

"Half the world's big, while half the world's small. Half the world falls short while the other half stands tall." That's hard...

Edited by goose

Re Half the World:

Half the lyrics on the debut album are better

And the other half are just as good

• Like 4

The lyrics to Dog Years, while falling flat, are light years better than the lyrics to the execrable Half the World

Half the world hates

Half the world waits

Half the world lives

Half the world makes

Half the world gives

Half the world is

Half the world was

Half the world thinks

Half the world talks

Half the world walks

Half the world lies

Half the world learns

Half the world flies

As half the world turns

Half the world cries

Half the world laughs

Half the world tries

To be the other half

Half of us divided

Half of us are trying

To reach the other half

Half the world cares

Half the world shares

Lazy post is lazy, and can never prove what the author wants it to. Can we please stop with these?

Read them again. If, after reading them twice, you can find any way to defend them, I'd love to hear it.

Effective juxtaposition of opposites, either in 1 line or 2 lines. Effectively using the same imagery and language to make opposite statements. Accessible and relatable without bludgeoning you to death with a message, though some argue they bludgeon you with repetition. I think the nuances of how he presents similar comparisons in different ways is interesting. I'm not going to pretend that this is high art. But after being forced to listen to the lyrics on most of Counterparts, T4E was a relief.

Effective? Well, I guess. If you're a high school sophomore just discovering the power of effective juxtaposed imagery. However, since Neil was in his mid-40's when he wrote this, it still falls flat.

"Half the world's big, while half the world's small. Half the world falls short while the other half stands tall." That's hard...

You messed up the the number of syllables.

• Like 1

I have no intense love or hate for Dog years, however, I have always wondered, "with his tail between his ears", for a dog, would that mean his head up his arse?
  • Like 4

Half the world hates

Half the world waits

Half the world lives

Half the world makes

Half the world gives

Half the world is

Half the world was

Half the world thinks

Half the world talks

Half the world walks

Half the world lies

Half the world learns

Half the world flies

As half the world turns

Half the world cries

Half the world laughs

Half the world tries

To be the other half

Half of us divided

Half of us are trying

To reach the other half

Half the world cares

Half the world shares

:D "Half the world cares, Half the world really couldn't give a shit about the syllabifcation of joke lyrics". See...easy, when you let it flow.

• Like 5

I have no intense love or hate for Dog years, however, I have always wondered, "with his tail between his ears", for a dog, would that mean his head up his arse?

Licking his balls, my friend. Time flies when you're having fun. :P That's why I like this song. Neil is actually pretty clever throughout.

• Like 1

Re Half the World:

Makes me wonder...what were the lyrics that Neil wrote for the song and left out? :facepalm:

• Like 2

Half the world hates

Half the world waits

Half the world lives

Half the world makes

Half the world gives

Half the world is

Half the world was

Half the world thinks

Half the world talks

Half the world walks

Half the world lies

Half the world learns

Half the world flies

As half the world turns

Half the world cries

Half the world laughs

Half the world tries

To be the other half

Half of us divided

Half of us are trying

To reach the other half

Half the world cares

Half the world shares

:D "Half the world cares, Half the world really couldn't give a shit about the syllabifcation of joke lyrics". See...easy, when you let it flow.

It is ironic, though.

The Tortoise from Galapagos line kills it. Ranks up there with Surge of energy, spark of inspiration in Out of the Cradle. Some things just suck the rock right out of a song. Those lines wreck the songs for me. Edited by Pound of Obscure
  • Like 2

The Tortoise from Galapagos line kills it. Ranks up there with Surge of energy, spark of inspiration in Out of the Cradle. Some things just suck the rock right out of a song. Those lines wreck the songs for me.

Wow...I feel the exact opposite on both of those examples.

Re Half the World:

Makes me wonder...what were the lyrics that Neil wrote for the song and left out? :facepalm:

Good question.

Here's hoping it's

Half the world believes I can make Geddy sing this insipid crap

And half the world thinks he's way too proud to do it

• Like 1

Half the world hates

Half the world waits

Half the world lives

Half the world makes

Half the world gives

Half the world is

Half the world was

Half the world thinks

Half the world talks

Half the world walks

Half the world lies

Half the world learns

Half the world flies

As half the world turns

Half the world cries

Half the world laughs

Half the world tries

To be the other half

Half of us divided

Half of us are trying

To reach the other half

Half the world cares

Half the world shares

:goodone:

Half The World, Dog Years, Virtuality, Test For Echo - the lyrics simply cannot be defended. Typing them should really be all the argument needed. It's like saying smurfs are blue vs. posting a picture of a smurf. The picture makes the statement obvious. Posting the lyrics is the same as saying, "this song sucks." It's actually not laziness. It takes longer to find the lyrics and cut and paste them than to say "this song sucks." :P

At least Half the World doesn't have the horribly embarrassing lyrics that those other songs do, they just say Half the World 800 times too many. You hit the nose on the head - it works well as pubescent poetry - as a song, not so much. As a Rush song... not even f*cking close. :no:

It really is a wonder not only that Neil wrote these songs, but that Alex and Geddy approved them, that Geddy sang them and that the management and the label let the band release them (they probably didn't have a choice). Remember, this is the same band that wrote the lyrics on Hemispheres, Permanent Waves, Moving Pictures, Signals, etc. What the hell happened? :huh:

• Like 7

Re Half the World:

Good question.

Here's hoping it's

I always wonder how much power Geddy has over Neil's lyrics - when does he just come out and say that the lyrics are too crappy to sing with any conviction? or just he humble accept Neil's words with a few modifications for scansion and cadence here and there.

Re Half the World:

Good question.

Here's hoping it's

I always wonder how much power Geddy has over Neil's lyrics - when does he just come out and say that the lyrics are too crappy to sing with any conviction? or just he humble accept Neil's words with a few modifications for scansion and cadence here and there.

In interviews they say that sometimes Geddy just likes a phrase, and sometimes he likes everything that comes in.

Re Half the World:

Good question.

Here's hoping it's

In interviews they say that sometimes Geddy just likes a phrase, and sometimes he likes everything that comes in.

Geddy has spoken about this a number of times. Here are a few clips, the first from a series of Clockwork Angels release interviews in 2012 and the second (which is audio only) from 2007, from the making-of-the-album piece featured on the Snakes And Arrows MVI edition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFfw-fgOIPo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qKqHKmGSGE

So the conclusion that can be drawn from this is that all of Rush's lyrics have passed muster with Geddy.

(And I tell myself that that's okay because he's human too! :LOL:)

• Like 2

That first video is particularly illuminating - especially how Geddy can pull lines from different stanzas and put them together in a possible new stanza.
  • Like 1

I think it's because of the cheesy, tongue in cheek lyrics of the song. People can't seem to grasp Neil stepping out of the box of his usual serious, intelligent, introspective lyric writing approach. I love the "tortoise from Galagapos" line:)

:goodone: