Exactly why do people hate Dog Years again?

KenJennings

I think it's musically very well done. The lyrics are just kind of there for me and don't bother me or detract from the music. I do love the "people look to Sirius" line although I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean on a literal level. That wordplay is cool.

Sirius is also known as the "dog star" in the constellation Canis Major (The Great Dog).

Not their most horrendous song - that's probably Anagram. The line "seven years go by as one" has always resonated with me, especially as I get older.

Edit: add Canis Major

I know what Sirius is. It's also the brightest star in the night sky. But what does people look to Sirius mean? Does it have any meaning in itself? Or did he write that just for the "look too serious" wordplay?

I think it's musically very well done. The lyrics are just kind of there for me and don't bother me or detract from the music. I do love the "people look to Sirius" line although I'm not sure what it's supposed to mean on a literal level. That wordplay is cool.

Sirius is also known as the "dog star" in the constellation Canis Major (The Great Dog).

Not their most horrendous song - that's probably Anagram. The line "seven years go by as one" has always resonated with me, especially as I get older.

I know what Sirius is. It's also the brightest star in the night sky. But what does people look to Sirius mean? Does it have any meaning in itself? Or did he write that just for the "look too serious" wordplay?

My guess is that because people have always "looked to the stars" for answers (astrologists or other people of faith, for whom "looking to the stars" means looking to heaven, or praying) - and sirius is the dog star - therefore, "in the dog days people look to sirius." Neil loves his puns.

My guess is that because people have always "looked to the stars" for answers (astrologists or other people of faith, for whom "looking to the stars" means looking to heaven, or praying) - and sirius is the dog star - therefore, "in the dog days people look to sirius." Neil loves his puns.

I thought it might have had some deeper relevance than simply looking to the stars (even if it's a dog one). Thought maybe it referred to some specific action in an ancient religion or belief system where Sirius was worshipped or something.

I thought it might have had some deeper relevance than simply looking to the stars (even if it's a dog one). Thought maybe it referred to some specific action in an ancient religion or belief system where Sirius was worshipped or something.

People did worship sirius - I think it's one of the brightest stars. I don't know too much about it, though. "Dog days" does suggest a period of fatigue, maybe, so looking towards something bright might be important to pick one up out of the doldrums?

People did worship sirius - I think it's one of the brightest stars. I don't know too much about it, though. "Dog days" does suggest a period of fatigue, maybe, so looking towards something bright might be important to pick one up out of the doldrums?

Maybe he thought it was just "funny". Reminds me of the line "I've got celestial mechanics to synchronize my stars" from Totem which I absolutey love.

• Like 1

Hmmm. From Wikipedia: "The heliacal rising of Sirius marked the flooding of the Nile in Ancient Egypt and the "dog days" of summer for the ancient Greeks, while to the Polynesians it marked winter and was an important star for navigation around the Pacific Ocean."

It was classically depicted as Orion's dog. The Ancient Greeks thought that Sirius's emanations could affect dogs adversely, making them behave abnormally during the "dog days," the hottest days of the summer. The Romans knew these days as dies caniculares, and the star Sirius was called Canicula, "little dog." The excessive panting of dogs in hot weather was thought to place them at risk of desiccation and disease. In extreme cases, a foaming dog might have rabies, which could infect and kill humans whom they had bitten.[25] Homer, in the Iliad, describes the approach of Achilles toward Troy in these words:

Sirius rises late in the dark, liquid sky

On summer nights, star of stars,

Orion's Dog they call it, brightest

Of all, but an evil portent, bringing heat

And fevers to suffering humanity.[

Neil must have read that.

Edited by savagegrace26

Interesting. Neil sure does know his dog stuff...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_Days

The Romans referred to the dog days as diēs caniculārēs and associated the hot weather with the star Sirius. They considered Sirius to be the "Dog Star" because it is the brightest star in the constellation Canis Major (Large Dog). Sirius is also the brightest star in the night sky. The term "Dog Days" was used earlier by the Greeks (see, e.g., Aristotle's Physics, 199a2).

The Dog Days originally were the days when Sirius rose just before or at the same time as the sun (heliacal rising), which is no longer true, owing to precession of the equinoxes. The Romans sacrificed a red dog in April to appease the rage of Sirius, believing that the star was the cause of the hot, sultry weather.

Dog Days were popularly believed to be an evil time "the Sea boiled, the Wine turned sour, Dogs grew mad, and all other creatures became languid; causing to man, among other diseases, burning fevers, hysterics, and phrensies." according to Brady’s Clavis Calendaria, 1813.[1]

Edited by savagegrace26

I think it's musically very well done. That wordplay is cool.

I would like to hear it live. The musicianship is good and it has a good pace for a live setting.

The Color of Right has really grown on me and might be one of my faves now. Really nice song. Color, Totem and the title track are my top 3.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ogyWXNsKt3I/RujDNdY4UNI/AAAAAAAAATM/8EiJobOGD5Q/s400/ecard+entitled+to+incorrect+opinion.jpg

just how many of these shitty e-cards do you plan on posting?

(and yes, it would be extremely clever to use yet another in response)

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/its-a-joke-not-a-dick.jpg

Its a pooey song. Its a fine guilty pleasure, jokey tune, but next to Driven and Carve Away The Stone...it kinda sucks!
  • Like 1

People like to shit on the lyrics to this song, and I agree that they are not very good but this song has more to offer lyrically than it does musically

Its a pooey song. Its a fine guilty pleasure, jokey tune, but next to Driven and Carve Away The Stone...it kinda sucks!

Segue, could it be there is a song you don't like?! :o

;)

Segue, could it be there is a song you don't like?! :o

;)

Neurotica and Face Up come close...I kinda like Dog Years...

Edited by Segue Myles
  • Like 1

Musically, it's somewhat promising... The lyrics are downright awful though. Neil was apparently hung over when he wrote this, and it shows.

Really? That kinda makes me like it more!

Rush is my favorite band ever, so I can understand a fan trying to defend them to detractors. Hooooowever: The lyrics of Dog Years are NOT witty, or ironic, or funny, in my opinion. They are just general things Neil knows about dogs tossed together in a salad bowl and tossed around.

"Chasing cars in doggy heaven." Really?

"When all the bones are buried, there is barely time to go outside and play." Why in the hell is the dog burying bones INSIDE to begin with?

Musically, it's okay. The slower "tortoise" section is really quite well done. The lyrics just suck the enjoyment out of the song for me.

• Like 1

Rush is my favorite band ever, so I can understand a fan trying to defend them to detractors. Hooooowever: The lyrics of Dog Years are NOT witty, or ironic, or funny, in my opinion. They are just general things Neil knows about dogs tossed together in a salad bowl and tossed around.

"When all the bones are buried, there is barely time to go outside and play." Why in the hell is the dog burying bones INSIDE to begin with?

Musically, it's okay. The slower "tortoise" section is really quite well done. The lyrics just suck the enjoyment out of the song for me.

Ok...the fact the doggies bury bones inside their homes makes me like this song even more...

Neil spent too many dark rainy days stuck inside watching All Dogs Go To Heaven?

• Like 1

Neil spent too many dark rainy days stuck inside watching All Dogs Go To Heaven?

I was just about to post a reference to that film, haha!

• Like 1

Ok...the fact the doggies bury bones inside their homes makes me like this song even more...

Okay...so there is ONE reason to bury bones inside. :drool: But why would you want to leave that to go outside and play?

• Like 1

I was just about to post a reference to that film, haha!

Great minds think alike. :LOL:

I liked this song when it first came out. I thought it was different, catchy.

I hadn't listened to it for quite sometime until last summer when our 12 year old dog died. He had passed away in the night and I found him in the morning. He was my rock through some difficult times.

Man, to listen to this song that day - well - it made me chuckle, laugh, cry. That's when I realized the purpose of this song - for me anyway. It helped through the first few days. It's just a silly song, nothing more and nothing less. So what if it's cheesy. It brought a smile to my face that day when I was hurting......I'm fairly certain that even Rush is allowed to do that from time to time......They don't always have to be about alienations and reservations, self reflections and inspirations. They don't always have to be about retrospectives and worldly perspectives. They don't have to be about the past, present, or future. They can just be...silly...and like everything else they have attempted in their careers...that's ok...........

Edited by dtpoet

I hadn't listened to it for quite sometime until last summer when our 12 year old dog died. He had passed away in the night and I found him in the morning. He was my rock through some difficult times.

Man, to listen to this song that day - well - it made me chuckle, laugh, cry. That's when I realized the purpose of this song - for me anyway. It helped through the first few days. It's just a silly song, nothing more and nothing less. So what if it's cheesy. It brought a smile to my face that day when I was hurting......I'm fairly certain that even Rush is allowed to do that from time to time......They don't always have to be about alienations and reservations, self reflections and inspirations. They don't always have to be about retrospectives and worldly perspectives. They don't have to be about the past, present, or future. They can just be...silly...and like everything else they have attempted in their careers...that's ok...........

This is precisely why we need to all enjoy a good laff!

Glad you had something to cheer you up that sad day..

• Like 1

http://www.reinventioninc.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/stuart_smalley_al_franken-620x300.jpg