Exactly why do people hate Dog Years again?

KenJennings

It's par for the course for T4E.

Awesome music and arrangement - like great. Pushing the boundaries of what the band had ever done before.

Alex is totally inspired on T4E. Virtuality is AWESOME. Musically speaking. The bridge is actually danceable. But the song SUCKS because the lyrics are horrible.

And Geddy is gradually, but increasingly, shoe-horning vocal passages too.

Unfortunately, NP seems to be struggling lyrically on the entire album. The little witticisms on Dog Years are wince-inducing.

Awesome music and arrangement - like great. Pushing the boundaries of what the band had ever done before.

Alex is totally inspired on T4E. Virtuality is AWESOME. Musically speaking. The bridge is actually danceable. But the song SUCKS because the lyrics are horrible.

Unfortunately, NP seems to be struggling lyrically on the entire album. The little witticisms on Dog Years are wince-inducing.

What exactly do you dislike about T4E? Lyrically it is brilliant commentary on society and its penchant to turn crime and violence into a commercial product and entertainment.

What exactly do you dislike about T4E? Lyrically it is brilliant commentary on society and its penchant to turn crime and violence into a commercial product and entertainment.

It's the lyrics. So preachy and on the nose. Snakes and Arrows had the same problem. There is no word economy - just blathering on and on to drive a point home - whatever that point is.

Like with Resist.

The song is rendered meaningless by the constant contradictions. What is he trying to say here. Very similar to Faithless with so much mumbo jumbo and confused prose.

It's the lyrics. So preachy and on the nose. Snakes and Arrows had the same problem. There is no word economy - just blathering on and on to drive a point home - whatever that point is.

Like with Resist.

The song is rendered meaningless by the constant contradictions. What is he trying to say here. Very similar to Faithless with so much mumbo jumbo and confused prose.

1 The "contradiction"

“I can resist anything except temptation.” is a quote from Oscar Wilde's play, Lady Windermere's Fan. (Wilde meant this ironically to mean that he could not resist the things that tempted him. c.f. with another famous quote "There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that's not being talked about.")

2. We've met Oscar before

This is not the first time we have encountered Wilde. From The Pass "All of us do time in the gutter / Dreamers learn to look at the stars" also comes from Lady Windermere's Fan (""We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars")

3. Unexpected ally in your view

I like enough songs on the album, but check out what NEP said himself:

Test for Echo was a strange record in a sense. It doesn’t really have a defined direction. I kind of felt like we were a bit burnt creatively. It was a creative low time for us.

https://progarchy.co...terpiece/#_ftn5

Edited by The400Boys

Like with Resist.

1 The "contradiction"

“I can resist anything except temptation.” is a quote from Oscar Wilde's play, Lady Windermere's Fan. (Wilde meant this ironically to mean that he could not resist the things that tempted him. c.f. with another famous quote "There is only one thing worse than being talked about, and that's not being talked about.")

2. We've met Oscar before

This is not the first time we have encountered Wilde. From The Pass "All of us do time in the gutter / Dreamers learn to look at the stars" also comes from Lady Windermere's Fan (""We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars")

3. Unexpected ally in your view

I like enough songs on the album, but check out what NEP said himself:

Test for Echo was a strange record in a sense. It doesn’t really have a defined direction. I kind of felt like we were a bit burnt creatively. It was a creative low time for us.

https://progarchy.co...terpiece/#_ftn5

The song really wouldn’t be about ‘resistance’ right? It’d be about temptation. But that doesn’t get revisited in the song! It’s just a line just thrown in there. In The Pass the Oscar word play fits perfectly. It doesn’t work in Resist though.

The song really wouldn’t be about ‘resistance’ right? It’d be about temptation. But that doesn’t get revisited in the song! It’s just a line just thrown in there. In The Pass the Oscar word play fits perfectly. It doesn’t work in Resist though.

1 My take is that the line does fit. It was meant to be taken ironically, as was the entire song and the album. (See #3 below). Compare this to “Democracy is the worst form of government, except for all the others.” (Winston S. Churchill).

2 Starting with p/g, Peart began writing songs about how screwed up the world is and this is more one. What does he say he is not able to bear? Temptation, desires, frustration and finally injustice. This then is a statement of he can't tolerate any of these things and how we should not either ("You can fight / Without ever winning // But never ever win / Without a fight")

---

3 [source mentioned above]

[“It’s about the numbing process that happens when we are exposed to great tragedies and then we’re exposed to moments of hilarity,” said singer-bassist Geddy Lee, whose band returns Tuesday to Target Center in Minneapolis. “I feel that that’s the condition of contemporary man now – when we read the paper or when we watch TV, we’re not sure if we’re supposed to laugh.”

-https://progarchy.co...nt-masterpiece/]

Edited by The400Boys

I don't care for TFE's production. It has an odd fuzziness /over distorted-saturation to it that Counterparts didn't. Geddy's bass didn't sound as good either.

I remember my buddy complaining at the time that parts of Limbo just sound like noise

I don't care for TFE's production. It has an odd fuzziness /over distorted-saturation to it that Counterparts didn't. Geddy's bass didn't sound as good either.

I remember my buddy complaining at the time that parts of Limbo just sound like noise

Mmm Mash gooood!