Saratoga...what happened guys?

Wow you stole my thunder! I traveled 4+ hours from Buffalo to get to the show, and had a good time. The boys were Excellent, vocals great, plenty of energy, having fun etc. I was in section 20 which is in the corner of the balcony. I could see the boys well, but could not see the back big screen, nor the string ensemble.

I agree with you fully, where I was sitting, the crowd was super LAME! I didnt expect the balcony to stand for the whole show but I was suprised when they didnt stand for the opening song, the hits or the encores! Parts of the floor looked pretty lame too. I am telling you, you could not even get an applause out of some of these people. What fustrates me is this: Geddy, Alex, and Neil are all either 60 or about to be, yet they put on an incredibly demanding, long and quality show every other night, I really dont know how they do it. I am always in awe after leaving. To me it is almost disrespectful not to show some real appretiation for this, even if you dont love the setlist. Just watch Rush in Rio! They actually feed off the crowd energy!

I personally love Signals, GUP, and PoW, and think CA is one of the top 4 or 5 albums they have ever produced, and live is even better than studio. Dont people know this is the CLOCKWORK ANGELS TOUR?! Why wouldnt someone at least listen to the songs on youtube before shelling out the big bucks? I think the Causal fan that makes up most of the audience, wants them to be like Journey, REO, Foreigner, ZZ Top and all the other bands that play the hits over and over and over. Rush is not like that as they continue to evolve and be innovative and creative. They are not doing this just to collect a check, they want to please the Die hard fans, and themselves. People want to hear the songs played on the radio, I get that, but I do NOT understand why people were so dead at SPAC for songs like Headlong Flight, or Clockwork Angels, EPIC songs! These songs should theoretically please the 70s rush lovers as there is no synth, and the songs are so hard edged.

I sat most of the show out of consideration for the majority but rocked out, air drumming, tapping my feet and moving to the music. I also stood and cheered after most songs. I dont care that people sat in the balcony although I would rather have stood, but the general disintrest and unappreciative attitude was a downer, try as I did to not let it affect me. It sucks being so into a band and being forced to sit next to and around people who look like they are sitting at the waiting room waiting for a colonoscopy, or for the HIV test results to come back.

On the way out I heard people bitcn that they didnt play FLY BY NIGHT! Are you kidding me? Whens the last time they played that live? Others complaining about the new material and that it sucked! Were we watching the same show? Dont know why people spend good money if they are going to be miserable.

I think it could have to do with society in general though. Maybe not just Rush crowds. People dont seem to be too passionate about anything these days if it isnt stuffing their face with fast food. Sad

My solution? From now on If I am going to go the closest as possible where people seem to be more into it.. I was row 4 in Buffalo

Exactly!

Not to mention knowing how Geddy spends his days off in between shows in order to deliver the performance he does! Not that your average Joe is aware of that, but I am!

Yes, when it is called the Clockwork Angels Tour, you should really appreciate everything not on the album as icing on the (oh so delicious) cake. I guess I can KIND of understand that because I know lots of other bands go on tour to promote their new album and play maybe 3 songs off of it. People probably go in expecting as much out of Rush.

You are 100% dead on, thats exactly what it felt like for me, standing in between a group of people in the waiting room.

I also heard a bunch of complaining on my way out about various things and it REALLY struck a nerve.

What were the complaints about? I've experienced this at many concerts I've been to before, not just Rush shows. If possible, I insert myself in to the conversation and try and educate those who complain about the band not doing this or that.

Don't think it is a Rush thing, it's actually the problem with society these days. I'm a Liverpool Football Club fan and these days people leave before the end of the match. Some events, there are empty seats even though the event is sold out, just look at Wimbledon and the recent London Olympics. In the 'old days' we didn't know the set list ahead of time and it was like Christmas especially when Subdivisions was added to The Trees. The atmosphere was electric for the encores because we didn't know what they would play. Now everyone knows everything and there are no surprises, and people head out early worrying about getting home ahead of the traffic.

It's just the way the world is now, unfortunately.

I agree, its become more of a Society thing. A technology thing! You see more people looking down at their I-Phones and texting than actually watching the show. Everyone want to show the rest of the world that their lives isn't as boring and mediocre as it really is. "#$#$#$ is at the movies", or "Eating Dinner with the boys" or in this case "Watching RUSH take the stage"! I can't Wait until this phase of human evolution comes to and end or at least evolves. Oh wait, I just got a text!

:syrinx:

• Like 2

What were the complaints about? I've experienced this at many concerts I've been to before, not just Rush shows. If possible, I insert myself in to the conversation and try and educate those who complain about the band not doing this or that.

They didn't play (song they play pretty often)?!

They played too slow!

I should have just came for the last half hour!

Time machine was a lot better!

Could have did without the orchestra!

Just be clear I'm not trying to make it out that the entire place was an angry mob after the show. I just happened to hear this stuff while walking by, rolling my eyes at each one. The too slow one and should have came for the last half hour are really the ones that bugged me the most.

That is frustrating to hear that. Maybe Rush likes it at the slower tempo. Some people don't know how to let music breathe. :)

Something that I'll never understand:

"Sure I'll spend $120 dollars to go see the Clockwork Angels Tour, but I won't spend $15 for the Clockwork Angels CD."

After the show:

"Why did they play so much new crap that I've never heard of?"

• Like 4

I can understand a few attendees not knowing a lot of the material, particularly anything post-'81, but I'll never truly understand some of the animosity that's hurled towards their synth-era material...
  • Like 1

Guess NA Rush fans are too spoiled by the band playing there frequently than in Europe, where they tour once every few years. Can't imagine european fans being picky about the setlist.

Tai Shan? Speed of Love? Ghost of a Chance? Bring'em on!

• Like 3

It's very different to see Rush in Europe, where some of the shows are general admission (Germany, Holland...). Great atmosphere there. To me it's better to walk around and choose your own spot, than standing straight in a row, in front of your seat. Plus, you get the chance to see the boys up close, for less than 90 Dollar.
  • Like 1

I love all the different phases of Rush music, even the 80's and 90's era ( I saw them live 3 times in this period) and the songs live are so powerful. Edited by RUSHian62
  • Like 1

On the way out I heard people bitcn that they didnt play FLY BY NIGHT! Are you kidding me? Whens the last time they played that live? Others complaining about the new material and that it sucked! Were we watching the same show? Dont know why people spend good money if they are going to be miserable.

LMAO

If Geddy did have to sing Fly By Night then it'd have to be the last song of the encore and he'd have to have an appt. to have an ambulance there to take him to the hospital to have throat surgery after every performance. LOL

That's one of the songs on his "don't ever sing again" list.

I think it could have to do with society in general though. Maybe not just Rush crowds. People dont seem to be too passionate about anything these days if it isnt stuffing their face with fast food. Sad

My solution? From now on If I am going to go the closest as possible where people seem to be more into it.. I was row 4 in Buffalo

I hear ya. I see more people messin' w/ their phones than watching the show too. I'll spare us the conversation about that, but in short the attention span of Americans from children to adults has vaporized.

As to people buying tix up close and not caring, what's funny about that is that other concert tix, say for Styx/REO, etc. can be had for a fraction of what a Rush show costs. Top tix for those shows rarely goes above $50 and I'm leaving a lot of room at the top in most cases.

Not only that, but you get only half the original band, usually the douche bag half as in the case of Cronin and REO.

I can understand a few attendees not knowing a lot of the material, particularly anything post-'81, but I'll never truly understand some of the animosity that's hurled towards their synth-era material...

Wow. "Post-'81".

That equates to 33 years of living in more-or-less Rush ignorance while focusing on just seven years of pre-81 music.

• Like 2

Wow. "Post-'81".

That equates to 33 years of living in more-or-less Rush ignorance while focusing on just seven years of pre-81 music.

Yeah, that was the height of the band's popularity. When was the last time you heard anything post-Subdivisions on the radio?

When I tell people that I'm going to see Rush, I get a lot of "Wait, they're still around?". If you want to really blow peoples minds, just say "Yeah, they also put out a new album last year, and it completely rules!"

I still don't understand why anybody would go see a band that they haven't cared about since the early 80's.

• Like 1

Wow. "Post-'81".

Yeah, that was the height of the band's popularity. When was the last time you heard anything post-Subdivisions on the radio?

When I tell people that I'm going to see Rush, I get a lot of "Wait, they're still around?". If you want to really blow peoples minds, just say "Yeah, they also put out a new album last year, and it completely rules!"

I still don't understand why anybody would go see a band that they haven't cared about since the early 80's.

I got a similar comment from my boss when I told him what I was doing this week - he said "Rush, that's like going to see the Doobie Brothers?" I almost had a geek freak out ass kickin moment, but thought better of it.

• Like 1

I've discussed this several times on this board....

yes, there are diehards in the audience....

but more and more this is what i see....

families, nothing wrong with that....but, and not always, but families where there are parents who like rush, maybe one of the children like rush, but then there is a 13 year girl who doesn't care whatsoever about what is in front of her....she is bored to death and wondering why she agreed to this family night out...i saw this the other night....

a bunch of buddies....they are all drunk, high fiving each other, not because rush is on the stage, but that they have seats up front and are now big shots.....they yell into each other's ear about how they liked rush in 1982 when they were in high school, blah, blah, blah...they keep drinking, sometimes falling into each other, or fall over the floor chairs (this happened at jones beach, i thought the guy was going to be seriously injured the way he fell) they take pictures of each other with the band behind them and generally get really bored by the middle of the CA material and thankfully leave for more beer and don't come back at all or just in time for TSOR...

a huge fan with his/her spouse who just doesn't get rush....boy, do i hate this one....you got one guy (or girl) rocking out to Rush, and their spouse/significant other is just so out of their mind miserable....saw this the other night....the woman dragged her boyfriend/husband out of there around YYZ and never came back and she just looked like she was going to killl someone...

So, while the rest of us are rocking out to the band, there are many in attendance who don't really want to be there....or thought they wanted to be there only to find out they are bored because they don't know the songs....you have to admit, even with cool riffs and how awesome all of them play, if you don't know the songs, it is harder with rush to get into it on first listen, it takes a little time to have the songs sink in, to know where they are going, to learn some lyrics or neil's patterns, whatever....

I don't really go to concerts if I don't really want to be there, but i suppose if a buddy called me and i was available and he offered me a free ticket to a band, i would be inclined to go just to see my friend and have a night out....hopefully i would have some respect for the band and the other fans and not be some drunken fool....

• Like 1

So true about Rush needing more than one listen. I love the band and it took me at least 3 listens to truly get CA now it is one of my all time favorites.

The last 2 shows I didn't really drink because I found I missed or forgot too much when I did drink.

To be honest I don't really make the effort to see any other bands too expensive and hard to coordinate I would rather see Rush multiple times

Edited by hcm
  • Like 1

I don't harbor any ill-will to the Saratoga audience. It's really not "they only wanted the hits" so much as "they didn't want just the Keyboard Era and the new album, and little else." I felt almost the same way last year when the setlist was a surprise to me, on opening night in New Hampshire. I couldn't believe how lopsided the setlist was with Keyboard Era material. (But perhaps unlike the Saratoga audience, I do like the new album.) This time I was aware going-in that the setlist was what it was, and I was prepared.

As for them sitting, can you really use that as a barometer of how "into" the music the audience is? I for one - and my concert-going friends for two and three - would prefer to sit throughout the entire show anyway. What are we going to do on our feet that we can't do sitting down? Dance to Rush??? When I saw people sitting (and when we sat ourselves), it was during the slower songs; that's not necessarily an expression of us not liking the song, it's just a good time to get off your feet for a spell.

The whole ampitheater went nuts and sang along when "Spirit of Radio" arrived. I've never been part of such vocal unity at a concert before; it was awesome, and it was the AUDIENCE who made that happen. And really, after more than two hours of Keyboard Era and new stuff, the audience was starved for classic Rush material like "Spirit of Radio"... is it any surprise it was received so well?

Edited by GeddyRulz
  • Like 1

I don't harbor any ill-will to the Saratoga audience. It's really not "they only wanted the hits" so much as "they didn't want just the Keyboard Era and the new album, and little else." I felt almost the same way last year when the setlist was a surprise to me, on opening night in New Hampshire. I couldn't believe how lopsided the setlist was with Keyboard Era material. (But perhaps unlike the Saratoga audience, I do like the new album.) This time I was aware going-in that the setlist was what it was, and I was prepared.

As for them sitting, can you really use that as a barometer of how "into" the music the audience is? I for one - and my concert-going friends for two and three - would prefer to sit throughout the entire show anyway. What are we going to do on our feet that we can't do sitting down? Dance to Rush??? When I saw people sitting (and when we sat ourselves), it was during the slower songs; that's not necessarily an expression of us not liking the song, it's just a good time to get off your feet for a spell.

The whole ampitheater went nuts and sang along when "Spirit of Radio" arrived. I've never been part of such vocal unity at a concert before; it was awesome, and it was the AUDIENCE who made that happen. And really, after more than two hours of Keyboard Era and new stuff, the audience was starved for classic Rush material like "Spirit of Radio"... is it any surprise it was received so well?

You're right about this. I was fortunate enough to have been so enthralled by the band's energy and passion that I enjoyed pretty much every song I heard at my first Rush gig, including a few that I knew but didn't think I liked and many that I didn't know at all, but even so it was a big, pardon the expression, RUSH when they came out of the Snakes And Arrows block at the top of the second set and went into Subdivisions.

This isn't just a "Rush" thing. It happens more and more with every band. It seems the the more expensive the ticket the worse it gets.

Myself, I enjoy whatever the band has to play. I try to remember my interest in music is on a level different from most. What would please me would not do the same for 90% of the crowd. I also try to keep in mind there are many first timers in the crowd and they DO want to hear Tom Sawyer, Limelight, and Spirit of Radio. I may not, but it is part of trying to play to a diverse crowd. Not every song will please every person but there should be at least something for everybody at some point.

Rush is not going to be here all that many more years. When that days comes, most of us would kill for just one more "Limelight" or "Working Man", and yes even a "Force 10" would be a joy to hear if that is all they have left in them.

• Like 1

I sometimes wonder if one of the reasons they play a lot of deep cuts and new stuff is so they can get a ten times stronger reaction from the crowd when the hits do come? I've been to shows where bands play hit after hit the whole set and it can wear out the crowd before the shows even finished. It's like they want the bulk of the crowd to save up their energy for the handful of hits they do play. It might even make the guys more enthusiastic while playing the big hits when the crowd is so responsive to them.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 1

I sometimes wonder if one of the reasons they play a lot of deep cuts and new stuff is so they can get a ten times stronger reaction from the crowd when the hits do come? I've been to shows where bands play hit after hit the whole set and it can wear out the crowd before the shows even finished. It's like they want the bulk of the crowd to save up their energy for the handful of hits they do play. It might even make the guys more enthusiastic while playing the big hits when the crowd is so responsive to them.

They certainly do carefully place the big hits within the setlist with the crowd's reaction in mind, but I think the biggest reason they play a lot of deep cuts and new stuff is because that's what they're excited about playing. I don't think they're worried about wearing out the crowd so much as they don't want to feel bored and unchallenged by the setlist.

• Like 1